Knots...

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
JBRanger

Re: Knots...

Postby JBRanger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:00 pm

there were no dead overhead branches where I was.

mikepetersen

Re: Knots...

Postby mikepetersen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 am

ConnieD wrote:Amsteel does not take knots well, slipping right out. This is why the WhoOpie Sling were invented. Opie also made the adjustable ridgeline and Tree Huggers, some are now calling Slap Straps.

Opie's illustrations at Hammock Forum showed people HowTo do it. I paid, because I pay the innovator whenever I can.

A trucker's hitch is a good knot because your weight will not make the knot impossible to untie. It has to be "locked" and half hitches do not hold on this stuff. I think a clove hitch will hold to lock it off.

The bowline can slip, illustration of differences explained, unless both "tails" are on the same side. Grizz says: I've never had a bowline fail that way with Amsteel or Vectrus, and I use bowlines a lot! A habit of mine though is to put an overhand stopper knot at the end of the "rabbit", just in case that slippery devil has any thoughts about slipping back out of the "hole". Frawg says: I'd do an eye splice, but if you finish off the running end of the bowline with a stopper knot (overhand or figure eight) I think the bowline would be okay.

Some use small carabiners like this for the tarp ridgeline. The benefit of the ridgeline is the "hang" of the hammock for flattest lay on the diagonal, unless a "footbox" in the Warbonnet hammock, even a Warbonnet benefits from a adjustable ridgeline, because the hammock is consistently suspended at a 30-degree angle, to the adjustable ridgeline, and independent to the connection from that point on to the Tree Huggers.

The tarp ridgeline is independent; it is a separate ridgeline.

The adjustable ridgeline for the hammock ridgeline, for most people, is 105 - 110 inches.

Some use the tautline hitch. Most use a trucker's hitch and a clove hitch to lock off the adjustable ridgeline for the hammock.

Many choose Tree Huggers and the marlinspike hitch, to connect the WhoOpie Slings. The marlinspike hitch uses either a toggle or a carabiner in the place of the toggle. Once set, it is easily setup and taken down, by the toggle or with the carabiner.

The whole point of the WhoOpie slings is their adjustability, and there is technique to achieve it properly, and lock, the Amsteel.

The knot at the hammock is really whipping and a lark's head knot on the outside of a gathered end hammock because the Amsteel may abrade the channel. Others use a double sheet bend.

The Tree Huggers webbing are secured with a Dutch Clip sold at Hammock Forums store, but Opie's Tree Huggers have a loop in each end, and so, I thread the free end thru the loop end.

Here is a convenient reference for knots.

Professor Hammock in three parts. Part one: Webbing shows the Tree Huggers. Part Two: shows how to benefit of this cordage. Part three: shows the Adjustment and use of the WhoOpie Sling.

Do not be dazzled by Professor Hammock. Remember: adjustability under the tarp is good to rig and remove your hammock in inclement weather. This is the thru channel technique and the lark's head method. However, Grizz says: My suspicion is that the lightest suspension system sold commercially is the cord + tree hugger option with the Blackbird. There the "excess beyond minimal" is a small light (0.2 oz on mine) tri-ring to which the suspension cord is tied with a slipped buntline hitch. Assuming your question is really "This is a really light suspension, right?" the answer is yes. I like it quite a lot for that reason and the easy adjustability; I have converted three of my hammocks to use it. The rope at the hammock would only abraid it if there is movement. With a lark's head where the cord goes through twice and is cinched down, there's not movement.

Opie shows How to attach a WhoOpie Sling to your hammock.

Here is one complete setup, by Frawg.

Here are pictures. His is inside channel, not a lark's head.

Here is a slideshow video of this suspension system using rings, I mentioned.

The illustration at the link shows the benefit of the hammock ridgeline for the 30-degree position of the hammock.

Thanks a lot ConnieD for great videos. I have never done this type of knots before. I will try.

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”