Clean burning Iso 91/99 stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ridgerunner

Re: Clean burning Iso 91/99 stove

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Jon, after your stove is done burning and your pot has no soot, is the screen bowl covered with soot?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:00 pm

In wood stoves they sometimes add a catalytic converter to help burn the secondary gases and reduce the soot before releasing them up a chimney.I would assume a red hot screen might do pretty much the same thing with a cleaner burn around the pot if the screen was placed near the very top of the burner in those hotter gases.However..the screen may need a lot of constant cleaning to keep it working right and as the sstove warms and cools down I would assume it would load up a lot more soot than burning it off.
In wood stove use..they usually use a ceramic disc about 2" thick full of holes that heats up and burns everything as it passes through it..too heavy for alcohol stoves...I would think something more like the "jetboil" aluminum or stainless thicker 1/4-1/2" screen is why they work better than most.
Hey..if it keeps the pot clean..I'm all for it!That's the main reason I don't use Iso or wood for that matter..too much of a mess when other fuel sources are available and burn cleaner.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 pm

That's totally interesting. Seems like just the right amount of oxygen air mix is taking place. The screen seems to be getting the right amount of heat to vaporize the fuel. Go out and buy a lottery ticket...quick :lol: you lucked out and stumbled onto one of seven wonders of the stovie world :D

Stay with that and make it work conveniently. The flame looks like it can easily be blown out. The flame looked like it would lift off easily also. All that aside, you've got something to keep you busy for a while :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Knotty

Post by Knotty » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 am

Very interesting. My guess is that the screen and pot both make the burn more controlled, slowing it down and giving air a chance to mix in.

I don't believe there is any catalytic action going on since the screen isn't made of anything that's a catalyst (a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected). The catalyst in wood burning stoves allows the exhaust gases to burn at a temperature lower than they'd normally require so it reignites the flame providing a secondary burn.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:10 pm

The Ring of Fire Stove burns iso. It's a wick stove with very little wick exposure and it hugs the heineken pot very closely. I'd like to know why it works :D I think the cut down version of the Super Stove works with iso. :?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Now you may need to develop an adjuistable inner ring so that the user can optimize the stove to pot gap for different fuels.
That could be achieved by cutting steps on opposite sides of the pot support and having a notch or rivit sticking out on opposite sides of the inner wall of the stove. You then just turn the support ring to raise or lower it on each step. Of course, the stove becomes a two piece stove unless the steps are channeled and not cut all the way to the bottom of the support. ;) and getting a rivet on the inner wall may be tricky but it might be workable. The stove just went up in cost with the additional labor! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:53 pm

i haven't burned Iso 91 or 99. can't get it in Canada; just like DA. :(
i also haven't looked for the BTU potential of Iso, but i have for Methyl and Ethyl alcohols.
here's a chart:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/combu ... d_411.html

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:43 pm

I don't know where to purchase ISO 91 or 99. Drug store?

I think the shape of the tea ball screen half, the matching diameter of the stove and the cooking pot are providing the blue flame. A flat screen will not do it.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:27 am

.."no soot" sounds real good. 2 cup boil on 13 ml sounds real good.

Maybe you will post pictures?

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:57 am

I have a 3rd generation Iso stove that I hope to finish by the end of the month, It is a pretty simple steel can that has been shaped into a cone. Right now, I have been getting 2 cup boilds on 13 ml.
In the refiner's fire :D That's great news!!! It pays to Tinker ;)