Freezer bag omelets

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
zelph

Re: Freezer bag omelets

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:57 pm

I've never tried to catch a coon in one of my hav-a-harts..but many possums and squirrels...I think my record for "exported" squirrels during pick-peach season was 32 squirrelies in 28 days..didn't seem to even make a dent... :evil: :DB: :taz:

I'd call that an "Infestation"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:13 pm

When you've got the only real woodsy back yard left for miles,fruit trees,and berries... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 am

Ahhh yes, the "Gathering Place" :D

I'll have to scramble some eggs today using the mother's milk Ziploc bags. I have to rig up something to keep the tip of the bag from coming in contact with the hot pot wall or get it to be completely submerged.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:52 pm

I'll have to scramble some eggs today using the mother's milk Ziploc bags. I have to rig up something to keep the tip of the bag from coming in contact with the hot pot wall or get it to be completely submerged.

Like say..two bent paper clips? :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:04 pm

realityguy wrote:

Like say..two bent paper clips? :roll:

That's too easy :lol:

Make sure I get 99% of the air out of the bag :mrgreen:

Cut off excess plastic above the zipp lines ;)

churro

Postby churro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:30 pm

zelph wrote:I'll have to scramble some eggs today using the mother's milk Ziploc bags. I have to rig up something to keep the tip of the bag from coming in contact with the hot pot wall or get it to be completely submerged.

I just tried this using Lanisoh brand breast-milk bags. It worked beautifully, though the bag actually ruptured a little on one side. It didn't seem to make any difference at all. I suspect it happened late in the cooking cycle and the eggs just sealed off the rupture. I think I should have been more careful to remove all the air. I made no effort to keep the plastic off the pot, but probably should have, because the plastic above the zipper rested against the pot, and this part fused shut, so I had to cut the bag open.

I was reassured that even given the 2 problems, the food was unaffected and delicious.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:02 pm

That's great, glad you ventured and gained :D

If all the air is out, maybe the expanding eggs will have room to expand and not burst the bag. :idea:

How many eggs in the bag?

Yah, the hot metal above the waterline will melt the plastic quick.

My uncle would boil a pot of water, crack 2 eggs into a bowl, put the bowl edge gently into the water and let the eggs slide in. Cook them until done and then use a 5-6" diameter ladle with holes to gently scoop the eggs out and a little dab of the kitchen towel to get excess water off and then onto a plate. He had a restaurant in
Chicago. A customer would come in every day and order 2 poached eggs, sausage and rye bread toast with a side bowl of oatmeal.

churro

Postby churro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:36 pm

2 eggs in the bag, along with about a tablespoon each of diced onions and peppers, plus a small handful of leftover hashbrowns and cheese.

Poached eggs are an art form, on I have not yet mastered. I can do it with the help of a specialized pan, but the way your uncle did it is the traditional way. Did he add any vinegar to the water? I'm told that acidity helps hold the whites together.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Yes, he did add vinegar but the water was filled with little white snake thingies after he took the eggs out. I guess that's normal. Maybe the trick to it is not have the water boil, only get it to the snake eyes bubble stage and then slide the eggs in :idea: A rapid boil probably breaks up the whites, whadaya think?

churro

Postby churro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:08 pm

sounds plausible. Maybe some salt, too, to raise the boiling temp and let the eggs cook even without all the motion associated with a boil. I'll consult some of my cookbooks and see what I can find.

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”