dehydrated meals

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
cadyak

dehydrated meals

Postby cadyak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed making up all my meals for the last couple of years for my longer trips. I buy some specific items to dry, but mostly use foods that I have in the fridge or pantry. The cost of premade dehyrated meals has gotten expensive. For a week of dinners I am guessing around 60-70 dollars.
Since I get to take 2 or 3 good long trips a year and I dont need any new equipment, I looked to save money in the food supplies category. My meals pack a lot smaller also. I use one of the smaller ziploc bowls with lid and a homemade blue foam cozy to rehydrate in. It is the perfect size for a large portion.

Here is a list of foods that have turned out the best either by themselves or combined as an ingredient in a meal. :geek:
I make them sized to rehydrate with approx.1-1/4 cups of water (at most)
in no particular order:
apples, strawberries, mixed with raw walnuts-gorp replacement
saffron rice-
brown rice
kashi-
feta cheese
black olives
canned portabella mushrooms
raw carrots-matchstick style
canned corn
raw broccoli
frozen spinach-goes great in everything add a little seasoning while drying
honey ham-awesome by itself, very crispy snack
ground venison-(browned with natures seasoning)
el paso taco stuffers-(with meat). Very good and half the weight/size when dried. take a few tortillas- :D
kashi brand sweet and sour ckicken frozen meal

m1-combine the saffron rice, honey ham, and some natures seasoning :D
m2-combine brown rice,venison, broccoli, feta cheese, spinach, carrots, black olives and Cavenders seasoning :D
m3-combine saffron rice, broccoli, feta cheese, olives, mushrooms, carrots, corn, spinach and natures seasoning :D

some ingredients that didnt work so well: :?
cooked broccoli w/ butter (anything with butter on it for that matter)
baby carrots-too thick
orange slices

I am gearing up for a week long trip in january and just started drying some food last night. :DB:
I have gone away from all baking, simmering, frying but I may go old school and take some cornbread or muffin mix to cook on the firemug. Back when I carried a massive pack I was always the camp cook. I am trying to regain a little bit of that lost fun without carrying to much weight.

Does anyone have any other good food ideas? :geek:

zelph

Re: dehydrated meals

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Gee, you got all the good stuff posted already :D

I do Mountain House dinners divided into 4 meals = 4 Freezer bags. I add freeze dried soup mixes to each bag to make a full meal in each bag. Mountain House has such intense seasoning it is easily seasons an entire meal that has been piecemealed together like I do. Add some freeze dried Re-Fried beans to the MH meals to extend them or add canned kidney beans or canned beef ..............gee this is making me hungry :lol:

Onions, oh boy!!! Dried onions will do everything for a meal as far as flavor. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 pm

I dont know why I never thought of onions. :mrgreen:
Ill bet they would be great. Going back and looking through some of the old threads I have found a bunch of good recipes.
I have a bag a vidalia onions in the cupboard.
The family has asked me not to dry feta cheese when they are around. I wonder what onions will smell like. :shock:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:36 pm

I wonder what onions will smell like.

Wonderfull sweetness :D A couple of years ago I tried to make venison Jerky. I truly tries :D all the tasty ingredients prompted me to cook the strips of meat and consume at my leisure :lol: The photos are here some where. I'll take a quick look.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 am

We dehydrate onions for hiking..along with different types of fruit(not in the same batch of course)..tomatoes and beans seem to come out stringy and chewy.Shrooms work and get down to almost nothing,mostly water.Bananas,pitted fruits(peaches,nectarines,apricots,etc),Asian pears.
We have a local fruit stand that makes up $2-3 larger flat boxes of mixed fruit that need to sell quick..scarf up 10 lbs of mixed fruit at a time.
I have about 4 foodsavers(one for the wife,one at the other house,and a spare or two..at the moment)I find boxes of the FOODSAVER bag material at the thrift stores for roughly a dollar a roll.I have about 18 rolls or more at the moment..usually buy boxes of 5-6 rolls for $5..
We prepackage the ingredients for meals in those..or for baking,several at a time,then write on them what it is and what it takes to reconstitute the meal(water,cooking oil,etc..use powdered milk and eggs in the packages).We try to get them all down to "just add water/oil".Just grab what we need when we go,usually add 2-4oz or so of cooking oil in a closable bottle,if needed.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Ill bet the dried stuff lasts forever in the foodsaver bags. I like that system. Hadnt thought of marking the bags with any instructions. I realized last trip that I was actually making each meal a little to big. I was really full before I finished most of the meals. I am going to work more on snacks too. I have a bad habit of forgetting a day. i.e. a 7 night trip means 8 days of on the trail food/snacks.
thanks

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:18 pm

All VERY interesting stuff. I SO want to get into this. I have a dehydrator. So you have a foodsaver? These can be had at some thrift stores?!?! Interesting.

Cadyak, what trip ya planning?

I too forget to bring extra food... well, once. I will NOT make that mistake again.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Going to be in the Smokies from jan 16-24 starting and ending in the Big Creek area. Instead of just me and my buddy, this time several from the local cycling team are going.
I dont have a food saver but my brother does and he never uses it. I may snag it from him. I hadnt considered drying foods for anything other than certain trips, but putting some foods up for armageddon sounds like a plan too. :D
I have always wanted one for deer meat, fish, and steaks if I can get it in bulk quantities, Nothing worse than freezerburned food.
Last edited by cadyak on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Had a food saver in my hand at the thrift store last saturday for $2.99 but put it back as I already have two. :roll: I also have some seal a meals which are similar to Food Savers but not as high in price and quality.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:30 pm

If you are buying foodsavers at thrift stores..don't bother with the ones made in China!Only buy the older ones that came from Italy.I used to bag up a lot of fresh salmon and trout with the foodsavers because I was also tired of freezer burned fish and getting too much of it to just freeze it.If it's just frozen..not in a foodsaver bag..it's considered cat food when it's pulled out of the freezer..if my picky guys will even eat it.
We use foodsavers for everything for the freezer/dehydrating.I used to pack and ship Hotwheels cars(in rows) in the US and cameras to Japan in them for ebay...I got some "OUTSTANDING!" feedback on ebay..! :lol:
I also pack spices in small amounts for hiking with those..super lightweight and can be closed with a paperclip,opened with a knife easy,packed in rows,,etc.You can just place the bag in your ziplock container,pour in hot water,eat out of the bag..no real clean up..pack empty bags home,wash,cut smaller(take off the open cut edges),and reuse over and over again.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”