Another vintage tent/design...

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
realityguy

Another vintage tent/design...

Postby realityguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Here's one I picked up today..a vintage LL bean canvas tent in very good condition without rips or tears..needs a cleaning though..got some spots and smells like pipe tobacco.I rarely pick up canvas tents..but it was complete and a nice design:

It's basically an A-frame tent but with an added vestible for gear/clothes storage in the back end..very roomy inside!The main rectangle floor is 7-3 in length x 5-10 in width with the additional triangle in the back adds about 22" at the center point(triangles up to the back pole point).The height averages about 54" at the peak.I can stretch out the ridge and take the sway-back out of it more,just that I staked the higher side ties out before finishing staking the back end.
This would make a nice car-camping size for two..or a VERY roomy backpacker made in lighter materials.I think it would be pretty simple to add/pitch a standard tarp(12x12?) over it for rain cover.The front mesh/doors are a 3 zipper setup;2 horizontal and 1 vertical top to bottom with a 3" bottom canvas lip to keep dirt and the wet out... that opens up completely like the doors.It's nice to be able to actually WALK rather than CRAWL in the tent because of the increased height. ;)
The age of the tent is unknown,but it does have the "LLBean" Signature type logo and "Freeport,Maine" on the tag at the bottom of the door.This might make a nice civil war reenactment tent..but cheating a bit with aluminum poles that could be changed for wood ones and appear more authentic! :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Another vintage tent/design...

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:48 pm

I like "stand up" height :mrgreen:

Is this a good design for silnylon?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:02 pm

Is this a good design for silnylon?

That's what I'm thinking ;) ..I don't know why not.These poles go through a grommet through the actual tent so would leak a bit of rain there I imagine... but a person could change that to a couple of reinforced areas inside instead and butt the poles against them..with about 5' poles.
I would think a person could suspend the tent(or a lightweight one) with a couple of those portable car canopy bungie loops(top sheeting tighteners) with the knobs on the end,shoved up through the holes..tied to an overhead line to trees..eliminate the poles. :o
The bottom floor is large enough to make one with a 6-8" mesh perimeter to make a single wall "tarptent" of decent size and standup room and still have a large floor area.
The canvas tents I pick up more for the design,panel dimensions(for sewing) than to actually use them.

I'm still thinking a person could pitch the thing and just pitch a 12x12 tarp over it if you expect rain,adding some room out front(7'+2'=9..12-9=a 3' covered area) for a front porch rocker or cooking... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Sorry..just noticed the other pictures didn't come up..now they do.No cat this time..She got a bit miffed when I kept throwing her OFF the tent and left in a huff.. :lol: She REALLY likes this one.. :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:28 pm

One more thing..figuring the wall materials needed for this tent..a person could easily build this tent shell out of 1-12x12 tarp(with very little left over,no waste)..except the floor and mesh... :o ..with minimal sewing(for Zelph.. :mrgreen: ).You'd need an additional 6x9(of flooring nylon/oxford and mesh) for the floor for the entire thing.. ;)
Actually... that small amount left over would make a nice beak for the front doorporch.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 pm

I have plenty of silnylon to make this design be my first attempt at sewing the material. You've inspired me!!!!! :D

I'll make a 12 x 12 tarp to go over it just for the fun of it. Downpours bother me :lol: I like shade. I won't use the tent unless absolutely necessary, the tarp will do me just fine.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 pm

What's the width on your silnylon?I can figure out a plan for you if I know the width...

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:38 pm

realityguy wrote:What's the width on your silnylon?I can figure out a plan for you if I know the width...

I'll get the dimension for you tomorrow, the material is in the garage and it's pouring cats and dogs outside :o

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm

It's raining here also..cats sitting in front of the woodstove..This is the second night we've fired it up..appears winter is on its way! :cry:

I'll pm you some plans for the tent.I'll have to set it up and get some measurements.
If you have plans to use a tarp,you may want to add some more mesh to the wall..that would be under the tarp.
This tent is similar to a Kelty Canyon Ridge one,but the KCR has a flat wall on the back with a window in it.The rainfly creates a vestible in the back that can be used as a closet for your clothes by reaching through the back window.I can send pictures of that..actually I think the pictures are posted on the realityguy photobucket account.
The reason I mentioned using the 12x12 tarp..is that the side walls over the ridge probably make a 12' overall span..so a person could cut a tarp off at 7' one way,have three finished factory edges already and even some factory tie-outs maybe in 3 spots on the front flat end.Thee front doors can be sewn on and probably binding tape over the edges for finishing the front arch.The other 5'x12' that gets cut off can be used for the cutting the front door triangles(one each direction) and the two sides of the storage area extension can be made from the rest sewing up the middle of the tent,pitching it and using the "3d string design" to factor the angle dimensions to get the largest possible back storage area.There should be a couple corners cut off those(for the ground angle) to form the beak on the front..if wanted.
I'll setup the tent(hopefully tomorrow) and take the dimensions though for the entire thing,including the storage area as is.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:44 am

zelph wrote:I like "stand up" height :mrgreen:

54" at peak.....Is this Zelph or Elf? :lol: :lol:

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”