News is late on this hammock idea

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
sudden

News is late on this hammock idea

Postby sudden » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 pm

http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/03/19/sl ... g-hammock/

two-piece outdoor gear composed of a hammock you can hang between trees and a unique sleeping bag that you can wrap around your body and the hammock, making you look like an enormous cocoon
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Re: News is late on this hammock idea

Postby ConnieD » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 pm

I did this, in the 1970's.

I had a Choinard Pea Pod (big wall hammock) and a Sierra Designs 300 Perfect model down sleeping bag.

I had Sierra Designs Repair, Berkeley, CA put a big "bound buttonhole" in the foot of the sleeping bag. Maybe it was The North Face Repair, Berkeley, CA? Whatever, the Repair place would do custom work. They did.

I used the sleeping bag with the bottem facing up and the top facing down so the opening for the face and shoulders went around the top of the Choinard Pea Pod. I put my down jacket under my head and shoulders, inside the hammock so I was warm.

This design looks really good, although I would want a more compressible down sleeping bag done this way.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Great idea. Looks like it works perrrrfect. I envy those of you that can sleep on your back all night long.

I will make a hammock that will work for me ;) :geek:

I used the sleeping bag with the bottem facing up and the top facing down so the opening for the face and shoulders went around the top of the Choinard Pea Pod.

Connie, where is that bag today?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 am

It is at Shasta, CA last I heard.

I lent it to a lady where I lived.

She was going up to Shasta. She returned. I asked for the sleeping bag. She said, I gave it to a guy. I said, Huh? It is my sleeping bag. She shrugged it off, like it was inconsequential. I paid $300 for that sleeping bag, without the extra cost of modification. It was a big deal. It was a top-of-the-line sleeping bag. It kept me toasty warm on 10,000' mountains.

It was years ago. It would cost much more at today's prices.

Now, I look at sleeping bags/sleeping quilts that cost so much more I think I would have to make one.

I don't know that I have skills like Stormcrow's. Hammock Gear makes great sleeping quilts.

I think about the fabric, so nice. Maybe TiGoat SevenD? Maybe Thru Hiker Momentum 50 and 900-fill down?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:41 pm

She said, I gave it to a guy. I said, Huh? It is my sleeping bag. She shrugged it off, like it was inconsequential. I paid $300 for that sleeping bag, without the extra cost of modification

Yikes!!!!! :o Makes me wonder, that's all I can say :roll:

Silk lined bag, whoooo!!!! my next item on a wish list. ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”