Long time, no visit! HAH!

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Long time, no visit! HAH!

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:51 pm

JBRanger wrote:Hey guys, JB here.

Been using the Woodgaz out on the trail quite a bit. So far it's out-performed SEVERAL other wood stoves that shall remain nameless. Just saying that they are some VERY well known brands. Not your run of the mill wood stoves made from bean cans....

She's looking a bit rough. Lots of surface rust and oxidation but she still performs VERY well. Wonder how some high temp paint would hold up. Hrmm. :DP: :DB:
You got too many stoves :lol: the Woodgaz is a folding stainless steel one piece stove :D oops56 names the other stove "zelphs stove" He was the one of the first I gave one to to try out. I had tons of fun designing that one. I think I made all the pot supports out of stainless steel and the body out of steel 1 quart paint cans which turns a nice earthy brown :mrgreen:

This past Monday I was 400 miles from home camped out in a wet walnut grove. Had a cool experience at night while watching my campfire. My site seemed to be crawling with firefly larvae that were emitting their soft greenish light. First time ever seeing such a display.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Ha! Too many stoves coming from mr. Stove himself. Nice. The Zelph stove once again worked well as long as I did my part. Had a guy flip his kayak last night. I had a wood for going in less than 10 minutes and that included unbagging the stove and getting wood!

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:37 pm

I don't think I'd last a minute in a kayak. :mrgreen: They look too unstable side to side for me.

The central air core/column is awesome for insurance of fire success. That's if you follow instruction offered in some threads here on using vertical stack and use telephone book paper. The instructions included with the "woodgaz" stove is the percursor idea behind the zelph stove.

Last night at my campsite it got down to 37 degrees. That was pushing my sleeping bag to it's limits. :mrgreen: My wife got up early and started a campfire and also fired up an alcohol stove for hot chocolate. Her doing that was not the norm ;)

I can tell were going into the wood burning season......I'm beginning to get orders for the "companion" burners for the bushbuddy and other wood burning stoves. I'm going to have to increase the price on those due to the amount of work involved in them. I've had the price at "introductory" level for at least 2 years now :lol: I guess that's enough time to get it introduced. ;)

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Speaking of the companion burner, my Super Stove failed to get a cold pot of water going. Not sure if I did something wrong or what as its usually a winner. Anyway, I brought out the companion burner and the pot stand for the top of the Zelph stove. Dumped in what I thought to be about 1 ounce and lit it up. Flame was beautiful and it got the water boiling. I like it for dumping the fuel in and going. It is somewhat harder to light with a firesteel as the mesh makes a spark arrestor of sorts.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 pm

JBRanger wrote:Speaking of the companion burner, my Super Stove failed to get a cold pot of water going. Not sure if I did something wrong or what as its usually a winner. Anyway, I brought out the companion burner and the pot stand for the top of the Zelph stove. Dumped in what I thought to be about 1 ounce and lit it up. Flame was beautiful and it got the water boiling. I like it for dumping the fuel in and going. It is somewhat harder to light with a firesteel as the mesh makes a spark arrestor of sorts.
The best way to light the Companion is to have your firesteel ready and as soon as the fuel is dumped in shoot the sparks to it while the steel mesh is wet. There is so much fuel holding power of the burner it sinks in and fumes are harder to come by if only a small amount of fuel is used. It was originally designed for melting snow in winter for use as cooking/drinking water. Be sure to pour the fuel onto the copper wick also.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Yea, thats exactly what I found out. How much fuel does the companion burner hold? Seems like a lot. Of course this is coming from using 1/2 to 3/4 with the SS.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 pm

JBRanger wrote:Yea, thats exactly what I found out. How much fuel does the companion burner hold? Seems like a lot. Of course this is coming from using 1/2 to 3/4 with the SS.
I think it is about 4 ounces that it will hold.

I made smaller versions of the companion but never listed them for sale. Always getting distracted :lol: I came across them while doing my garage cleaning. :roll: