White Box Stove

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
oops56

Re: White Box Stove

Post by oops56 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Well i did it i tame the white box getting small flame for the heine can.A 1/2 oz. fuel 2 mil of water added do need prime to get it going 2 mil of water my be to much try 1 mil next time but you lose some heat burn time 4 min. water 160F. So 3/4 fuel and 2 mil water should be just right. do later
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat May 03, 2008 1:03 am

Right now I have 500 made and am starting another batch of 250. Doing 1 step of the operation at a time for a larger number of bottles helps cut down the time tremendously. I will admit the monotony does get to me after awhile. If you saw my operation and how simple I've made it would knock your socks off.
Bill, is the WBS made from aluminum beer bottles? 750 is roughly 31 cases of Bud Lite-----now we're talking. ;) Party in Bill's garage ! :lol: BYOB, must be aluminum bottles though! :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

billinmt

Post by billinmt » Sat May 03, 2008 1:18 am

Bill, is the WBS made from aluminum beer bottles? 750 is roughly 31 cases of Bud Lite-----now we're talking. ;) Party in Bill's garage ! :lol: BYOB, must be aluminum bottles though! :D
Sorry I don't have a garage. Yes they are beer bottles. I buy them from a guy back east. Don't know where he gets them but when I order 500 to 1000 at a time it only takes him a couple of days to get them. He cleans, dries and boxes them and I pay him per bottle plus shipping. I found out it wasn't worth my time to check the local watering holes because they never have them in large numbers. I also have a friend, believe it or not I do have a couple of friends, who collects from a couple pubs and brings me 75 to 100 every six or eight weeks or so.

Bill in MT

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat May 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Zelph said:
tinny did't copy it, somekind of agreement/trade for rolled edge secret being passed on to bill I think. That right bill?
Bill said:
There is no secret agreement between us, never has been-never will be, it is just a kind gesture from one stove maker to another.
The rolled edge being the secret part, letting you in on the secret was a kind jesture on tinny's part.
We've all seen the Youtube video Tinny did on the WBS. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYjn8Urk7YA He volunteered to do the video review because he thought the review done by Roger Caffin from BPL http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... eview.html was a little bogus.
I had not view it until yesterday. I will view the Review made by BPL once again and make a hard copy of it. There are some things in there that are interesting.

Bill, can you direct us to some standards that we should go by to review your stove? I'm performing basic tests in this thread, when finished I'll post a review in the Cottage Industries Forum.

When your website is up, post a notice in the "General" Forum under "New Websites"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

billinmt

Post by billinmt » Sat May 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Bill, can you direct us to some standards that we should go by to review your stove? I'm performing basic tests in this thread, when finished I'll post a review in the Cottage Industries Forum.
I don't guess there is a standard for alcohol stoves to be tested by. Since it is hard to get two different people to use the same materials: water temp, water amount, altitude, pot size, type of fuel, etc. everyone will have a different outcome.

The WBS works best with wider (5-6 inch) pots and the windscreen. It was designed to be able to boil enough water for several campers and that is what most other stoves won't do on a single fill of fuel. I've actually boiled 8 cups of water on 2 ounces of fuel and it continued to boil for another 3 minutes. Not many, if any, alky can stoves can do that.

Although I use the WBS when I go solo it is better suited for groups but I still use it and it works well.

oops found a way to use it on Heineken pots so that is good news also.

Some stoves are made with small pots in mind and others for wider ones. A single standard would work good for some and leave others looking awful bad even though they are good stoves. Pick a stove that meets your needs and that should be good enough.

Bill in MT

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat May 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Some stoves are made with small pots in mind and others for wider ones. A single standard would work good for some and leave others looking awful bad even though they are good stoves. Pick a stove that meets your needs and that should be good enough.
Well said, Bill ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat May 03, 2008 5:02 pm

I don't guess there is a standard for alcohol stoves to be tested by. Since it is hard to get two different people to use the same materials: water temp, water amount, altitude, pot size, type of fuel, etc. everyone will have a different outcome.
Here's your big chance bill. You can be the one to set some standards for us. Tell us what the standard should be for Open, Side Jet stove, unpressurised. Stoves just like the Whitebox stove and the Skettie that was mentioned by BPL. We have to have a starting point, let it be here. This is a new thread concerning stove testing. Give us some parameters. In the review on your stove made by tinny he said people that are doing reviews on his and other people stoves are using the wrong fuels and wrong techniques and are getting themselves in trouble and blame it on the stoves rather than their own stupidity. I think you used the term, "somewhat bogus" review. We can prevent alot of this if you and tinny can tell us how to do a review. Bill, if you would please, set some guidlines for us. Thank You.

Edited to add:
Just opened the box and tried out the White Box stove from Bills ebay ad. He sells these on ebay for $9.95 and they come with a nice windscreen. To start --this is the only stove i have ever seen that is built with pride and quality--and the only new design I have ever seen that actually is viable. I have experimented with the aluminum bottles this stove is made from but finally abandoned the process because I found the aluminum too thick and hard to preheat. It is really too bad because this type of bottle,--as you can see make a very nice and rugged stove to say the least. I have to admit I never even thought of making an open top, because i know that they are even slower to light than the pressurized design. I put an ounce in the white box stove and set it ablaze as i punched my stop watch. After two minutes with no blossom i lightly blew into the top and it started to light ,another light puff and it was in full blossom. For the first few minutes it had a rather large flame ring but slowly settled down and got to work. The boil time is good and the stove is very hot. I might have inlarged the jets to get the flame ring down abit but i am not sure that would work out. The thing that bothered me most was the slow blossom that caused me to give up on this project in the beginning. So i chucked the stove up in the lathe and installed a wick--which I thought this smooth sided beauty was begging for all along. There that really speeds things up and makes for a nice little stove that is beautifly made and very rugged--and now fast. If you want to do this to your white box stove you can either buy some wick from my site or you can send the little girl to tinny and he will do the dirty work for you for $5.00 plus shipping---congratulations Bill you have a very nice design ----Tinny---got ideas?

OH-- I DO NOT recommend DENATURED ALCOHOL. I can't speak for every area but in my area they keep using different stuff to denature it, like camel urine and the results can be dramatic. I use HEET in the yellow bottle.
This might help you establish some guidlines.

Last edited by zelph on Sat May 03, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat May 03, 2008 6:08 pm

I did edit the above post to add text.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:21 pm

My first whit stove did not like it so why did i buy a second one before the price went .So tinny made one called the BIOS got one did the same thing as Bill only about 30 sec. longer burn same big flame for big pots.Now a stove is as good as the one using it most people just fire it up 1 time or 2 say thats good for me they should light it up ever day for a week and then it be a good stove get to know them ins and outs of your stove. last night i took out a new white box stove and made it burn a small flame for a small pot.
Here some of me stoves cant seam to be satisfied
Man play with fire man get burnt

billinmt

Post by billinmt » Sat May 03, 2008 7:08 pm

oops56 wrote: Here some of me stoves cant seam to be satisfied
oops56 is obviously addicted to the fine art of stove building... please if I ever get than bad put a gun to my head and pull the trigger... ;)
Here's your big chance bill. You can be the one to set some standards for us.
I think I will pass on the opportunity to get mud slung at me... thanks for the offer....

Bill in MT