On sale

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
cadyak

Re: On sale

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 am

I am using a Golite poncho tarp for the inclement weather with a thin bungi around my waist. I love a poncho as long as it isnt frigid weather and too windy because they are so airy and I dont need a pack cover.

I wish I knew what kind of tree that was. I just thought it made a pretty scene. Photo is taken at the top of Spence Field (5000ftelev). I had heard of it for years and it was my first time seeing it. I have never been up there during the leaf change and it was spectacular. Coming up from Cades Cove it is like a 3500 ft of steep climbing so the poles come in handy for sure. I like them for downhills too. I used to just carry one but all of the solo shelters I have now use two poles.
Sudden: The field picture is on Gregory Bald, Quite a pretty place. It is home to the flame azalea and I am going to go and try to catch them blooming this June. There are some great pictures of the blooms up there online. :D
All of this grass was a new experience for me as I have only hiked farther north where it is a totally different kind of forest/geology.

video from Rockytop, 5500ft elev my hiking buddy is holding the camera

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I think it's cool to go up in elevation and see how the plant species change. That fog looks thick enough eat :o

I googled and found this info. Is this the trail you were on?

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X ... ,r:17,s:45
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:34 pm

anthony creek trail to bote mountain and Spence Field Shelter. -DAY 1 (a short day at 5.2 miles)

This whole trip was about sight seeing. We made several side trips and after day averaged about 10 miles per day.
Cant wait to go back, but I am planning a 5 night bike tour for march. :D :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 pm

zelph, fog

People say that all the time. Actually, you are up "in the clouds" not down in the fog. If you think about it, it is a nice thought. I am standing up high in the clouds. I am touching the clouds.

I like a poncho, too, some have snaps and even webbing with snaps to roll up the extra long length.

I use two hiking poles, now, convinced because I wanted to use them for my shelter.

The fact is, the hiking poles ease the pounding on my knees on steep descents in the mountains, are handy for balance, and are surprisingly useful. Hiking poles can be helpful for stream crossing, as well. I have even been able to use one model for a monopod for my camera.

That looks like a great area for hiking and camping. :D
Last edited by ConnieD on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 pm

That Spence field Shelter is quite nice :D
Attachments
images.jpg

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:45 pm

That is a typical shelter in the Smokies on the AT. I have not stayed at the Spence Shelter but have several others. Most have a fireplace and Some even have a nice privy. I really enjoy hiking in the Smokies. :D

cadyak: did you get a chance to fish abrams Creek while you were there? Did you have any sunny clear days?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:56 am

That is a very nice shelter and we had it to ourselves that first night, which made up for the total insanity that was nights 2,3, and 5. Someone had a stroke of brilliance and replaced a portion of the roofs with skylight type roof panels. It makes the shelters so much brighter during the day. Met some wild individuals on this trip for sure. It was only rainy on the first two days. The rest were extremely nice. This was the first time I have been up there any other time besides the dead of winter in almost 20 years so just to see color was very new and exciting for me. I did fish Abrams creek before leaving the campground but I didnt have much luck. I am still getting used to fly fishing :?
Last edited by cadyak on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:11 pm

cadyak, "wild individuals"

That would be "two-legged" :?:

Fly-fishing gives advantage to the fish. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:That is a typical shelter in the Smokies on the AT. I have not stayed at the Spence Shelter but have several others. Most have a fireplace and Some even have a nice privy. I really enjoy hiking in the Smokies. :D

cadyak: did you get a chance to fish abrams Creek while you were there? Did you have any sunny clear days?

It is no wonder most hikers want to get to the shelters. It's a Ramada in the wilderness ;) That's really roughing it!!! No doubt they have steel rings in the walls for hammocks. Located in the corners ;) hahaha, I envision them hanging three high :lol: Ladders provided for entry to upper hammocks.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Sorry; no hammock rings in the shelter but I have seen one rigged up inside a shelter; with all occupants permissions, of course. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”