Oware AsymTarp 1

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
ConnieD

Re: Oware AsymTarp 1

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

On a really long tarp, people pitch the sides as doors.

Some have doors. Other people have a "beak".

I have seen people tie their rain jacket or rain poncho over the top of one hiking pole at one end instead.

I like that olive green color.

That catenary-cut tarp gives a taut pitch. Is cuben "noisy" in a breeze or in windy conditions?

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Thats a big negatory on the noise question. Cuben is very quiet. It might look crinkly but its really not.
Are you familiar with the spinnshelter? I got a used one for cheap last year and I really love the design. It is similar in shape to the SL-1 except that poles do not go inside the tarp. It has a velcro closing beak on front and a velcro door on the back end. This enables you to close it up in gnarly or cold weather, but they can be rolled up and stowed out of the way in nice weather. I am trying to install these same type of closures on my bomber tarp.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 pm

I got the AsymTarp 1 so I can roll-in one side. I will find out how that works out.

It isn't just the pole. I don't like to wiggle in the ends, and, I feel so confined in an A-Frame.

The trekking poles on the outside look like an "improved" design. You could move it over a bit, until you get inside.

The doors: are you going to glue, tape, or sew ?

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:27 am

The Kifaru paratarp shows viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4539&hilit= has an added door vestibule with a stove jack and stove pipe for a small wood stove.

I mention it, because the photo may be interesting as how that door is attached.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:15 pm

here is a tip put your tent 2 feet or so back side from a small tree stake out tent bend tree over the middle tie the front then the back to tree it hold it up no poles
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 am

oops56 wrote:here is a tip put your tent 2 feet or so back side from a small tree stake out tent bend tree over the middle tie the front then the back to tree it hold it up no poles

I tried that...............they kept breaking :D Made me feel guilty :oops:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:45 am

zelph wrote:
oops56 wrote:here is a tip put your tent 2 feet or so back side from a small tree stake out tent bend tree over the middle tie the front then the back to tree it hold it up no poles

I tried that...............they kept breaking :D Made me feel guilty :oops:

:lol: :lol: a twig well not work get a 6 in tree :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:56 pm

6" tree :P

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm

How about The Stump for a wood stove and to go coffee mug, as well?

I decided on aluminized nylon for the reflective surface, tied in place. I can use the same reflective cloth panel on the inside tie-outs of my Shangri La 3. I am hoping the aluminized nylon will act as a windbreak/dew cloth/reflective surface.

Okay, here is another aspect of this:

I have had this waistbelt pack for a roll-top bag insert for kayaking.

The Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra cook kit, I put together, fits in the pocket. The Oware AsymTarp 1 and Ti-Goat Bug Net Bivy and NeoAir XS and Gossamer Gear PolyCro ground sheet are shown inside the Seat To Summit Laundry Bag inserted in this waistbelt pack.

Here it is packed "fluffy". The fact is, the Oware AsymTarp 1, Ti-Goat Bug Net Bivy, NeoAir XS stuff sacks, provided, and the Gossamer Gear PolyCro ground sheet pack so small, it would take a "fluffy" sleeping quilt to decently fill out the Sea To Summit Laundry Bag for the photo.

I haven't decided on the Sea To Summit Laundry Bag. I think the bag could be 2-4 inches taller and still be a waistbelt pack.

I decided to show "the goal". I am assembling a "10 Essentials" UL waistbelt packed outfit for walking away from the car to explore a scenic roadside landscape, with the Oware AsymTarp 1 is the shelter, if caught out in inclement weather.

Other ideas would work, as well. I am showing my idea development, here.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Nice.....I count 6 of the 10 essentials Am I right?

What's next?

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”