Ukulele's

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
realityguy

Re: Ukulele's

Postby realityguy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi!I'm still building ukuleles and restoring instruments up to the size of acoustic vintage guitars and tenor guitars.
Most plastic ukuleles sound like that..a waterproof plastic ukulele..you get what you pay for!
A while back..I bought one of these..just to see how they could even make and sell it for that..thinking I could always part it out and use what I could salvage.(Tuners$6,Equalizer $8-10,strings $8,Gig bag $12,guitar cord $5,strap$5..plus fretboard and parts,saddle/bridge,nut,etc..)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Andoer-23-Compa ... SwnipWVmqR

They are actually a very good playing instrument..the action is nice and low...Very nice tone with a spruce top..nice volume..it's a slightly larger concert model verses a soprano..It has a pretty bulletproof plastic or carbon fiber(fluke/ovation type) back..it includes a pickup,equalizer,9 volt battery setup(no battery included and sound better than most ukuleles plugged into an amp!I use the same pickup setup in my own builds)..and it comes with a gigbag,a guitar cord to hook up to an amplifier,Aquila strings,geared tuners,excellent fretboard and frets,and a soundhole-clip guitar neck strap(which doesn't work unless you grind the tip of its hook a little bit to put in the different type holes..no center round soundhole in these).
$43 or so with free shipping(I bought from a different guy..dodotech..takes about a week in the US)..How do they do it?!It's very easy to resell them locally for what you paid for them.If you want to learn..try and decide you don't ..resell it locally on craiglist for what you paid for it and not lose a penny!I eventually sold mine for a couple bucks more($45) because I added a strap button and strap(the difference being what I paid for the parts).
Any new person shows up at a meet without one..can borrow one from someone there..and they end up ordering one.
From showing mine around at the local groups..probably 15-20 and more people have also bought them(and they are probably showing them around elsewhere also) just to leave in their car,take on camping trips,give to their destructive kids,or play anywhere/any condition weather they don't want to pack their Kamakas and Martins.I used it for a temporary loaner while I work on other people's ukuleles(but they usually end up buying their own "second" also..).
The only two complaints I've seen..One lady complained the ends of the frets hurt her hands(but she is REALLY fussy about her $1000+ ukuleles..and complains about everything..no one else ever mentioned the problem,even people I thought would)..and the other was that when you put the 9 volt battery into the holder on the ukulele's equalizer tray,it won't snap-lock into place...which is a common problem with those pickup combos.You just need to touch up and recess the body area under the closed-latch area..takes 10 seconds) with a dremel and tiny grinding bit..or scrape it with a knife tip so the latch on the tray can extend a tiny farther under the lip of the equalizer base when it is put in place.The tray WILL latch without the battery in it..so test it with a battery before you expect to use it with an amplifier..not after.
There is no way to lose on the deal..they are pretty "somewhat" waterproof..of course only to a certain point having a wood neck and spruce top...but cheap enough for a person to not really care.
A friend and I hiked out on the Ozette Triangle Beach Trail(9 miles)..and stopped to play on top of a 50' seastack with 360 degree views..with Jose Cuervo along for company..slight drizzly wet day that cleared up just before we stopped for lunch at the seastack...after 6 miles.
Google "Strum Ukulele Seattle"(facebook)..go through the pictures in the comments area(a few months back..See May 14th..I'm on the left..Cape Alava behind us..)..the two of us are up there playing in that picture on the coast..Sorry..Photobucket doesn't appear to allow me to post any more pictures..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 pm

How can they do FREE shipping on such a large item :o

Thanks for the heads-up. It's an inexpensive way to try one out and sell it if I'm tone deaf :mrgreen:

I have to go find that sea stack you were on :D

Take a look at this baking soda and super glue for a quick fix

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Strummin......strummin......to the seastacks :D
Attachments
Kerry Banister on left.JPG

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 pm

The seastack..is at Sandy Beach (head)..Take the Ozette Triangle Loop Trail (google)from Lake Ozette..You can go directly about 3 miles on the southern leg of the triangle or do what we did and take the northern leg of 3 miles to the beach which comes out at Cape Alava(comes out on the beach about even with the islands in the background)..and then 3 miles down the beach to the seastack..then back to the parking lot 3 miles on the southern leg..
Okay..My "summer look"..(long hair..it'll probably be gone next month)..see the first pictures after the small ukulele of me holding it..
https://www.facebook.com/STRUMthatuke/

I just restored it because it was a challenge that other luthiers told the owner "it can't be done"...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:45 pm

You've been at it so long there ain't nothin you can't fix. :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:27 pm

When you are building them from the ground up, you become an expert! Good job, Cuz. I am opposite of you on the hair with a short flattop in the summer and long hair and beard in the winter :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “General”