Question on materials to use.

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
jbutzi

Question on materials to use.

Post by jbutzi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:59 am

I have designed and a cylindrical 'windscreen' style wood stove and built it out of tin from a paint can. I am looking to build a more durable and long lasting version from SS (or maybe even Ti) and need help with material selection. The stove is like a Littlebug but smaller and has influences from the Zelph windscreen stove and the modified IKEA utility container stove as seen on backpackinglight forums. It needs to roll up like a windscreen for storage and not deform, be able to be worked with hand tools and support a pot of course.

What material would you suggest? If SS: type 304? .01" thick? If Ti what type and thickness. I see the material sold by Titanium Goat but not sure it's thick enough.
Any suggestions on material type and thickness and source wold be appreciated. I only need a little material.

THANKS!

zelph

Re: Question on materials to use.

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 am

Welcome to bplite :D

Get a roll of .005 stainless steel shim stock from ebay. I think it's 304.

Wood burners get really hot and need at least the .005 hardened stainless for longevity/sturdyness.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

jbutzi

Post by jbutzi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks, Zelph. So then the .005 Ti from Titanium Goat should also work?

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:56 pm

jbutzi wrote:Thanks, Zelph. So then the .005 Ti from Titanium Goat should also work?
Oh yes for sure, it's the top of the pick for materials. More costly, but the bestest of the best :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/