Makings for a new Stove

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Makings for a new Stove

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Just found one of these charcoal starters locally for $20.00 bucks. It will be modified into a stove. We will use it for charcoal starting when we do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking this year. It's made of heavy stainless steel, tougher than nails!!!! :D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KWKR7E/?tag=dtan-20

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

simplepeddler

Re: Makings for a new Stove

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Actually use one to cook fresh tuna.

I like my tuna seared and cold in the center.
Load this little baby with charcoal and get it piping hot and cook one piece and then slice.

Oh, there is nothing like tuna caught and cooked in the same day! Might I add.......Tuna is "lovin" fish.
You bring home fresh tuna and mama cat gives up the YOU KNOW WHAT.

hope I can say that ............. :oops: :oops:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 am

Load this little baby with charcoal and get it piping hot and cook one piece and then slice.

Cold in the center..............hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!that sounds interesting. I ate a lot of raw fish when I was in Sweden. Open face fish sandwhiches were quite tasty.

Do they have a fresh fish market in your town that you can buy fresh caught tuna. A friend of mine has fresh jumbo shrimp flown in a few times a year from Louisiana(his home town)

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:03 am

I guess "cool" is better.......

Actually I am blessed to get out several times a year myself.
We fish out of the mouth of the Mississippi. Also duck hunt that area.

Carry the alcohol stoves in our boats and blind bags for emergency and heat!!

My personal best so far is a Yellow Fin Tuna that scaled at 146lbs.
All on stand up gear.
We are truly blessed down here........limit of ducks in the morning and limits of red fish and trout on the afternoon.........four or five times this year alone.
Attachments
IMG_0302.jpg

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:00 pm

You are very lucky to have such recreation available for sure!!!!

I envision millions upon millions of duck flying overhead and hitting them with rocks to bring them down. :lol:

My personal best so far is a Yellow Fin Tuna that scaled at 146lbs.
All on stand up gear.

Whoa!!!! bet that one sent the adrenalin flowing in high gear :D Do you fish out of chartered boats or do have a big one of your own. Mouth of the Mississippi must be some big waters where it enters the ocean.

Did your boys bag the ducks and fish?

Lucky You!!!! :D

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:40 pm

IMG_0172.jpg
Yea........it took and hour and forty five minutes to boat it!! I puked after wards......it was great!! LOL

We charter some, but I do get a chance to get my own boat out when weather permits.
I will be making a trek from Lake Maurepas to Perdido pass in a few weeks for the annual Mullet Toss at the Floura-Bama. (google that one!) No fishing on this trip just a bunch of buddies I went for K-12 grade with......

Lake Maurepas is west of the Ponchatrain, you can see it on most maps of Louisiana.

My son is on the left, and yes at fourteen, this is the first year that he and my college buddies boys can take their own Pirogue.
the pictures attached was from our September teal season.
We spend a considerable amount of time on the water.

below is the "Simpleddler" she is a custom 26 foot all aluminum hull with 9' 8" inch beam.........boat rocks! there is really nothing I am afraid of when she is under us.
Attachments
IMG_0181.JPG

stevebo

Postby stevebo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Zelph, nice find on the charcoal starter-----------Ive got an old rusty one that Ive used for years---still works great! I just pack the bottom with pine straw , pour charcoal on top, lite it and youre good to go! (excellent for dutch oven cooking) Mine is just about shot-------I just might have to get a stainless steel one! Thanks for the idea!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 pm

stevebo wrote:Zelph, nice find on the charcoal starter-----------Ive got an old rusty one that Ive used for years---still works great! I just pack the bottom with pine straw , pour charcoal on top, lite it and youre good to go! (excellent for dutch oven cooking) Mine is just about shot-------I just might have to get a stainless steel one! Thanks for the idea!

Every day price at "Tuesday Morning" store in my town is $20.00....hope you can find one in your area. My old one was in need of retirement. The new one is larger in diamater. Makes for a big stove and lots of charcoal :mrgreen:

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:33 pm

zelph wrote:

Cold in the center..............hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!that sounds interesting. I ate a lot of raw fish when I was in Sweden. Open face fish sandwhiches were quite tasty.

Listen to Simplepeddler about cold in the center tuna, for he knows of what he speaks.

My parents lived in the Bahamas for a few years and dragging baits behind the boat was a requirement when I went to visit. Large percentages of tuna were eaten right at the cleaning table, sushimi style. Dad actually kept soy sauce and wasabi in the beer cooler when we'd head out fishing. What wasn't eaten raw was treated to a scant few minutes on the grill where it would get little more than salt, pepper and lime juice.

My grandparents were all emigrants from Sweden, too. I'd kill for some of grandma's pickled herring (Scandinavian ceviche ;-) ) these days. Swedes will eat anything, somethings are outstanding, and some that would probably get you fined for polluting the water if you tried to use them for fishing bait, like lutefisk.

Ordin (made in America with Swedish parts)
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:55 am

I wish I could sink my teeth into fresh caught tuna and see how it tastes. I'll have to visit the local market to see if any fresh tuna is around. Got me thinking sushi bar.

I only had lutefisk once, that was enough for me. There must be a special way to eat it. Carp tastes good baked on a pine board. Lots of fresh veggies and spices and marinades splashed over it while baking. Bake well 20 min. remove from oven and eat the pine board :DBfire: :hungry:

What affect does "searing" have on the tuna, flavor?

Now I have got to go out and get a jar of pickled herring, seriously ;) Made me drool thinking about it :D

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”