Nice DIY Hammock video

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
sudden

Nice DIY Hammock video

Postby sudden » Sun May 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Found this today. I was looking at different ways to make the hammock ends. I like the look of this. It seems fairly easy too :D (good for me).
Mine is 3/4 of the way sewn (hemmed). It's ok for a first attempt but pretty wavy on the stitches. I think his end system is better than what I could get if I just sewed it only. If you have the time, let me know what you think of his method. Thanks.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Re: Nice DIY Hammock video

Postby realityguy » Sun May 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Looks like it should work well..My last one(or two?) .I attach the bugmesh above the zipper(or side panel) and ended up sewing the the excess(6-8") beyond the zipper ends in a complete loop of fabric/bugmesh,then fold,whip finish with line.if I don't like the lay..I can cut off the whip finish ,pull it in here and there and whip finish again.
If you burn/ melt the ends together,you can't do that without cutting some off and redoing all the folding burmning,etc...Being this is your first one,you may want to be able to adjust things here and there.
I'm not getting any sound...to see if he is mentioning pulling up the outside edges a little to "bathtub" the hammock some with higher sides,flatter lay,etc..or just leaves them as they lie..He still needs to sew in the bug screen if he is using it..easier to do when the material is also flat.I lay out my asymetircal points,sew in my curve pieces there for smoother zipper lines,measure the new "bent,curved" edge line..and adjust my bug mesh to match the curve and side for length.As I said..it's easier sewing when the hammock is not bunched up at the ends and just as easy to bunch it after when the zippers and bug mesh are in...for ME..that is..Everybody makes theirs a little different.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 22, 2011 5:58 pm

I like the look of this. It seems fairly easy too (good for me).
Mine is 3/4 of the way sewn (hemmed). It's ok for a first attempt but pretty wavy on the stitches. I think his end system is better than what I could get if I just sewed it only.

:D
You're moving right along, no grass growing under your feet :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 22, 2011 6:35 pm

I'll take a look at the whip finish style. I suppose I can use his method on one end and keep the other as a whip style for adjusting length. Good idea.

I have 4 yards of nylon to work with. Nobody has a formula out there that helps with height/shoulder width vs. hammock length. It's all by experience. The general guideline I've found is narrow + longer is ok and shorter + wider is ok.

After sewing the long hems, the width is 53". I may as well use the whole ~12ft length to start off and adjust it down as needed.

I'm not going to put a bug net on it. I'll have bug spray on anyway and don't plan to stay in it more than a few hours. That saves a tiny bit of weight and cost.

"pulling up the outside edges a little to "bathtub"
I'll have to do some searching on this idea. Doesn't it put a lot of stress on the side hem?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 22, 2011 9:27 pm

I'll have to do some searching on this idea. Doesn't it put a lot of stress on the side hem?

If you sit on them..but it does make a person stay more in the center of the hammock.I posted the one thread I followed on hammock forums in here somewhere;very informative one.They discuss pulling up the sides,whip finishing,adding curve pieces for zippers,etc.If you like his method of burning,try it or use it.
Bugspray..I know deet eats flylines badly..I'd be leary of any contact of nylon and other synthetic items with deet.I used to go through a set of flylines each year when i was working for only a month at a flyfishing camp in Alaska and using it heavily to stay alive.Any residual deet on your hands ends up on the plastic coatings and makes them crack every few inches and your line "hinging" instead of looping at those points.Do whatever you can to keep it off your lines or wash them with soap and water after every trip you use deet.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 am

<double post>
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon May 23, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 23, 2011 11:38 am

The packing tape idea may be why the seams at the edges of my Choinard Pea Pod (hammock) are strong.

The edge seams on the Choinard Pea Pod (hammock) are folded over twice, with three lines of stitching the length of the material. In this instance, the edge seams are stiffer than the fabric.

I am thinking that packing tape was used, and then, trimmed and left inside the folded edge, and then, stitched down.

Maybe this is what made a very strong edge seam?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Any time you double roll the edges you end up with three times the strength of the original material.I probably don't even need to add triangles of extra cloth at those tieout points..with those triangle material edges rolled over once also,I end up with 5 layers around the tieouts.. :shock:
Fell seams create 4 times the strength..why I don't mind adding a fell seam along the ridge line of tarps.You can stretch the hell out of them without worrying about it giving out,verses single strength material over a ridge line that will rub with the wind and wear.
The use of binding tape. :roll: .well...I've never used it because I think the rolled edges are a lot stronger and the main material is less prone to unraveling when it is several layers thick and the layer with the edges being the farthest one inside.Binding tape only sews on the perimeter edge in a ways which doesn't help the bond between the nylon and tape and pulls directly on the sewn thread to nylon..unless you still roll the edges first.
Of course sewing the edges three times is more than likely 50% stronger(threadwise..otherwise?) than two rows.I'd be amazed if it rips through my two rows of stitching.There has to be a point where all the rows of stitching compromises the strength of the material though....

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 pm

I did finish sewing my hammock. Not sure if I let all of you know. My lines weren't perfect but nothing failed so far.

I still need to order some amsteel rope. Been too lazy lately :)

I think I would be happier with wider material or a bridge style hammock but this is going to work for a quick place to rest. I might play around with a bridge hybrid (pole on one end only for shoulder width).

Thanks again to everyone for all the ideas and help.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:19 pm

You do know we require pictures,right?.. :roll:

:lol: ..Just kidding..up to you..I think straight hammocks have a tendency to pinch the shoulders..the asymetrical design one not so much.Bridge hybird?..sounds interesting..Can you incorporate a trek pole for the spanner?..Just an idea..

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”