Making a Sleeping Bag/Sleeping Quilt

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: Making a Sleeping Bag/Sleeping Quilt

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 pm

ConnieD wrote:I used a pencil soldering iron from Radio Shack to cut the frayed edge of nylon ripstop.

I would think the lowest temperature and work fast along a steel edge would give best results.

I suspect I'll have to try the soldering iron for silnylon once I begin my project.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am

I've just recently started into sewing so bear with me, but it would seem that a simple set of scissors will get the edge straight and then you can just do a rolled hem to hide the unfinished edge? Atleast that's what I did with mine and it worked out great.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Rolled hem is great!

Did you use a special sewing foot?

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:10 am

Negative. Did it by hand. All on my 11' DL hammock (both bodies of material and ends) as well as on my down underquilt. It's not THAT hard. I used metal "squeeze clips" like you'd use on stacks of paper or potato chip bags to hold it together to get it started. From there I found it easier to roll as I went. I'll use a flat fell seam and rolled hem on the tarp I make.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 pm

There is a knack to it.

I have hand-stitched a rolled edge silk scarf once.

mikepetersen

Postby mikepetersen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 am

JBRanger wrote:I've just recently started into sewing so bear with me, but it would seem that a simple set of scissors will get the edge straight and then you can just do a rolled hem to hide the unfinished edge? Atleast that's what I did with mine and it worked out great.

Yes i am agree with you a scissor is the best option to get the edge of the hem straight and rolled up the hem from the end point works great. There is no need to do anything just cut and roll. That's it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 pm

mikepetersen wrote:
JBRanger wrote:I've just recently started into sewing so bear with me, but it would seem that a simple set of scissors will get the edge straight and then you can just do a rolled hem to hide the unfinished edge? Atleast that's what I did with mine and it worked out great.

Yes i am agree with you a scissor is the best option to get the edge of the hem straight and rolled up the hem from the end point works great. There is no need to do anything just cut and roll. That's it.

Hmmm, sounds easy......just cut and roll. Wish you had a video of that ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”