Group Volcano Stove Build

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Group Volcano Stove Build

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 pm

I messed up on the editing of my video clips. :oops: You'll get the basic idea of how the 1st test went :D

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Anybody notice something of interest in the video?

Was there a double wall for heating incoming air for secondary burn ?

Did anyone see the jets of woodgas burning?

Notice any smoke?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Have to love burning wood and about smokeless at that :D I think you have made a stove or two before this one :lol: I may have to use a paint can as the #10 can is being elusive :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:12 pm

I have gotten a little spoiled by the "like" function in facebook. I watched your volcano stove vid and I went to click like but.....

I didnt see much smoke at all. I havent seen a rocket stove lit "top style" like that either. I want to make something for the group build but havent been able to get the ideas into the metal yet. :P

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:31 am

After a while of buiding a few stoves we begin to see certain things happening. Those little differences when more or less holes are added. When loads of twigs are lit from the top versus bottom. I have lit from the bottom and acheived fairly smokeless burns when the center of the load was infused with oxygen. The column radiated the heat outward for a cleaner burn.

My first test was lit with the help of weber charcoal lighting cube cut into small pieces. Some of those small pieces fell to the base of the wood pile and laid there till some burning pieces fell and ignited them along with the base of the virticle standing(very dry) twigs. So we got a situation going where the bottom and the top was igniting almost at the same time. We wound up with a massive amount of heat surrounding the fuel and causing it to gassify in a radical fashion. Radical meant "smoke" lots of combustables going up into the air without igniting. Along with the heat, air movement was radical also. Rising heat caused the surrounding air to move fast and then faster, like blowing out the flames ;) The pot was holding back air movement so I removed the pot and in a second or two the stove was on fire again. All three elements were back into play in proper proportions. whooomph!!!! the rising clouds of smoke ignite. Because of the massive amount of air inlets inside the stove and outside also. Notice the intentional air vent ring around the feed tube. Air enters the space between the walls heats up(lots of folks like that ;) ) and enters the holes at the base and top of the inner can.

I did a second test burn last night and all went much better. I used my favorite tinder starter, telephone book paper. There was a slight breeze outside and gave the start-up a challenge. The paper did it's protective thing, the ignition went well and so did the entire burn,......no smoke. I didn't try to boil water. I'm interested in how well the stove burns. The inside can is a bit smaller in diameter that a 1 quart size paint can and a tad taller. Taking that into consideration we know that one load of wood will boil one gallon of water. That was accomplished with other stove designs using the paint can.

I'm playing with the basic size can that we see used in many, many internet videos. I'm applying stuff learned from tinkering with wood burners and what I learned from the Canadian stove manufacturer in regards to top lighting wood burning stoves for home use. I credit them with the top light technique.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

I didn't see smoke (edited?) or jets of secondary burning of woodgaz, just jets of flame of wood burning. Of course, I never see secondary burning of woodgaz in any small wood stove. It just isn't happening. The wood is burning, or not, that's all.

Either complete combustion or incomplete combustion. Either there is a fine ash at the bottem or chunks are left over. That's what I want to know. Was it fine ash or chunks left over?

(If fine ash, the wood stove is efficient for the wood available.)

(If the heat is useful heat, or, the heat simply goes out the chimney, it is efficient or inefficient.)

(If it is a cooking fire, the heat is sufficient for the cooking vessel or the heat dissipates to the surrounding air.)

I see the outer wall isn't discolored. Does the outer wall stay cool enough to the touch, so the ground isn't scorched or your hand burned? Is there air between the outer wall and the fire chamber? Is it packed with vermiculite, kitty litter, or what?

I read that article from the Canadian house-size wood stove manufacturer. They don't describe the method you came up with for stacking the wood in a small volume backpacking wood stove. I credit you with that TLUD method for small backpacking wood stoves.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 pm

:D I was wondering what kind of paper that was. I was bored here at the office the other day so I unscrewed slogged down my last bit of coffee and went outside for a burn.
However, it seemed that printer paper really didnt like to burn well. I actually had to light it from underneath and then place my starter twigs on top of that.
Do you mix the paper in with your small pieces of wood above your main fuel?

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Do you mix the paper in with your small pieces of wood above your main fuel?
No, it just lays on top. I compress it to have it stay as close to the tinder sticks as possible. "close is good" transferes heat to tinder evenly. We need to get the entire surface hot for a good start up. Plan your ignition to be lit all over the surface, not just in the center or one edge. The paper is rolled to slow down it's rate of burn. I tie it into a knot some times to slow it down and have it remain close to the tinder sticks. I've only had one non ignition attempt at starting one of my stoves. :oops:

simplepeddler

Post by simplepeddler » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 pm

WOW I learn a lot from you guys......
One tip for the cans is run by the lunch room at the local school......they throw dozens of number 10's away everyday.

the inner cans are much tougher to come by.

Zeplh, when we use the Vermiculite, we tape up the around the feed can and #10 as well as the inner cans. If not the vermiculite will fall through.
May got to Perlite to avoid that.

Or just make with no insulation......??

My son was asked this weekend to build some of these for a church to hand out to the homeless in downtown Baton Rouge.
Since Katrina our homeless numbers have grown steadily and a church hands out 300+ meals a month down there.

an easier and perhaps more effecient stove could help.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:54 pm

One tip for the cans is run by the lunch room at the local school......they throw dozens of number 10's away everyday.
Wow!!!! that is probably the most excellent place to accuire cans. Thanks for your insight into the material sources.

My inner can came from a former Kroger food. Canned green beans on sale $1.31 per can.

My intentions are to have an uninsulated stove with inner air holes top and bottom of the center can. air will enter around the feed tube/can.

I had a one on one talk with a homeless person a few years ago in Chicago. He said lots of his homeless friends woul use Ramen noodles as part of their main food stuffs. They used ziplock type bowls to carry their utensils and things. No stoves for heating water. :o :o :o :roll: They would get hot water from Mcdonalds restaurants or similar fast food joints. They just went to the counter and asked for a fill up of their bowl. Took it outside and had a picnic :mrgreen: This particular guy slept between garbage dumpsters on church owned property that had fences completely around the dumpsters but not locked.

If the homeless had a stove like this one they would gather for large "group dinners" :D
an easier and perhaps more effecient stove could help.
Solid fuel stoves would be good for the homeless. Esbit type. Get the U.S military to unload all their obsolete fuel tabs at some church site that feed the homeless. Teach them the esbit method of cooking. Teach them to fish and they'll feed themselves. :geek: