Rain Gear Poll

Backpacking is more than just about gear. Here's a forum to talk about the "philosophy" of lightweight backpacking.
ImageImage

What kind of rain gear do you prefer

1) Poncho/multi purpose shelter,footprint
38%
2) Rain jacket
13%
3) Rain jacket/pants combo
38%
4) Umbrella
No votes
5) Umbrella in conjunction with one of the top three
13%

Total votes: 8

left52side

Re: Rain Gear Poll

Postby left52side » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Ok I voted anyway even though this is an older thread.
I have spent so much money on rain gear in the past it isn't funny.
And I think I can speak for alot of outdoors folks on that one.
I myself have found that I prefer the frogg toggs ul2 suit to be my favorite over every other 100.00 plus dollar jacket I have bought in the past.
I usually just cut the pants off to capri type length below the knee and it has an opening left big enough that I do not have to worry about getting my muddy shoe all over the inside.
In florida I often do not even bring anything because it is so hot that A cool rain shower does not hurt anything and the sun will often dry out clothing in A matter of minutes.
If need be bring just the jacket ans A insulation barrier on cooler nights here.
That is just my .02

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:37 pm

Poncho poncho poncho :mrgreen: I like the freedom :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:25 pm

I don't do a lot of hiking in the rain but do carry a light jacket and packable rainpants..beside wearing REi hiking pants that unzip down to shorts,and a goretex ball cap.I do carry an extra Goretex raintarp/poncho(about 6'x6') I sewed up with some velcro along some of the edges to wear as a poncho,sewed on tie-outs to use as a hammock rainfly,and to just be able to sit on something dry for lunch in wet,wooded areas..Multi-purpose!That goes everywhere with me.In a downpour,it can be a good cover quickly tied out to some trees,or just draped over OUR heads..Rolls up to about 2" in diameter x10" long.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:08 am

RG, you're too clever :D Years of modifications have made you savvy to making things work. :geek:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Zen and the art of lightweight backpacking”