Knots...

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
JBRanger

Re: Knots...

Postby JBRanger » Thu May 20, 2010 11:32 am

Set up the hammock last night. Untied the bowlines. Used Adjustable grip hitches for the knots. They held VERY well. I even had my daughter in the hammock with me (both of us together total about 200lbs). The knots never slipped. They were easy as pie to tie (read: fast) and even easier to untie. The bowlines that I had left in the line were jammed up pretty good and took some prying to get them loose. I'm gonna say that indeed the whoopie slings are the way to go, but for now, with the standard spectra line, this is the way to go.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu May 20, 2010 12:50 pm

At that thread, they even show you how to make your own WhoOpie Slings. I paid, because I like to reward the innovator.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Yea, I fully plan on buying them.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 am

Well, still haven't bought the whoopie slings but I have found a knot setup that I like, holds extremely well, and is easy to untie and adjust. It's the adjustable grip hitch.
http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_Hitches.htm

Instead of 3 passes around the rope, I do a fourth just for good measure. Is it as cool as the whoopie sling? Heck no. But for those cheap skates of us that just want to use what we've got, it works great. I had myself and my daughter in the hammock for long periods of time, shifting around (i.e. not being perfectly still), trying to get it to slip. It does not. Atleast not from my testing.

Currently I've got about half the rope taken up and tied on both ends with this setup along with carabiners on the tree straps for fast setups. If I need to expand the size I can easily adjust it. It works great. Give it a shot and see what you think.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 27, 2010 11:19 am

Looks like a good knots page.I use treehuggers and made my own second set..and will probably make a third because I found more strapping..but it would be nice to use a short leash from the hammocks with a quick adjust for tension.Thanks for the page link...
I'd like to equip myself with 3-4 sets of hammocks in case others want to try them on the trails or leave a couple sets at each house.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I'd like to equip myself with 3-4 sets of hammocks in case others want to try them on the trails or leave a couple sets at each house.

A gear junkie if there ever was one!!!!!............and a thrifty one to boot :D

I wanna be your neighbor :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 pm

JBRanger, Instead of 3 passes around the rope, I do a fourth just for good measure. Is it as cool as the whoopie sling? Heck no. But for those cheap skates of us that just want to use what we've got, it works great. I had myself and my daughter in the hammock for long periods of time, shifting around (i.e. not being perfectly still), trying to get it to slip. It does not. Atleast not from my testing.

There is "cool factor".

Speaking objectively, if you can do knots that do not slip, a single line of Amsteel or Dyneema from hammock to tree makes more dollars and 'cents'. (pun intended)

I also think the "travel hammock" is a very smart choice, unless you need the footbox in the Warbonnet to achieve a more flattened-out position for sleeping achieved by many by sleeping on the diagonal, because the "travel hammock" can also be a small tarp, or the tarp can be a gathered end "travel hammock". Two tarps, dual use for one tarp.

I have seen a clever adaption of a channel end (hem in both ends) travel hammock made into a bridge hammock, but I am not that clever.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 27, 2010 8:51 pm

No thanks..I already have all the stoves I need... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 pm

realityguy wrote:

No thanks..I already have all the stoves I need... :lol:

You have all the sewing machines, tents, coffee makers, bikes,etc. that you'll ever need BUT you keep picking them up :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 27, 2010 9:22 pm

:mrgreen:

You can be my neighbor..if you have storage space! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually...I get rid of more than you could imagine..locally... ;)

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”