Cleardomesolar wood pellet camp stove?

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
Paul B

Re: Cleardomesolar wood pellet camp stove?

Postby Paul B » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Savor what has actually been done, yet don't lose track of greater goals -

In fact, I have put together a really good, small and efficient pellet burner/stove, that will work fine at a star party, and is also compact and lite enough for day hikes and maybe a sneaky overnite (about as long and far as I'm ever likely to get from basecamp/trailhead any more).

So, I started from the Everything Nice directions on Worldstove, and tinkered a bit (or a lot!) till it does what I want. Had to make bigger air holes, and put sheet metal screws under the fuel can to get it's bottom off the deck so it can breathe from the bottom, etc. Now it looks like a miniature BushBuddy, sorta, and it's just DA BOMB with wood pellets, but small, light, and very clean, That's a success, and so I've accomplished something useful. Still, I can make it better (Cleaner holes, a less kludgy way of suspending the fire basket, etc.) and it will be more portable, more flexible, probably last longer, too.

I think I'm gonna spring for a drill press! Now, Harbor Freight seems to have one for $70, and Lowes/ Home Depot start ~$120. Most salient feature of the Lowes model, I think, is a laser light that I suppose shows where the drill will hit. (how can they do that?). Cheaper is better if it works, but accuracy counts for a lot!

And thanks for the advice about 'how to'. I'm 'googling' and reading about drilling metal....

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:56 pm

If you go for a drill press, consider how you will construct your jig to hold the piece you are working on and rotate, in steps, for example, to index to the next location for a hole. At the minimum, you will need to hold the piece securely.

If you go for punches, I think there are people here that have used punches with advice about how to use hole punches with good results. I think they are used with a press. I have seen table top presses: turn big wheel, weight moves slowly. I have seen the manual press replaced by an automated press, or, at least a power press, and so, the manual press gets to be "you haul it - it's yours". If you live near an industrial section, ask around. The table top manual press is not so big and heavy.

Am I wrong about that? I have the flu, I guess, so I feel really stupid. I am struggling to be smart.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Paul B wrote:Savor what has actually been done, yet don't lose track of greater goals -

In fact, I have put together a really good, small and efficient pellet burner/stove, that will work fine at a star party, and is also compact and lite enough for day hikes and maybe a sneaky overnite (about as long and far as I'm ever likely to get from basecamp/trailhead any more).

So, I started from the Everything Nice directions on Worldstove, and tinkered a bit (or a lot!) till it does what I want. Had to make bigger air holes, and put sheet metal screws under the fuel can to get it's bottom off the deck so it can breathe from the bottom, etc. Now it looks like a miniature BushBuddy, sorta, and it's just DA BOMB with wood pellets, but small, light, and very clean, That's a success, and so I've accomplished something useful. Still, I can make it better (Cleaner holes, a less kludgy way of suspending the fire basket, etc.) and it will be more portable, more flexible, probably last longer, too.

I think I'm gonna spring for a drill press! Now, Harbor Freight seems to have one for $70, and Lowes/ Home Depot start ~$120. Most salient feature of the Lowes model, I think, is a laser light that I suppose shows where the drill will hit. (how can they do that?). Cheaper is better if it works, but accuracy counts for a lot!

And thanks for the advice about 'how to'. I'm 'googling' and reading about drilling metal....

tip on drills the smaller the drill the faster speed bigger the drill the slower the speed
Man play with fire man get burnt

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:21 pm

tip on drills the smaller the drill the faster speed - bigger the drill the slower the speed

Yes and yes. :D

The stainless steel you select to cut makes all the difference, as well. One stainless steel container may be a joy to cut, another, well, you get the idea.

The drill bit cutting edge angle is critical - meaning "sharpness". Learn to "sharpen" drill bits on a grinder wheel.

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”