On sale

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
ConnieD

Re: On sale

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm

cadyak, for years ...

I have read UV attacks this tent material, and so, it is not to be left up when not is use.

Is that true for the older tent material, as well? Is it SilLite?

I would like to see your SL5 photo, if you can find it when you get home.

Most people that have a tent stove like the SL5 because it is a good size for two or three with gear. Is it two or three?

I hike solo, that is why I inquired so much in the "small wood stoves for hunter's tents" thread.

Once I got on to a formula for firebox and stovepipe diameter and length, I felt I could do this.
Last edited by ConnieD on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 pm

UV attacks just about any fabric but we are talking over a length of time. I wouldnt worry about a day or two every once in a while. My SL5 is a 2011 model and I think it is Sil-Lite. It is definitely thinner than the 30D that they used to make the fly's from. I will post some pics tonight.
I have used the Hex3 as a solo tent every year on my week long hunting, fishing, camping extravaganza call the Blackbeard Island Archery hunt. I also use it a few times a year at other trips where super light weight is not a concern. There is room for me and all of my hunting gear. It is 7 years old and shows no sign of fading or stickiness. I believe that the polyurethane coatings on older tent floors/fly's are much more susceptible to decomposition.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:50 pm

That's good news.

This one feels "sticky" compared to the lovely Oware AsymTarp 1 silnylon.

I want to use the Shangri La 3 for winter camp and for bicycle, photography, writing, birding, and fishing "luxury camp" and for amateur radio.

I don't actually know birding, however I might like to go out on the annual winter count.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 pm

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/golite/s ... iew/24617/

This is my "initial impressions" review over at Trailspace.

Trailspace likes having reviews.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Good review Connie. I was going to mention that I have seen several that had been modified with a 12" or so piece of no-seeum mesh attached to the bottom edge in lieu of the nest (which is heavy and takes up some internal space).
I thought I had some pics of the outside of the SL5 closed up, but I dont. Here are a few not so great pictures of the inside, and some from my October week in the Smokies for fun. We normally stay in a hotel for the night before striking out but elected to stay in the campground at Cades Cove this year. It was a torrential downpour and I hadnt had time to seamseal it. The only place it leaked was where the the attachments for the inner nest penetrate the seam. I was able to stop the leaks with a dab of silnet at each penetration. If youll notice my pad is askew on the right, this is so we could come and go without having to step on or over the pad. A night of cadillac camping was nice before a week of spartan living.

my spinnshelter

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:25 pm

That picture in the field is awesome.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 pm

cadyak, The only place it leaked was where the the attachments for the inner nest penetrate the seam. I was able to stop the leaks with a dab of silnet at each penetration.

That is good to know.

Is that a Shangri La 5 and only two people?

What poncho is that? What is that red-leaved shrub in the field and at the side of the trail?

That Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter appears to have a lot of room inside. Is that an exaggeration of the camera lens?

I notice you have the same tripod chair as I have, too. In the interest of lightweight, I drilled out the pop-rivits and use the seat on three sticks lashed together in the middle. Really. It was and is a perfectly good camp chair.

I thought of having a No-See-Um mesh inner door and a No-See-Um mesh skirt on the Shangri La 3. However, I am concerned about the mesh "skirt" freezing into the snow, in Winter. Maybe I should just keep on using my Outdoor Research Bug Bivy. If I got an inner bug net, it would be an Oware Alphamid. What do you think?

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 pm

That is the Shangrila 5 and yes thats just 2 people but there is also a lot of equipment too. It is a lovely palace for two. When I see the diagrams of people placement in these shelters It doesnt quite seem realistic sometimes.
If you look at the diagram of the SL5 there are 4 people laying shoulder to shoulder and one person at their feet. Yes its possible but..... :D

the spinnshelter has significantly more room than the SL1 between the poles. I have heard this as a complaint by others but have never had a problem with it myself and I am 6'3, 225lbs. the fact that the rear pole is outside adds another foot.
I think that you will love the SL3 for one or two people and your gear and will have enough room to not be clamoring all over one another.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 am

Tyvek floor makes for a bright interior. Great for night time visuals. :D

Thanks for the insight on your equipment. very informative.

What piece of gear is being used to protect yourself and pack in the rain in the one photo?

Kadyak, Are your trekking poles necessary in the terrain we see in the photos?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:31 am

zelph, What piece of gear is being used to protect yourself and pack in the rain in the one photo?

Is it an olive green CedarTree: The Packa?

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”