Windscreen Manufacturing Know How and How To's

Come check out a compilation of Zelph's stove designs.
zelph

Windscreen Manufacturing Know How and How To's

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:34 pm

I've been doing some testing on how windscreens should be made.

This video will show how the amount and size of holes placed at the bottom of a windscreen effect the flame pattern of a burner/stove. The video may take a while for youtube to finish processing it:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Windscreen Manufacturing Know How and How To's

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Check your PM.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Nice experiment, Zelph. Instead of using 4 extra paper clips, just use a couple sticks. ;) My other thought is that once you put your cookpot on the burner, there is less space for air to come in from the top plus the fact that the heat will be travelling up the sides of the pot thus drawing in air from the bottom vent holes :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Zelph ..the mighty experimenter! :o ..and now a short break for a word from our sponser... :mrgreen:
I think Cuz has got you there,Z.. ;)
It might be pretty hard to duplicate all the conditions right for a true burn in the field and what the windscreen really does with a bit of wind blowing,and a pot on top.
However...How about a windscreen with a piece of glass in the front for viewing..Got one..or can you make one? ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:35 pm

I've just shown the basics in the video to get the ball rolling in the stove world. Use twigs large holes etc, just make sure there is enough air coming in from the bottom of the windscreen so it doesn't come in over the top edge of it. That causes unwanted turbulance that makes the flame go way off center of the pot and lick up the side of the pot way up and over it's rim. There are tons of variables!!! Everyone making a stove and windscreen needs to keep this information in mind when designing.

Inquiring minds want to know why things happen as they do. I wanted to know why my stove got 2 cups to boil with 1/2 oz fuel when I didn't use a windscreen and why it could not when I did use one.

NOW I KNOW!!!!!!

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Nice test Zelph. Shows how field performance may be affected by more than just the stove itself.

If you continue bench testing this, you could try using a cake pan filled with sand to test the trench air feed method. Dig trench vents under the windscreen for a fresh air supply. See if the results are as good as with the clips.

Thanks.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:44 pm

That's a good idea, DaddyM...that will be interesting to see.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 pm

DaddyMnM wrote:Nice test Zelph. Shows how field performance may be affected by more than just the stove itself.

If you continue bench testing this, you could try using a cake pan filled with sand to test the trench air feed method. Dig trench vents under the windscreen for a fresh air supply. See if the results are as good as with the clips.

Thanks.
Thanks, native americans used the trench method in their wigwams........I want a wigwam/teepee with my campfire in the middle, trench fed fresh air :)

Here is a photo of a glass windscreen I used to test the ION stove. A narrow aluminum strip was fastned to it's base. I was able to see what was going on while testing. I'll see if I can find the globe as I clean and organize my garage. I'll make some cool videos with it.

Everyone should keep in mind what they see in todays video when they design their own stoves and windscreen.

Once a stove is tested on the bench and meets the "standard" requirements that's a good starting point..... We all know field conditions go the entire gammut............We all know that we have to do whatever is necessary to consrve the energy output of the fuel used in our stoves. The energy output is fairly constant for said fuel. You light it and it gives off it's energy, now we need to conserve it.

The globe is in this photo along with the stove and transformer to control a fans speed to simulate different breeze rates.

Knotty

Post by Knotty » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:14 pm

The Trangia 25 and 27 systems use a two step approach to the windscreen. The stove sits in a large hole surrounded by many smaller air holes in the "top" of an inverted bowl or dome. The dome also has a bunch of air holes on one side. The air enters the side of the dome and then flows up and thru the holes on top that surround the stove. Trangia actually instructs the user to face the holes on the side into the wind, unless it is very windy. This system forces the air to be moving upward when it reaches the stove and flame. It also allows for a lot of air holes for proper oxygen supply to the flame w/o the flame getting blown around by the wind.

On top of the lower dome sits a second bowl with the bottom cut out. This second bowl has flip in tabs that support the pots and kettles above the flame and carry the heat and exhaust gases up the sides of the pot for more efficient energy transfer.

The downside to all this is weight and bulk.

All this to basically say that Trangia has a way of getting enough air to the flame yet still protect it from wind.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Bumped for future reference when using the Trangia 27 kit.