Dayhiker Firemug

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Dayhiker Firemug

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:54 pm

cadyak wrote:Yep those work nicely.
With a knockout bit you can get an extra 1/8" in diameter compared to the standard fat step bit. Unfortunately, the step bits are about 40.00 a piece, the knockout bits are near 50.00 and after about 2 or 3 stainless cups they are dull enough to deform the metal when you drill. Stainless is TOUGH. I use a punch to mark the hole and a split tip bit to drill the pilot hole, then the step bit to enlarge.
The split tips bits go real quick too. I have found that the really cobalt fancy bits dont last any longer than the cheaper ones.
I am actually running to Home DEpot sometime today and will probably spend 60-75$ on bits. everything I have now is no good from a single day of stovemaking...
Some of the thinnest ones are the hardest.

I use a solid carbide drill bits for stainless and it hold their edge well. I'm going to look for some stainless mugs and do some holes with the knock outs. this dayhiker firemug is super nice :D

Time for me to go out and burn some wood and fry some bacon. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm still homesick for some trout over a fire video.
Have to share this video even though I am off topic. sry.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice video. Making me hungry..
I use a stick too if I have a fire but I just put the stick in the whole gutted fishes mouth. when the skin bubbles up and separates from the meat its done.

Lately I have been using a 20 year old outback oven over a firemug. After boiling youve got a good 15 minutes of baking coals left. Also one pencil sized twig every 5 minutes or so will yield longer baking/simmering times. This and lighting are the main reasons that I have kept a lower stoking hole.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:24 pm

2 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated High Speed Steel Step Drills

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:40 pm

oh yeah!
thanks Vibe :D :D

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Print the coupon....It's good thru 2/21/11
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:53 pm

already ordered two of them. thanks Again.

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Try looking into Dottie and Rack-a-tiers.....two lines we do really well with for more affordable cutting tools.......

I am a "simple peddler" of electrical supplies..........Greenlee is pricey for sure.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Greenlee - Harbour Freight............one in each hand...............weighing in hands up and down motion.........I choose Greenlee :D

Stainless steel salt shaker punched with.....................? :D

I made bacon over wood today :D
Attachments
1.25 hole knockout.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:26 pm

cadyak, you have the market cornered on the stainless coffee mug stoves and the turned out really impressive. Great job! I have a few Harbor freight stepbits the have worked well so far but I have not really put them to the test of drilling stainless repetetivly. I don't know if there is a sharpener for step bits but I have an electric one for my regular drill bits. It basically has sharpening stones inside that grind the proper angle to the bit. I think of you everytime I see a bunch of those coffee mugs in the thrift store :lol: I am going to have to pick up a few and try my hand at it. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”