SuperCat Afterburner

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Blue52

Re: SuperCat Afterburner

Postby Blue52 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

The condition are what prove the stove for sure. It did lite and had a good solid clean burn but I knew the aluminum would probably be to thin once at temp. Simple fix though , Two ways use a crumb catcher which rides on the lip and hangs down inside, weight of the pot and shape of the stove is pressing against the crumb catch not allowing the aluminum to bend in, any further. Or just use tin or steal can instead of the aluminum.
IMG_9379.JPG
IMG_9386.JPG
IMG_9382.JPG
gen 2 tin.jpg
gen2c burner.jpg
gen 3 burner test.jpg
gen3 tin.jpg
comparo.jpg

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:23 pm

The crumb catcher did the job well. :D

What have you gained over the SuperCat, more fuel capacity?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blue52

Postby Blue52 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 pm

The burner on the right is a faster burn to boil. Burn times similar to the original burner behind super cat. The burner on the left has a slow burn time to boil in comparison. All three burners over the super cat have a more consistent burn time in varying conditions, I find. The two in front may hold more fuel have not tested fuel capacity they will hold 30ml . The two new genie burners will hold the weight of 4 cups of water steady and secure. The burner on the right will boil it in 11:30 still need to do more test though. Neither are wind sound :(

With views like these, getting out of the garage or back yard are a little easier:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEN6j9CfJn8

Blue52

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:26 pm

With views like these, getting out of the garage or back yard are a little easier:)

I agree :D My wife and I are talking camping plans for 1st week in april. :DB: :DP: Got to get out and hike!!!!!!! :D

Blue52

Postby Blue52 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Sound good , Around here now, is a beautiful time to hike not to hot not to cold below 6,000 feet.

When I say more consistent. I have notice with the two super cats the boil times and burn times vary not only from windy to calm from hot to cold but more to time of day evening, late knight morning mid morning , mid afternoon....
Its inconsistent testing during each period of day the cold, heat, humidity, and to some degree probably the barometric pressure differences play a role in it. Where as most all my other stoves show a more consistent burn/boil time. Not saying that they don't fluctuate, just not as much as supercat seems to.

ex. relaying on supercat to boil water every time with only 15ml ,25, or even 30ml doesn't happen ever time. Thats just here at sea level. On the other hand 25ml in my other stoves get me a boil regardless time of day. 30ml is a shoe in... when its breezy. And I almost have a stove and burner combo figured out when it gets windy, well breezy anyways with out a windscreen ;)

Blue52

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

and to some degree probably the barometric pressure differences play a role in it.

BP was a major reason for inconsistancy in my testing over the years. Very noticable. Stove makers need to be very aware of this so you don't pull your hair out trying to figure out why one day it works and not the next. Those of you that just browse from afar tell your friends where you heard this fact. ;)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”