Knots...

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
JBRanger

Knots...

Postby JBRanger » Mon May 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Adjustable hitch or Tautline hitch? I would like to use this since I don't yet have a whoopie sling on my HH. Could either of these knots support me? Sure I have a bowline in the line and it works, was just thinking of different ways to skin a cat.

Any input? Connie perhaps?

DarenN

Re: Knots...

Postby DarenN » Mon May 17, 2010 2:24 pm

take a look at the Hennessy website. i think there is a video on how to tie their hitch. just another option.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon May 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Yea, I've done their knot setup. I don't particularly care for it. There are much fast solutions to be had.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 18, 2010 6:48 am

Amsteel does not take knots well, slipping right out. This is why the WhoOpie Sling were invented. Opie also made the adjustable ridgeline and Tree Huggers, some are now calling Slap Straps.

Opie's illustrations at Hammock Forum showed people HowTo do it. I paid, because I pay the innovator whenever I can.

A trucker's hitch is a good knot because your weight will not make the knot impossible to untie. It has to be "locked" and half hitches do not hold on this stuff. I think a clove hitch will hold to lock it off.

The bowline can slip, illustration of differences explained, unless both "tails" are on the same side. Grizz says: I've never had a bowline fail that way with Amsteel or Vectrus, and I use bowlines a lot! A habit of mine though is to put an overhand stopper knot at the end of the "rabbit", just in case that slippery devil has any thoughts about slipping back out of the "hole". Frawg says: I'd do an eye splice, but if you finish off the running end of the bowline with a stopper knot (overhand or figure eight) I think the bowline would be okay.

Some use small carabiners like this for the tarp ridgeline. The benefit of the ridgeline is the "hang" of the hammock for flattest lay on the diagonal, unless a "footbox" in the Warbonnet hammock, even a Warbonnet benefits from a adjustable ridgeline, because the hammock is consistently suspended at a 30-degree angle, to the adjustable ridgeline, and independent to the connection from that point on to the Tree Huggers.

The tarp ridgeline is independent; it is a separate ridgeline.

The adjustable ridgeline for the hammock ridgeline, for most people, is 105 - 110 inches.

Some use the tautline hitch. Most use a trucker's hitch and a clove hitch to lock off the adjustable ridgeline for the hammock.

Many choose Tree Huggers and the marlinspike hitch, to connect the WhoOpie Slings. The marlinspike hitch uses either a toggle or a carabiner in the place of the toggle. Once set, it is easily setup and taken down, by the toggle or with the carabiner.

The whole point of the WhoOpie slings is their adjustability, and there is technique to achieve it properly, and lock, the Amsteel.

The knot at the hammock is really whipping and a lark's head knot on the outside of a gathered end hammock because the Amsteel may abrade the channel. Others use a double sheet bend.

The Tree Huggers webbing are secured with a Dutch Clip sold at Hammock Forums store, but Opie's Tree Huggers have a loop in each end, and so, I thread the free end thru the loop end.

Here is a convenient reference for knots.

Professor Hammock in three parts. Part one: Webbing shows the Tree Huggers. Part Two: shows how to benefit of this cordage. Part three: shows the Adjustment and use of the WhoOpie Sling.

Do not be dazzled by Professor Hammock. Remember: adjustability under the tarp is good to rig and remove your hammock in inclement weather. This is the thru channel technique and the lark's head method. However, Grizz says: My suspicion is that the lightest suspension system sold commercially is the cord + tree hugger option with the Blackbird. There the "excess beyond minimal" is a small light (0.2 oz on mine) tri-ring to which the suspension cord is tied with a slipped buntline hitch. Assuming your question is really "This is a really light suspension, right?" the answer is yes. I like it quite a lot for that reason and the easy adjustability; I have converted three of my hammocks to use it. The rope at the hammock would only abraid it if there is movement. With a lark's head where the cord goes through twice and is cinched down, there's not movement.

Opie shows How to attach a WhoOpie Sling to your hammock.

Here is one complete setup, by Frawg.

Here are pictures. His is inside channel, not a lark's head.

Here is a slideshow video of this suspension system using rings, I mentioned.

