Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
ConnieD

hammock

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 15, 2011 9:04 am

realityguy

Re: hammock

Postby realityguy » Sun May 15, 2011 11:25 am

Someone on one of the forums actually made one that rolled into a pack..That could be handy,unless you want to set up camp and then go from there..packless.. :roll: ..If someone wanted to save a couple pounds..might be a good way and maybe just have a nylon bag as a goodie bag inside the "cowboy bedroll" pack..
Just an idea..I could easily see a hammock rolled up and velcroed with just a shoulder sling for someone wanting to get by with a fanny pack..maybe strapped alongside a flyrod case... ;) ..for those 400 yard fishing expeditions.
Maybe the hammock could have a rod holder sewn into it..and a cup/beercan holder. :mrgreen: .Now we're fishin' in style! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 15, 2011 12:39 pm

The hammock alone looks like a Grizz bridge hammock to me.

As you say, roll it up: bedroll, fishing rod. Single strap, over one shoulder. Go hike.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 15, 2011 1:43 pm

I think the idea of a fanny/hip-type pack for most essentials..and adding that..could solve Sudden's hiking problems.. ;) he can set it down if it bothers him,switch shoulders, or hand carry it now and then...Even a lightweight tent -type "bag" with a good single padded shoulder strap for the flyrod and hammock inside..That could weigh less than a lb and carry both..maybe a small side pocket or two..not too much to make it weigh a lot..maybe 3-4lbs tops(loaded)..
Needed:One good padded shoulder strap from an old pack,tent bag with a drawstring(or make your own after sewing the side pockets on..figure a yard of material),couple squares of cloth for the pockets with 1' of velcro for closures,a push button drawsting closer, and some thread.
"Oh Sudden!We've got your first easy sewing project worked out for you!" :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 15, 2011 4:26 pm

I think that needs a heavily, or, lightly padded waistbelt he finds comfortable.

The one he pictured looks good for the largest capacity. That Kelty also looks good.

I had as severe a back injury, or more. That is when I really discovered so-called lumbar packs.

The weight has to be able to be transfered to the iliac crests. Your legs will carry the weight from there. Your legs are the largest and strongest muscles in the entire body, whether a man or a woman.

You really do not want all the weight or most of the weight in one place: one shoulder, both shoulders, on one arm, for example. I already know I can adjust the straps, just a little, to change the way the weight is carried. His pack adjustment video he posted gets you started right.

No matter what, a floppy loose lumpy pack is a miserable experience.

I should have posted this on the other thread!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Copy..Post on both... ;) ..but I'm sure most people involved will see it here also..

Connie..it appears you and me are the only ones NOT camping somewhere this weekend..but I have been camping in my uke shop..does that count? :lol:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 15, 2011 5:13 pm

I am camping at my computer.

I am virtual camping on my hammock.

That's me in the picture.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun May 15, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm here. For a minute anyway. Nothing but rain and more rain today.

I found a link where a guy sets up his hammock using just one tree. The other end hangs from his hiking pole. Looked very secure the way he tied it out but he used bit of a trick too. One of the ropes from the pole was secured to a root or small stump that was sticking up. Stakes only might have pulled loose at a bad time.

It's funny that you show a framed hammock. I wouldn't be thinking along those lines but I was thinking of using my hiking poles on each end instead of just gathering the ends.

I could go with this design. It would feel great on my back but getting out of it could be an issue :mrgreen:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am

I've thought about using hiking poles for one end but the stability issue has prevented me from trying it out.Guylines to tree roots,around big rocks,etc would have to be mandatory.On the other hand..i live in Washington and there always seems to be trees around when camping..so I haven't bothered.. :roll:
My problem seems to be more the SIZE of the trees..so I made extensions for the wraps around the trees;if and when I need them.Those midwest people appear to have only alder/larch/birch bushes and pecker poles... :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 16, 2011 9:21 pm

I was not given the luxury of a campout this weekend :cry:

Been busy with preparing for a plant sale, digging and potting up plants.

also trying to stay focused on a batch of 200 Venom Super Stoves. Lots of things going on all at once.

Still working on stoves today. I need to do a stove video befor the end of today.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”