Knots...

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
ConnieD

Re: Knots...

Postby ConnieD » Thu May 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Hey! I think I read here Zelph has a bridge hammock.

I wonder if he made it?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Zelph make a hammock?!... :shock: ....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 am

I really really wanted to make my own, really!!!! Time is flying by so fast my head is spinning :mrgreen:

I did manage to relocate my 2 sewing machine tables from the greenhouse to the garage. One is a true walking foot, commercial type. I used to have a double needle Dircropp, made in Germany, for use with 1,000 denier nylon. I used to make very large stuff sacks for rolls of carpeting. The rolls of carpeting were shipped by truck to trade shows. The bags protected them en route. I used 2" webbing for handles on them there big duffel bags :o

I do have a "Grizz Bridge" made by "Professor Hammock" I wish I could take the time and run away from home and do some hangin. :P I have a Warbonnet also to compare both worlds.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 am

Maybe you should hang them locally to try them out..Pick the one you like best..then try to copy one for the wife... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri May 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Awww... you have like "the coolest of the cool" and you haven't used them...

Get out there :!: Get pictures :!:

Why "walking foot"? I thought I could use a serger machine? I mean thread-injector.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri May 28, 2010 4:02 pm

I have a couple walking foot Pfaffs 1222Es with the walking foot.the reason for using the walking foot is that the new super lightweight tent materials have a tendency to "wander" differently top to bottom and the walking foot on top keeps these materials stretching the same and in line better.My undertent for the "Beach Chalet" used some really lightweight uncoated nylon verses tulle that kept going everywhere but where I wanted it.
Sergers..I have two.. a Pfaff Hobbylock and a Babylock Proline(haven't tried yet).I used them for a couple early projects but found they have a problem also with the light materials balling up and jamming everything.You really have to keep on top of them.The other problem is that I don't think their seams would be as watertight/strong as fell seams and they need more finish sewing to complete anyway.
For finishing edges,they work great..just not for seams in the field..JMO...

My sewing machines are two of the Pfaff 1222E(walking foot,electronic),a Bernina Record 830 Electronic ,the Pfaff Hobby(1132? series),3-4 other cheaper machines(mostly singers).I've sold in the last couple months:2 other berninas,a kenmore quilter,and a 1935 singer featherweight...

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri May 28, 2010 4:56 pm

The "walking foot" is just an attachment on top, right?

There are still feed dogs underneath, or, is it a different sewing machine? I mean, thread injector.

I found this online claiming it is not a domestic sewing machine, with an attachment, it is only an industrial machine. But he talks about sewing leather.

I passed the "test" to be hired at North Sails, Sausalito sewing a flat seam with a crappy thread injector. It had to be a joke machine, rigged to ball up the bobbin!! I cleared the bobbin without breaking the threads and I didn't miss a stitch. Anyway, I told George Gianola and he went over there and took my job. He owned his own boat canvas business, but his MD told him to get into something involving less stress than business ownership, so he had his wife and sons and daughters step-up to run the family business. Oh, the point of the story: that machine had no "walking foot".

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 28, 2010 11:45 pm

There are still feed dogs underneath, or, is it a different sewing machine? I mean, thread injector.

The the lower feed dog "walk" in unison with the top feed dog. Both grab hold and move in unison. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 29, 2010 12:29 am

The the lower feed dog "walk" in unison with the top feed dog...FOOT..Both grab hold and move in unison. ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 29, 2010 12:15 pm

A gear junkie if there ever was one!!!!!............and a thrifty one to boot :D

I wanna be your neighbor :mrgreen:

Don't you wanna be..don't you wanna be..my neighbor!(Mr Rogers)...

:o I'm sorry..just found that picture in my files..couldn't pass up posting it... :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay..back to knots...

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”