Knots...

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
zelph

Re: Knots...

Postby zelph » Sat May 29, 2010 5:29 pm

realityguy wrote:The the lower feed dog "walk" in unison with the top feed dog...FOOT..Both grab hold and move in unison. ;)

I stand on my own two feet and am corrected :mrgreen: thank you :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat May 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Then, only a commercial walking foot machine will handle silnylon, epic, momentum or no-see-um netting, for example?

My mom managed to sew silk, wool or crepe, of any weight, with her machine at home.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 29, 2010 10:58 pm

No..but it'll handle it better without two materials stretching differently and getting out of line..equal tension on both portions,especially for people more inexperienced with handling lighter materials.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 29, 2010 11:00 pm

ConnieD wrote:Then, only a commercial walking foot machine will handle silnylon, epic, momentum or no-see-um netting, for example?

My mom managed to sew silk, wool or crepe, of any weight, with her machine at home.

I have not sewn silnylon or the others.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 29, 2010 11:04 pm

1.9oz isn't bad..when you get to the real light stuff it stretches more.When you get two different pieces/types together and trying to keep them in line..can get pretty tough to keep things going smoothly.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 am

Do people selling silnylon, momentum, epic and no-see-um mosquito netting products have a walking foot commercial sewing machine? It would seem two sets of dogs, okay one foot dogs and dogs underneath, would tear it up.

I am asking because I would like to make more outdoor gear.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 30, 2010 5:42 am

ConnieD wrote:Do people selling silnylon, momentum, epic and no-see-um mosquito netting products have a walking foot commercial sewing machine? It would seem two sets of dogs, okay one foot dogs and dogs underneath, would tear it up.

I am asking because I would like to make more outdoor gear.

Connie, you don't need the fancy shmancy sewing machine to sew those fabrics. It would make it easier, I'm sure, but all you have to do is take your time and get good results. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 30, 2010 11:25 am

Cuz,you know me..I don't pin anything together..usually just iron folds and sew.I depend more on "eyeball" measurements for the most part.These are TENTS/HAMMOCKS..not clothing.I didn't do any cant cuts on the tipi..but the second one I might just to see how it comes out..verses straight cuts.I wanted more headroom at the top so I could stand up.I don't think cant cuts will allow that and decrease the small amount of space there.I'll be using the walking foot machine because of the methods I use for doing my sewing.
The undertent for the beach chalet uses the 1.1 or so uncoated nylon attached to tulle attached to a coated 1.9 floor and a curved zipper.. :o .. where the cuts made the material wonky to sew together.It didn't come out as perfect as I had hoped,but should work fine as shown in the photos.I did add some more clips to the midspan of the roof and the midpoints across the bottom to stretch it more in place where it was needed..after the setup and test of the undertent and fly togetherThe floor has elastic cord that runs out to the fly stakes to use the same stakes for both purposes..reducing weight by allowing less stakes to pitch the thing.
Smoother materials are realy slick,especially with coatings.1.9oz stuff is easy to sew and stays in place while you are doing it.1.1-1.3oz or 1oz tulle has a lot more stretch to it than heavier coatings.I figured if I'm going to be using/sewing those materials..I better get the walking foot setup.If I'm only sewing 1.9oz or heavier..and to tulle..it'll work okay without having the walking foot system.
This spring (or summer :roll: ) I plan on making a backpack about 3000cu.in. and at 1lb if possible which I can probably put together with a normal,more simple machine.I also plan on making that down(top)/pad pocket(bottom)/bag I was discussing last fall and winter..where I need the walk-foot machine because of the lighter weight material.

Here' is one of the simpliest,shortest videos of a walking foot in use..gives you an idea of what it really does--->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuSD45vG ... re=related

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun May 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Nice video.

I have seen that kind of machine before. Friends have a boat canvas business. I loved looking in the Dutch Door or the open window from the boatyard, where I kept my little sailboat. Now, they have moved into a bigger loft and I would sit still on a tall stool, but it isn't the same.

My mom used a slightly sticky paper tape for really difficult material, tearing it off each side of the seam, when the seam was finished. Mom taught sewing lessons, during The Great Depression, for Singer Sewing Machine, Co. and sewed for a Hollywood designer, beautiful gowns and anything he gave her. The U.S. Navy wives also had beautiful French woolens and silk from the Orient.

Mom let me lay it out, but not cut and not sew. My biggest achievement was "successfully laying out" a plaid.

I didn't get much experience, but I have seen things done the right way.

Mom did select her machines carefully, making sure they pulled evenly and all the components worked properly.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 30, 2010 7:03 pm

The video was the simpliest and the clearest representation i could find that shows what the foot really does..

Seeing your mother's methods of sewing should give you a large jump up on sewing any projects..gives you a better idea of what to expect of different materials and what's needed to keep them in place and under control while you are sewing two disimilar types together.You shouldn't have any problems.
My sewing lessons were the same way as everything else I've learned in the past,mostly trial and error.The first project is always the "learning curve".The second one is done the right way.
My first hammock tarp was done with a serger and the joined ridge edge folded over(underside) and sewn a couple more rows in that flat position..holding up fine so far.I think it might be more prone to stretch and leakage at the seams than fell seams..but I've never had it out in adverse weather conditions.

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”