ConnieD

Re: Knots...

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Didn't you seam seal it?

You know, all that would help if I had a sewing machine and livingroom. :roll:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Yes i did seam seal the hammock tarp..however..the serged seams stretch different ly and more so than flat felled seams.The major seam has just the two side panels pulling away from each other..the other stitches have more material in them(where the additional material was laid over to one side and sewn again)..why the flat felled seams work better and stay more waterproof the serged ones.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon May 31, 2010 3:26 pm

Back to my original topic...

Rode out a NASTY storm last night in the hammock. Yes, with the standard A-Sym tarp. No, I did not get weight. The knots held perfectly. I got a little spray every once in a while when the rain would blow in sideways but it was just spray. My poncho liner UQ caught some water but it did not wick. So, all in all, A VERY GOOD test of the knot and the hammock. :DB: :DB:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 31, 2010 9:41 pm

So, all in all, A VERY GOOD test of the knot and the hammock. :DB: :DB:

You'll become a seasoned hanger in short order. Nice going knot tier extraordinaire :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:07 am

I think you have done it, JBRanger.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:35 am

Yea, its (K)not as ubercool as the WS, but if you have the standard setup this is (1) fast option. :) BTW, one tent peg did pull up out of the ground. Not all the way, but most of it. I was getting blown around pretty good. LOL!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 am

JBRanger wrote:Yea, its (K)not as ubercool as the WS, but if you have the standard setup this is (1) fast option. :) BTW, one tent peg did pull up out of the ground. Not all the way, but most of it. I was getting blown around pretty good. LOL!

Were you out in the woods or in your back yard?

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:12 am

Backyard. In hindsight, this actually made it worse as I had nothing blocking one side of me. The wind came straight across an open area of field and hit me broadside. The lightning made an interesting show. :shock:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:25 pm

JBRanger wrote:Backyard. In hindsight, this actually made it worse as I had nothing blocking one side of me. The wind came straight across an open area of field and hit me broadside. The lightning made an interesting show. :shock:

Being in a woodland setting in a storm is serious business. Falling limbs/trees are a threat. I always look for a fallen tree that I can take shelter under in case of a storm threat. I was in a big one in a State forest(at night). Trees started snapping, limbs coming down all over the place. My family and I took shelter in our car. After the storm we see half a tree came to rest 30 feet away............way too close for my liking. Take cover or get out of the woods :o

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:38 pm

+1 Dead branches overhead are called "widow-makers".

I have heard some hammockers tie-out their hammock from the middle on each side from sewn-in tabs.

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”