Materials question

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
jbutzi

Materials question

Postby jbutzi » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:52 pm

For those that know....

I have been designing and building different one piece wood stoves with a conical or cylindrical shape. (you too?) I have been approaching the design as if it were to be marketed as a fun project and challenge for me and also so me and a few friends could benefit. I have been using 302 SS from Lyon Industries. http://lyonindustries.com/?page_id=58&pid=15. When you burn in the stove the steel tends to keep the 'coiled' effect to some degree. That is fine but, for the purpose of making it able to be stored more easily(or just differently) I am looking for the SS type that will always return to a flat sheet after the stove is disassembled. Does anyone know what SS type that is? I believe it is spring SS I am looking for but I am looking for the designation as in 302, 316, etc. Can you get this in shim stock? I think I want 6" x 50" by .01". Thinner stock works but seems a little too flexible. Anything over .012 seems unnecessarily heavy and is hard for me to cut with hand tools anyway. Anyway, the stove are good burners and light weight and easy to use. I just want to work on pack-ability alternatives.

I appreciate anybody who knows telling me what type SS I need to buy and where to get it if not Lyon Industries. Thanks! :P

zelph

Re: Materials question

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:41 am

a wild guess would be "dead soft" annealed stainless steel. I would try locating something in the .005 range. Let us know if you find it ;)

Use 3 or 4 vertical stainless flat stock to support pot. spot weld them to body of stove. They will also provide some manageability of soft stainless sheet used for body.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

jbutzi

Re: Materials question

Postby jbutzi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks Zelph, I did not see this until now. Will start looking some more.

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”