Oware AsymTarp 1

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
realityguy

Re: Oware AsymTarp 1

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

I am thinking 70d Metallic Ripstop treated with SilNylon, in a "hybrid" tarp wouldn't add much weight.

Did you find "weight per yard" at the website? I didn't see any..wonder if they have those all on one page or something.I'd figure it would be at least double the weight30d verses 70d).or 2.2+oz per yard.If the intial 30d is 9oz..wouldn't you be adding 18 equalling 27+oz for the 2 tarps together?..or 1lb 11oz..if i understand what you are doing.
The metallic ripstop isn't waterproof?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Seattle Fabrics has 70d ripstop nylon, coated or SilNylon coated (not PU coating) at 1.9 oz.
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html

BearPaw Wilderness Designs has 70d SilNylon ripstop nylon at 2.3 oz.
http://www.bearpawwd.com/fabrics_misc/fabrics_misc.html
The weight per square yard averages about 2.3 oz (1.9 oz ripstop plus about .4 oz coating). Since it is coated on both sides and between the fibers, either side can be exposed to the weather.

The SilNylon ripstop nylon, I am used to seeing, is coated only on one side.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm

I got it between two nails, to seal the seams.

It is not what I thought: both sides of the ridgeline are equal.

In other words, each side of the ridgeline is a "mirror-image" of the other side: both sides of the AsymTarp 1 ridgeline are 8'10" length x 2'10" width at one end and 4' width at the other end.

It should be sufficient to have only one side of the ridgeline Metallized Nylon rip stop treated on one side as SilNylon.
Last edited by ConnieD on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:20 pm

The Metalized Nylon ripstop is not SilNylon treated.

It is possible, likely, the Metallized Nylon is water-repellant ?

Seattle Fabric has samples.

I could find out.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 pm

http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc;jse ... egoryId=10

Silicone Double Coated 70 Denier Nylon
2.4 oz per square yard (coating weight .5 oz per square yard)

Maybe my Oware AsymTarp 1 30d SilNylon ripstop nylon is double-coated ?

It "feels" double-coated.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Realityguy, two tarps together

I am considering making a "hybrid" tarp, or, having one made. Two fabrics, one tarp.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 pm

That's what I thought you were going to do..keep in mind the available widths and order/work accordingly.I think the mtalized one was 59" wide or one of them was..which would make sense with 2-10"..
As far as items being waterproof and that..I'd email them ask about specifics that aren't really explained(weight,coatings both sides,etc)..including the tarp you bought.I was looking at the reflective one that was $12.95 per yard..verses the $19.95 metallic laminated one(weight?)at SF and wondering which one you were looking at there..I think one didn't say it was waterpoof(the reflective) and one didn't list the weight(the metallic or waterproofing)..They seemed vague about those features and might not even know..probably have to contact their suppliers or actually weigh them.
I would think if you are laminating two together your weight factors add up quickly..at say probably 4-5oz per yard(where they are doubled).Of course..is that the weight at the material width or sq yd?..something you'll also have to verify.I think it is sq yd..
I would think the metallic laminated ripstop..might have the best weight per yard if used by itself..but if you already have the oware one..you'll have to laminate the two together somehow.Are you going to sew the edges and leave the centers free between the two?Any inside cross seams would need sealing..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:07 pm

No "doubling" of fabric".

The "hybrid" tarp, I am considering, "replaces" the back panel with a Metallized Nylon back panel.

I may have to treat one side, myself, with SilNylon. I have to find out.

The "reflective" nylon is a product for lighting up, exposed to a flashlight, for night use.

I have a supplier link. I will get on it.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 pm

If the Metallized Nylon is reasonably water-repellant, I would consider not treating one side with SilNylon.

The back panel has, after all, the steepest pitch, and so, more run off.

Either I will use this one as a pattern, or, seam-rip and re-stitch, or ask David Olsen if he will make one for me.

I could send the Metallized Nylon rip stop fabric necessary, to him, for "custom" work.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:17 pm

I think the weight per yard is a "convention" based on sailcloth: a linear yard, regardless of width.

No, It is 28.5 inches wide by 36 inches long. To say a piece of cloth is 6.5 ounce means a piece measuring 28.5" by 36" would weigh 6.5 ounces.

That is, if the weight is a sailmaker's yard.

There are, already, Mylar film laminates with sailcloth, however, I understand spinnaker cloth crinkles and flaps loudly, when used for a backpacking tarp. I know an actual Spinnaker isn't loud, when the Spinnaker sail is set properly in the wind. That is my experience, from sailing.
Last edited by ConnieD on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”