a hypothetical question.............................

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
stevebo

a hypothetical question.............................

Postby stevebo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I have a hypothetical question for you guys.............if a person invents a new stove type, (something really origional---different than anything out there), and if that person was interested in possibly offering the new stove on the market to make a few bucks (spending money for the family etc) ----how can an individual put his stove on the market, without having every body and their brother copy and sell the same idea? Ive done some research on patents ---- it doesnt seem like a very practical option for the average guy----(very expensive, and pretty ineffective unless you have the resources to take people to court etc. ) So, my question is, what other options are out there? It seems to me that once a design is posted on the internet, its public domain and pretty much fair game and can be copied by anyone (and that makes me a little hesitant to post new ideas on forums etc) I know this whole issue of ownership of designs and ideas has come up before ---its a subject that has been bothering me for a while, and I just wanted to know what you guys thought about it. (not trying to stir the pot or anything, just looking for some good advice!) :D

Ridgerunner

Re: a hypothetical question.............................

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Stevebo, I am sorry to say that if you design a stove and sell it where ever. It will more than likely end up on the internet. Your best bet is if the design is not easily replicated by the average joe. Regardless, someone will copy it and sell it if it proves to be a good design and seller. I would speculate that your best bet for success would be to have a large amount in stock so you can flood the market and build a reputation that will spread by word of mouth. Five years ago, you did not see many alcohol stoves for sell on ebay and othe forums but today, they are everywhere you turn. Is the market flooded to the point of being saturated with stoves? Maybe; you are seeing more sellers try to gain sells by adding more components such as windscreens, storage containers, cookpots, etc. Some of their profit margins are very low for the work involved and some try to make extra money by adding extra shipping cost. I believe you can still grab a slice of the market if you have something that is very different and unique but as far as keeping someone from trying to sell a knockoff, good luck :( and Best wishes! :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

stevebo

Postby stevebo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:57 pm

. Thanks Ridgerunner--------thats excellent advice! Very helpful! :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 am

Being unique(sells the collectors on buying them early) and the idea of hard to copy without being worthwhile for someone to setup to do so is critical..Tooling,milling,machining parts,molds,hard to make parts(titanium)..anything too much of a hassle to not just go buy or too hard without jigs to make their own..Having to buy a large quantity of "supplies" for making them cuts out a lot of the copiers because of the high initial investment,for instance..the "Ti Goat Titanium Chimney"..Not your everyday person will shell out a small fortune to get that started.Needing special tools(metal lathes,mills,etc) have kept some seller's stoves/parts sales going and "unique".
Penny stoves,popcan stoves,etc..are a dime a dozen.Ebay has everyone selling them for a couple bucks to just get rid of them...not worth the shipping costs.if your average joe can copy it,don't bother trying to sell it on ebay;you'll soon have lots of company for a buck cheaper.
Stoves are a volatile market..will sell like crazy until someone comes in cheaper with the same thing or with a new improved similar design;then get out quick..or produce something new.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm

-how can an individual put his stove on the market, without having every body and their brother copy and sell the same idea?

It's not possible. It will be copied.

My stoves have been copied and youtube videos made on how to make them.

Make a ton of your stoves and sell them on ebay for a price that will make enough money to satisfy yourself. Don't try to get rich on them. That's not going to happen.

If you have a super great idea take it to the big guys, REI Coglans etc. Sell the idea to them.

I sold a stove to someone who then took it to another website and told them that he had made it. He was not aware of the fact that I was registered there also. All kinds of people out there ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

stevebo

Postby stevebo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks guys------I really appreciate the input---now I have a pretty realistic view of the whole thing. (and a pretty good idea how to go about it!) -------------(FYI I have no plans to quit my day job--------its just for fun and a few bucks! ) :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm

(and a pretty good idea how to go about it!) -------------(FYI I have no plans to quit my day job--------its just for fun and a few bucks! ) :D

So your hypothetical question was really all about you.

We wish you well on your new adventure.

Get in line with a few others that launched their stove career from here. Just tinkering is soon to announce his stove sales some where.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 am

I think the REI idea is best. If you have something unique and marketable that is probably the way to go if you don't want to bother with it yourself.

I also think you will be copied unless special equipment is required.

I made a few trout flies of my own over the years. My satisfaction was in catching a fish on a lure that I created. I would not enjoy trying to make money at it though. It all depends on what makes you happy. Making money or having your name given to a design would be cool though.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ridebks

Postby ridebks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 pm

How about trying a local outdoor shop? I went to the only two outdoor shops in my town and did not see one alcohol stove for sale. With that being said, you may want to go to your local shop and try to sell them your product to sell in their store! I am sure they are fully aware of the impact alcohol stoves have made on the industry, but do not deal with any large enough companies that carry them on the local market! Also, alot of the outdoor stores are environmentally conscious and might like the idea of a stove made out of recycled parts and is locally made! I'm not saying they would buy a boat load, but it might be a way to get some good feedback on your product while making some money!

Blue52

Postby Blue52 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:41 pm

stevebo wrote: It seems to me that once a design is posted on the internet, its public domain and pretty much fair game and can be copied by anyone (and that makes me a little hesitant to post new ideas on forums etc) :D

When you have to sign up to participate in a forum "not open for public viewing" one could expect the limits of copy right of intellectual work displayed in the forum. You tube is not a public forum you have to register to view. Note sure if the argument would hold a grain a salt in a court room. More to the power of good will towards fellow mankind!

Aw youtube is an open forum to view sorry...

That is really interesting in how it seems that once out to the public especially the internet that it would be far game to copy someones art, call it their own and sell it for a profit. Aw the failures of mankind. Being as it is now the majority of the worlds population is connected by the net. It only takes one person to search for its origin and a hand full to ruin a reputation. Ever think back and wonder, How did it come about that if not copyrighted or patent protected its far game. Shouldn't the net be for enlightenment instead of deceit and greed. It just goes to show the path of humanity... yin/yang.
I'd rather walk in the light than prosper in the dark!

This is not meant to be confrontational or argumentative just contemplation of philosophy and self expression.

I'll retire back to the wet stump and eat the soggy burnt marshmallows while everyone else drinks the warm brew I packed in...

Best of luck to you on your venture.

Blue52

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”