Pack Recommendations

We gotta carry the stuff, so why not carry it lite! Discuss your pack and bag creations or modifications.
heckdog

Pack Recommendations

Postby heckdog » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:02 pm

So I just got done with a big trip in the Grand Canyon.......now I am inspired to lighten my load. I am interested in a pack that is big enough for max 3-4 day trip (the longest I can reasonably be away from the family). I looked at some of the ultralight stuff at gossamergear.com and at the GoLite stuff, and frankly it just seems cheaply made. So what are your recommendations for size? What would you all see as a resonable weight for a semi-durable light pack? Any specific recommendations?

oops56

Re: Pack Recommendations

Postby oops56 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:32 pm

heckdog wrote:So I just got done with a big trip in the Grand Canyon.......now I am inspired to lighten my load. I am interested in a pack that is big enough for max 3-4 day trip (the longest I can reasonably be away from the family). I looked at some of the ultralight stuff at gossamergear.com and at the GoLite stuff, and frankly it just seems cheaply made. So what are your recommendations for size? What would you all see as a resonable weight for a semi-durable light pack? Any specific recommendations?

Pillow case some clothes line rope just kidding get a big school book bag.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Pillow case some clothes line rope just kidding get a big school book bag.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oops, you should consider doing stand up comedy----what a great sense of humor!!! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Mags

Postby Mags » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:03 pm

heckdog wrote:So I just got done with a big trip in the Grand Canyon.......now I am inspired to lighten my load. I am interested in a pack that is big enough for max 3-4 day trip (the longest I can reasonably be away from the family). I looked at some of the ultralight stuff at gossamergear.com and at the GoLite stuff, and frankly it just seems cheaply made. So what are your recommendations for size? What would you all see as a resonable weight for a semi-durable light pack? Any specific recommendations?

The main question to ask if how much does your gear way sans food and water?

If you are looking for a more traditional pack (support that is still light, check out the ULA packs:
http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm

I chose the Circuit because I personally feel that ~3500 CI is great for the average weekend backpacker (and more than adequate as you backpack more).

At only 2 lbs, it is pretty light and is full featured. It is one of the few lightweight packs with a traditional suspension system.

GoLite also makes similar "happy medium" packs, but they are little more expensive and weigh more.
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:36 pm

A pack that I have been considering and might be worth looking into is the REI Cruise UL60. There is also a ul45 which might get you by on 2-4 day trips. Check out the REI web site or do a search for rei ul 60 reviews. It gets a pretty good rating from most people.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:04 am

Haven't really considered the weight of my pack but I use a medium size ALICE pack with no frame and the radio pouch cut out. Never really thought to weigh the pack as the place where I need to lose the weight aint anywhere near the pack. Seems to work for my 3-4 day weekend hikes. It has about 3000 ci of space if you count the 3 outside pockets. ci is just a rough estimate I don't actually know. The best modification I ever did to the pack is removing the radio pocket inside the pack. Works really well for me and it's pretty rugged I haven't popped a seem or a buckle yet. And there is plenty of places on the outside to clip or tie on other stuff. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Return to “Packs-n-Bags”