"BP-Lite Happy Hour" Stove Kit...Cheers!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

"BP-Lite Happy Hour" Stove Kit...Cheers!

Postby realityguy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:04 pm

We've been discussing a stove made from a cocktail shaker..I finally found the perfect smaller container to make one..Cointreau's smaller version(12 oz capacity is a nice setup that has a spring-clip around the outer cup that has holes in it that line up to make three different cocktails!..but better yet,holds the outer cup on nice!

4 pieces make up the set,the cap that has a capacity for 5 teaspoons(a shot,coffee measurement,cap),the main cup that tops out at 12oz,the outer cup(I may need to drill a ring of holes around the bottom..once i've tested it)That could feasibly be used for a small wood fire also or hold your favorite "Dan" stove(2-7/8" bottom edge diameter,up 1-1/2" it's 2-1/2" diameter),and the larger cap which could be inverted and fitted with a smaller paper coffee filter for making coffee.
Keep in mind that it can still be used for its original purpose.Recipes on the cup are for a sidecar(all aboard!),a cosmopolitan(for the city slickers!),and an original margarita(okay..I'll have one of those!)
The inside is open space for 5-1/4"(space for spork,stove,coffee,booze..whatever) and the 4 piece set is all stainless(except a silicone(?) seal ring on the filter portion)weighs 6-1/2oz.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: "BP-Lite Happy Hour" Stove Kit...Cheers!

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:00 pm

those pieces came together nicely. Try it with wood first :D Free fuel ;) then with a dan stove :|

What did you use for the elongated holes?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:07 pm

The elongated holes were on it..to read the ingredients for each drink..I'll probably use my hole punch and make a larger one.It is pretty small for a 'wood" stove but is perfect for a windscreen for an alcohol one.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 am

A lot of the larger cocktail shakers do come with the small holes that line up for the drink ingredients under each drink listed at the top(for you teetotalers.. ;) ..)
I had another 15-20 minutes of spare time this morning so finished the base.bear in mind that this base is only
3-3/4" high so using wood might be a challenge but the concept is their for the larger sizes of cocktail shakers..
I punched the center hole wider across the elongated ones,then used a dremel with a sanding sleeve bit to shape the hole better..worked fine.I also drilled a ring of holes around the base for air using a longer 2 stage bit so I could clear a drill press chuck and drill them from the inside instead of the outside,lining up with the shank of the bit almost against the inside of the top edge of the cup to keep the holes pretty uniform for height around the perimeter of the base..and it gave me better backing for the drilling directly on the wood block.I then had to file the edges of the holes on the outside to smooth out any protruding fragments.

I think If I was going to burn wood..I'd carry along a piece of wire and make some small wood preloaded "bundles" with some tinder(wetfire,vaseline cotton,birch bark,etc) in the top center of the bundle and fire it up..then drop the cone over the bundle and start cooking that way.It is pretty small...... :roll: Addding wood would be like "one pinecone at a time"..to fill the thing.
As I said,it's more the "concept idea" for using a larger cocktail shaker if you are thinking of burning wood.For me it would be used more as a coffee heater or noodles over an alcohol stove.In a pinch,I would use wood.
The idea is that it does make a nice integrated package including a cap that works as a coffee(milk,or?)measurer or a shot glass,a coffee filter holder,cup,and windscreen,all in durable stainless steel.Mine cost $2!

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 am

In many of my burn test it was easy to top light 2" long twigs vertical stacked with paper. You stove should be fine for wood. I used the salt shaker stove for my last burn tests using the Trekker Kelly Kettle. That's the same height as your burner.

Put some fire to it!!!!! see how it burns wood..........get that thing heated up :DBfire:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Put some fire to it!!!!! see how it burns wood..........get that thing heated up :DBfire:

Someday..got some important things that need to be done today. :roll:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Sure, take your time...............tomorrow for sure!!!! :mrgreen:

I did one burn test today in the small trekker. Test burning is necessary in designing to find out the why's and what for's found out something interesting during todays test. I'll have to compile some photos of my findings and do a separate thread.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”