"Jack" Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tamerlin

Re: "Jack" Stove

Post by Tamerlin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 pm

zelph wrote:We want you to keep on baking :D The more kits you put together the better off we all are.

I second that!

I just bought a muffin recipe book on ebay to hone my skills :o

Good idea... I've been making variations on a recipe that I discovered on the NOLS web site once, and it's worked out fairly well.

You'd think at first that steam baking wouldn't result in yummy muffins, but it turns out that it does... unless, like I did the first time, you put too much baking soda in the mix.

You've got to go through this thread and see what we've baked with thrift store bought stuff. We're cheap!!!!tight wads :o

Especially while unemployed, as I am now... but I'm using my "down" time to launch an ad campaign for White Crane Photography... and see if I can convince some people to buy prints as well as hire me to shoot stuff, since I've put the effort into becoming good at it :)
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Sell murals to banks, insurance companies, etal.

Display in two shows a year, minimum: coffee shops, hospital lobbies, etc. group shows, okay.

Two shows per year, "you R an artist"... then, get grants from Intersection for the Arts, or another non-profit organization.

Meanwhile, perfect muffin recipes, quickbread recipes and baking for backpacking. :P

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:46 pm

JollyRogers, I like
Mix it, fill and light the stove, put it on the stove. Go away until the fuel runs out. Eat.
When all is said an done, it will be a complete set that can easily cook for 2 people using wood/alcohol and be able to boil, bake and heat not only basic provisions but also a few comfort foods for the trail. The fact that the set will have the option to use wood as a fuel source really eliminates the necessity for counting every dram of fuel.

I am a lazy consumer. I want one.

I also happen to think a "jack of all trades" cooking kit for backpacking is hard to believe could be true, that said, I only boil water or bake, poach, and seldom or never fry. Frying means hot cooking oil.

I roast or "brown" with a fire. I make bannock on a "green-stick" held and turned to a fire.

For "dutch oven" cookery, I like the Bank's Fry-Bake. I make scones. I use an ultralight Outback Oven for focaccia bread.

If you get this project to market, at least I will be able to say "I know jack".

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:42 am

Nice!
Yeah, this kit is definitely NOT for frying. Even baking has a very limited application. I don't think the term lazy is one I will use to try and market this. :D
I've got one set aside for you. You'll have it one way or another. :DP: Just waiting on a few more parts and still finishing up the design on the wind screen. Looks like I will have to contract out for the windscreen since the materials are just too rigid for me to make in my garage with my limited equipment. Looks as if I will be going with stainless for this as I am worried someone would leave a fire burning too long in the aluminum ones and melt it.
The finished product will not melt. It might warp a little if someone built a hot enough fire. But based on the design I don't think it will be an issue.

I have already found a place to make these, just need to provide them with a CAD drawing so that the prototype can be made and terms discussed.

Tamerlin

Post by Tamerlin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm

ConnieD wrote:Sell murals to banks, insurance companies, etal.

I just need to find the people now! I'm making a list... been putting off calling people because of the holidays, but it's time to get cranking! I also launched my first ad campaign this morning... first round of e-mail promos, probably amount to nothing, but I'm going to keep it up. :)

I'm also targeting hospitals... Children's, Harborview, Swedish...

Display in two shows a year, minimum: coffee shops, hospital lobbies, etc. group shows, okay.

I have one up now, but it's almost over... I might have one for February, but I'm not sure yet, and I'm going to keep looking for more :)

Two shows per year, "you R an artist"... then, get grants from Intersection for the Arts, or another non-profit organization.

Meanwhile, perfect muffin recipes, quickbread recipes and baking for backpacking. :P

Yep :)

I'm going to donate some images to the Coalition for a Coal Free Washington, and possibly also take an active role in the Sierra Club's public relations arm... :)

We'll see where it goes! In the mean time, I'm getting going on winter hiking and camping so that I can start getting some glacier photographs :)

Tamerlin

Post by Tamerlin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 pm

JollyRogers wrote:Nice!
Yeah, this kit is definitely NOT for frying. Even baking has a very limited application. I don't think the term lazy is one I will use to try and market this. :D

I've been told that a good way to cook freshly-caught fish is to gut it, decapitate it, and then put your choice of spices (salt & pepper, usually) inside, wrap it in a pot or foil (with the skin still on), and plop that on a fire or stove for a bit. :)

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Works really well. Just make sure you have heavy duty aluminum foil. I remember taking a bottle of squeeze butter on a trip into the Sequoya National Forest catching golden trout. We found wild green onions and chopped those up and added butter.
Bacon and potatoes also cook well this way.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:10 am

I have three favorite windscreens, so far:

zelph's crinkle windscreen
the "caldera clone"
and that folding windscreen and case at eBay.