The illustration at the link shows the benefit of the hammock ridgeline for the 30-degree position of the hammock.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed May 19, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 18, 2010 8:17 am

JBRanger,

Here is a demonstration of a Hammock Whoopie Sling on a Fixed Strap system already setup, for a fast setup and takedown in the field.

He is using a Bishop's bag, while others use a hammock sock or Hennessey Hammock Snake Skins. These protect the hammock from the elements during set up and take down.

Here is a Hammock Forum thread and video specifically for the Hennessey Hammock conversion to the WhoOpie Sling lightweight system.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed May 19, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue May 18, 2010 9:34 am

Hey, thanks Connie. That's a lot of info to digest. I have seen some of it already. But it's still good to look at and some stuff I have yet to see.

I currently use the snake skins on my HH. My tree straps have holes in each end and one end COULD be passed through the other and pulled tight. Also, a carabiner or dutch clip could be used to attach one end to the other as well for a setup that would stay tied together.

So, is the whoopie sling and other setups mainly for dropping some of the weight of the suspension? It also has a lot of adjustability as well. (shrug) I guess there is so many different ways to set up a hammock one could do it differently each time. Sort of like all the different ways stoves can be made.

Like I said, I use the snake skins. Am thinking of getting small carabiners so I can leave the rope ends tied to the tree straps. Only thing I still have outside of the skins is my stock asym tarp. I'm thinking that it could use a seperate ridgeline to raise it up off the hammock a little in nicer weather.

Thanks again for all the input. Now to digest it all. :)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 18, 2010 1:40 pm

By your remarks, I see you did "get it": It substitutes much lighter weight materials and offers all of the best methods of rigging it as options.

There are two separate and different purpose ridgelines: the hammock ridgeline that sets the hammock "pitch" and the tarp ridgeline that may be set high, even opening up the "tarp porch" with the tarp set up Baker tarp pitch, or, set low and the end closed up over each other or have added sewn on or not sewn on "doors".

One tarp configuration even adds a tension "pole" and many tarps are having tie-outs added half-way up to open up the interior while pitched low.

It all seems to come across more complicated than it is.

With the adjustable WhoOpie slings, adjustable ridgeline and Tree Huggers and a separate ridgeline, once set up the first time, the "knots" are done and after that you merely hook it up, unhook it, and that's it, and, you select the type of connection you like best: toggle, carabiner, ring(s).

The Amsteel and their lightweight webbing are really strong but slippery. That is why the method was developed.

I only got to page 23 on only one Hammock Forums thread last night, because I had forgot the names "clove hitch" and "lark's head" and looking for around for the best video. I will add more video and still pictures of detail that is worth seeing. For example, some tie their structural ridgeline above the knot joining the hammock to Amsteel and others below the knot, depending on hammock.

I have seen, in Hammock Forum, this Amsteel and their lightweight webbing hold really some "big and tall" folks, some very very obese. I wouldn't worry about weight being a cause of failure. If it falls, the suspension system was not set up properly in the first place, that is why I put the video.

Once set up, you use the adjustable WhoOpie slings for length adjustment. That's it.

The only trick is having the length Tree Hugger aka Slap Straps you need for the circumference of the trees you encounter, or have rock climbing iron e.g. "chocks" for suspension instead of trees for example, and the length of the WhoOpie slings, however there are extenders for a long suspension. Remember: the hammock ridgeline provides the hammock pitch. It is possible to have very very long lines to get to the attachment points.

On the hammock, often one end is fixed and one end is adjustable to simplify the hang even further.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 am

This is a "field expedient" hammock set up, usable with a rectangular shape tarp, poncho or basha for example.
And that is why you have both: tarp and poncho.

Easy Hammock - Full Setup - with webbing illustrating the rigging, if a knot is chosen for the connection.

and Easy Hammock Knot 2.0 - Easiest Hammock Ever illustrating the "travel" hammock made from a rectangle of cloth.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed May 19, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm

All this talk of knots. :D
This site may not cover all of them, but I found it interesting anyways.
http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php? ... dknots.com
It's about the best I can contribute to this thread. Not a tree hanger yet...but intrigued.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Come on over to the dark side young Vibewalker! You'll never want to go back once you've slumbered in a swinging sack! ;) :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”