Burning Wood Pellets

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Burning Wood Pellets

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:22 pm

I have a stainless steel tray of water on top of my wood burning stove that add moisture to the house. I have well water and tends to be loaded with good tasting minerals :lol: The tray is completely coated with lime except one tiny hole that had chipped out. That's the only place that will show bubbles :shock: :?

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:27 am

One full basket of pellets burns for approx 4 hours, nice steady heat.

Pellets burn down to white ash that falls through the 3/8" openings. I added 4 steel feet to the basket to raise it up to allow air flow under it. Worked out to be dual purpose :D allowing the ash to fall through When it comes time to start it up again in the morning a few shakes of the basket cleans out all the ash from it.

In the video you can see I've added fresh pellets to an existing red hot bed of mini coals.

The basket is holding up really well. I've given it a good check-up when I empty the ash from the stove. The basket works well due to all the holes. Air comes in from all around to aid in combustion.

I'll have to check menards to see if they will have the pellets on sale this weekend...end of season sale....maybe.

Side Note: I picked up my 2 five gallon containers of denatured alcohol 2 days ago. I'm ready for anything that comes along :mrgreen:

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Nice to see the basket idea working. I was wondering how it was going.

I get the same kind of mineral buildup on my furnace humidifier using city water. I have to soak the innards in CLR every season to get it all off. The poor little motor that turns the drum is about burned out from all the extra weight buildup.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Yeah, its time for me to start soaking my tray in cider vinegar. We have 2 gallons on hand for removing the lime. smells a little better than regular vinegar.

I think I might use one of my baskets this summer for pellets at campgrounds. cheaper than firewood sold at campgrounds and better quality also. In my area the forest preserves don't allow firewood to be brought in to prevent the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer.

$4.00 for 40 pounds of pellets is reasonable.

FireTamer

Postby FireTamer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 am

Glad the basket is working for you. If things go as planned I will be ordering a Three Dog Stove(for the Kodiak 10x14 tent that I bought this month...lol)next month and a pellet basket would be perfect. Hopefully when I get the exact door opening dimensions I will be able to find/make a basket that will work in it. It's nice to have choices. I'm also looking into an H-Burner so I will have a vented propane option. No more un-vented propane in a super cold environment for me. Cold is one thing, cold and wet is quite another. And by the time you open enough vents and windows to reduce or eliminate condensation you may as well save the fuel and turn off the heat. Boy, did I ever learn the hard way!

Be Good,
FT

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 pm

How much was shipping Zelph? I see a lot of ss hardware cloth that could be repurposed :idea: :sci:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:00 pm

FireTamer, my baskets are 3/8" welded wire SS mesh. Very few pellets fall through the openings.

RR, I'll have to check my records for the shipping cost and get back to you.

RonM

Postby RonM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:43 pm

zelph wrote:
Side Note: I picked up my 2 five gallon containers of denatured alcohol 2 days ago. I'm ready for anything that comes along.

Hey Zelph, where did you get your DA?, what brand?, how much did you pay? I think it is time for me to pick up a couple myself.
"And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire"

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:36 pm

I got the DN online at Menards. They deliver to local store nearest you. Closest to you might be a few states away :o :mrgreen: I have not checked to see if one was close to you :D

I'm a big fan of alcohol stoves. I got rid of all my coleman white gas types and went for the Origo Marine type stoves. I'm embarrassed to say how many I have :oops:

RonM

Postby RonM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 pm

zelph wrote:I got the DN online at Menards. They deliver to local store nearest you. Closest to you might be a few states away :o :mrgreen: I have not checked to see if one was close to you :D

I'm a big fan of alcohol stoves. I got rid of all my coleman white gas types and went for the Origo Marine type stoves. I'm embarrassed to say how many I have :oops:

In the past Sunnyside had almost 50% methanol. This is listed as 86%. That's pretty good. I ordered a couple - Thanks. And if it is good enough for Zelph - its good enough for me. Yes they are here in 75 sq. mi. surrounded by reality.

And at $1.65/quart for 86% EtOH is very good.
Last edited by RonM on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire"

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”