Wood Stove Project

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
Ridgerunner

Wood Stove Project

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 pm

A friend of mine owns a cabin in northern Michigan that his family built in 1931. I have visited there maybe 8 times in the spring or fall. It has been pretty chilly on several visits and he tries to heat it with two small space heaters. :o
There is a propane insert in the fireplace but there are no longer any companies that will service his upright tanks and he can't afford a new horizontal tank so I decided to help him out and gave him a small wood burner that I had intended to use in my shop but decided he needed it more. While visiting this week, I purchased all the piping needed to make it operational and the Stumpjumper and myself installed all the parts and it is making a big difference. The space heaters at max brought the temps up to 51 degrees yesterday and once we fired up the wood burner, the temperature climbed to 70 degrees at sack time. I think my friend will be a happy camper on his next trip up here ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Re: Wood Stove Project

Postby cadyak » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:27 pm

That was mighty nice of you and it sounds like its working well. My sister has a fan on their fireplace that really seems to distribute the heat well.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:19 am

Nice to have friends like Stumpjumper and Ridgerunner. :D Is that the cabin at the edge of a cliff that has the lake below?

Burn the stove hot to reduce soot build-up ;) Looks like they had a wood burning stove once before. The brick work through the wall where you put your pipe through tells something. Was it for venting the propane heater? Portable 30 pound propane tanks is what I have in my RV. That's nice to take the chill off the cabin quick like until the wood stove gets stoked up.

Thanks for sharing your new stove install project :D

Those heat fans are nice, have to get one to see how they work.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Caframo- ... lsrc=aw.ds
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:49 pm

That is the same cabin, Zelph. Many years ago they had a wood burner to the right and they ran the pipe too close to the wall as there is evidence to the right of the fireplace of charred wall where the old pipe ran. That is why they changed to propane. Now it is back to wood like a cabin should be ;) nice idea on the fan. I will let the owner pursue that one ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:09 am

The fan is more of a curiosity to me. As long as there is electricity in the cabin use a regular fan to distribute some of the air around the stove.

Did you do any fishing after the stove project?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri May 06, 2016 3:48 pm

No fishing this trip as the weather did not cooperate and the cabin owner had not renewed his canoe or boat license this year. I'm going back up in September so hopefully we will get some fishing in :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 06, 2016 10:15 pm

are you going south soon to do some crappie fishin?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Our trip to the cabin in Michigan was supposed to have been a crappie fishing trip to Arkansas but my brother in Arkansas contacted some serious health issues thus the last second change in plans.maybe next year ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Well put your gear in the car and head out to the near by state park that has the nice lake. gotta get a line wet. ;)

It's been raining here and has kept me from putting a line in.....bummer :(

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”