Mad Cow stove!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Mad Cow stove!

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:40 am

realityguy wrote:Top rests on the bottom...the center cut is made at the height the pot stand needs to set above the bottom can lip subtracted from the overall and divided by two.In other words..if I want a 1" higher potstand and the overall can is 3-1/2" high..3-1/2"-1"(pot above flame point)=2-1/2"divided by 2=1-1/4"..therefore the cut point is 1-1/4" from the bottom of the stove.If a person wants a wider or thicker wick,they can shave some from the bottom of the top portion(and an equal amount from the top of the bottom portion if necessary) which makes the space wider between the top and bottom portions because it's all tapered the same,large at the bottom,smaller at the top.

Huuh?? :roll

:lol: :lol: :lol: Huuuuuh????????

My salmon can can't be used without contaminating the contents with metal tidbits :) The bottom of the can is the end that needs to be cut to open it. bummer!!!!!

Some time ago I thought of using the salmon can as a pot. It has tapered wall and the lip would be durable if the can was opened with a "Safety" can opener. Funny how we look at the containers food comes in :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:27 pm

I guess that could be a problem.. :lol: No lip around the top end? :o Weird!On the MC,I used a regular can opener on the smaller end,scooped out the goodies.THEN cut it in half.It comes with a key attached which would cut the larger end off up about a 1/2"..make a good coffee cooker or small pot(other than coatings)..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Found your salmon can,Dan..Just used a knife puncturing the smaller end around the closest indent to the outside perimeter and opened it that way..didn't appear to contaminate the goods inside;just as one of the p38 canopeners would work,but I did scoop out the broth and a little of the product from the top and chucked it.
As far as the product inside..Sorry Bumblebee..no kudos from me!it's got the backbones and everything thrown in the pot and cooked,then shoved into the can!I expected at least the salmon be filleted then cooked. :o ..I'm saving it for the cats(she likes it!) and will be picking out the bigger bones for them..I'm glad I didn't go the $5 for the sockeye stuff in the same can!You've lost a buyer other than the one can.
Anyway..once you tear the label off the can is pretty interesting in that there is a nice cutline/ridge about 3/8" down from the wide end which would make a nice point for the bottom of the lid..if you want a 2nd can for a pot.
Where I cut on the top,I made small cuts out to just under the rolled edge and folded the sharp edges of the remaining pieces inward
I'll be cutting it 1-7/8" from the bottom..making the center the potstand about 5/8" higher.
Due to the size of the can,I expect this to be a real cooker,maybe for larger pots and more water volume.
Dan..did you ever start yours?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Due to the size of the can,I expect this to be a real cooker,maybe for larger pots and more water volume.
Dan..did you ever start yours?
No, I got sidetracked with the 2 can stove that turned out to be too much of a fuel eater, I think I made a post to that affect. It would be good for group cooking, same with the salmon can when it's made. I can't resist a try at making a stove :mrgreen:

I'm working on a unique stove and should have some info on it next week. Did I ever mention that I get sidetracted???? :DB: :DP: :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Don't worry about that stove..fuel eater! :evil: I used 3/4 of an ounce..lasted 6 minutes but got the water up to 195 or so..I tried a windscreen and dropped down to an overall burn of under 5minutes(same fuel amount)..same temperature..room and water about 53 degrees to start..
If I wanted to put in about 1-1/2oz..it'll probably heat a large pot of water quickly.The diameter is just too big for efficency.Not a bad looking stove and weighs around 2oz.Just a knife(for cutting the can) and a pair of scissors(for cutting the fiberglass cloth)are needed for tools,rolled down the edges inside of the potstand with a piece of copper pipe.The bottom of the upper can half;I had to slice up a 1/4" each 1/2" to get it inside the lower can..just enough room for a folded over piece of fiberglass cloth about 4" wide(folded down to 2")Can cut was 1-7/8" up from the bottom..blooms in about 5 seconds as shown in the video..so would be a quick cooker!..probably about 6-7 minute boil with 1oz or more...
The pot was 4-1/2" wide...
About the photo..not dents on the top end..just smoke swirl marks left in the finish after the burn...Maybe burning salmon oil..I use "tinny fuel" for the light show it produces.... :lol:
***Appears you'll need to click on the center picture at the left to see the video..don't know if this is a new thing at photobucket..they changed their format yesterday! :evil: ..The video after this one(at photobucket) is the last third of the burn..

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:47 pm

:DBfire: OhhhYes, that worked out nice, looks good(military mortar casing)looks brassy :mrgreen:

Learning from yours ;) (thank you) I'll make mine 1.5 inces high on the bottom can and 2" high on the top can. I'll use the p38 method as you instructed ;) thanks

The flame and bloom looks perfect on yours. Great stove, great job....thanks much for the video and instructions. Your cats thank you also :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah..I saw the mortar casing idea also..almost a nice olive drab..The other cat was wolfing some down also so it won't go to waste.I was going to make some salmon-salad(like tuna) sandwiches until I saw all the bones.. :evil:
If you make a pot out of a second one..they have to nest PERFECT! :lol:
I forgot..I did cut the can in "two" with a fence on a router table...That wasn't the best idea but it worked...A person could get a start and just use some wiss snips..take out a 1/2" of the middle or so.The can is pretty tight when fitted together,not a whole lot of space there.Taking out a 1/2" wouldn't make the space much wider..
I might try stuffing the insulation down a little more to get a closer burn.I think more up above the rim,the stronger the burn right?(you're the pro..).If I left 1/4" up it would probably burn stronger yet.The fiberglass does move around so I can play with "exposure" there.
One more thing..I editted the upper post and added a little comment you might not have caught..I did have a little oily residue to wipe out of the bottom from the "light show". :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 pm

And another note...I'm thinking of tucking the fiberglass down inside,then roll the edge over towards(and almost tight to) the potstand to leave a lot smaller gap and lock the inner can in place.I think that may improve the efficiency also.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 pm

And one more note!..tucked the fiberglass down about 1/8"(below the lip,couldn't get it bent inward)..used 1oz of fuel and had a nice rolling boil when I checked the pot at 5:10... :o ..out at 8 minutes..Oh well.. :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 pm

As you know, we look for a boil using 1/2 ounce of fuel on the bench :D maybe 17ml if we push it. The size of the base is probably going to keep this one above 17ml. :(