Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15783
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Big question

Anyone here know how to start a wood fire in a steam locomotive fire box? :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby steamjam » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am

zelph wrote:Big question

Anyone here know how to start a wood fire in a steam locomotive fire box? :D


1. clean ash pan, punch the tubes
2. toss in as many coals as you can, and open all dampers.
3. check water glass
4. light fire in the middle by using some naptha and a rag
5. start throwing wood in. pattern L -> R -> Back -> middle
6. skewer marshmello onto stick
7. hold by the firedoor. Yer gonna be there for a while...

OIl is alot easier....

1. open oil ball valve
2. throw in rags soaked in diesel
3. open oil lever
4. hold breath
5. >BOOOF!!< there ya go. you got an oil fire.. :-D

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15783
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I was countin on you to come up with the howto's.....thank you. thank you ....thank you!!!

I went lookin and found this photo:

I marked my calendar to attend this steam power show not too far from me:

http://www.threshingbee.org/
Attachments
Locomotive_fire_tube_boiler_schematic.png
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby steamjam » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:48 pm

zelph wrote:I was countin on you to come up with the howto's.....thank you. thank you ....thank you!!!

I went lookin and found this photo:

I marked my calendar to attend this steam power show not too far from me:

http://www.threshingbee.org/


Thats your basic flame tube boiler with a super heater. There are other types too. Water tube boilers, flash boilers. etc etc

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15783
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Basics is all that I can handle :mrgreen: Thanks for insight into steam loco's I think they are totaly interesting. A couple of years ago I stood next to vintage locomotive in Iowa.......they are humongous and even bigger than that :o

Does the oil burner just drip the fuel or is it sprayed in a fine mist?

Take a look at the photos of trains in this vintage collection of color photos:

http://www.vitki.net/media/captured-ame ... -1939-1943

.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby steamjam » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 pm

zelph wrote:Basics is all that I can handle :mrgreen: Thanks for insight into steam loco's I think they are totaly interesting. A couple of years ago I stood next to vintage locomotive in Iowa.......they are humongous and even bigger than that :o

Does the oil burner just drip the fuel or is it sprayed in a fine mist?

Take a look at the photos of trains in this vintage collection of color photos:

http://www.vitki.net/media/captured-ame ... -1939-1943

.


You should look up flash boilers. I'm going to try and make one in my office sometime soon. Steam Cars used them such as the stanley, and the Doble. Even Besler used one in their steam biplane. The ultimate in tinkering!!

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby steamjam » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 pm

zelph wrote:Does the oil burner just drip the fuel or is it sprayed in a fine mist?


Oil burners use steam to atomize the oil, and a blower to inject steam into the smoke box to create a draft for the fire through the flame tubes

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby steamjam » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 pm

And I love those colour pics of the railroad life.. That is one BIIIG FRICKING MICKEY!!!

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15783
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Is the MICKEY the one being steam cleaned?

Is steam injected first to heat the tubes to cause a draft initially and then the oil fired up and the once going a natural unaided draft occurs?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Locomotive Steam Engine Wood Fired

Postby steamjam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:05 pm

zelph wrote:Is the MICKEY the one being steam cleaned?

Is steam injected first to heat the tubes to cause a draft initially and then the oil fired up and the once going a natural unaided draft occurs?


yes its a Mikado type steamer... called "mickey's"

No. Steam is injected into the smoke box after you have boiled just enough water to operate it (25psi or so) so start the draft.


Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests