zelph folding wood stove for backpacking

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
ConnieD

zelph folding wood stove for backpacking

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:36 am

Today, I was looking at YouTube folding wood stoves.

One was 116 swiss francs or about $124 USD. In my opinion, you folding wood stove is much better, at $45 USD.

zelph, Why don't you post your folding backpacking stove as a "video response" to the other models available?

I think "video response" is a good idea for a number of your stoves.

In this instance, you could post the size, weight, showing the TLUD-method and twiggy-fire method.

I like seeing it folded with the companion stove as well, with something for size reference would be better.

You could show both types: available with the clip and without the clip.

I think all that could fit in a 15-minute video.

Here is my photo of the zelph "Woodgaz folding backpacking stove" and "Companion Burner".

zelph

Re: zelph folding wood stove for backpacking

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Very nice photo. Black background and shiny stainless go well together. :D

Stove making is my hobby. I'm retired and don't depend on sales like minibull design.

Countless individuals are making and selling stoves these days. Smokeeater is becoming popular, as are others. good to see them competing with tinny. They

make fine quality remote fueled stoves. They go way out to advertise and are in the right places at the right time. I wish them well. They also make wick style

stoves. Competition is growing. That was expected.

I'm not big on advertising. I've gotten way over my head in sales and can't keep up with production. :oops:

My stove store came at a time when people were telling me I need to get a store website. I was content with selling via bplite and anouncements in forums.

Had to comply with folks wanting to purchase a stove or two. ;)

I have shared a lot of stove making ideas over the years. Those ideas have gone global and not many know where the wicketized stoves come from. Skidsteer

came up with the idea of using carbon felt/plumbers cloth. He and I were designing stoves left and right when we frequented whiteblaze.net. I introduced

fiberglass cloth and exhaust wrap as wick material.

Back on topic.

I don't think I'll be making more folding woodstoves in the near future. The competition out there is fierce. Lots of folks making laser cut flat 5 piece stoves

and they flood the market.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm

...retired, huh?

If you think you start to get "old and feeble" license your stoves out to an eager young "stovie".

I know, from experience, your stoves are better than most "out there".

For a fact, I know of no better alcohol stoves than my zelph alcohol stoves.

I like my zelph Woodgaz folding wood stove better than my MK1-UL for convenience. (Don't tell anyone. Okay?)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks Connie.

I'm giving my son a shot at making stoves for me. He's the one making and selling the StarLyte. He does a much better job at welding the pot suport and forming it. I had my grandson participating also this past week. He was helping with the 200+ Venom Super Stoves. I gave him the oportunity to insert the exhaust wrap into the stove and get all parts together and box them up. I picked up 100 completed stoves today.

One thing about the folding woodgaz is it does not collect or produce a lot of soot, the kind of black stuff that gets all over your hands when handling the multi piece stoves. There is a lot less square inches of "surface" to collect it, there for less on your hands and stuff sack.

The stoves like the MK-1 that are 5 separate flat pieces of metal that collect a massive amount of soot. The ash that collects on the inside walls comes off on your hands when disassembling the stove. You need gloves to prevent your hands from getting grossly covered with it. Not so with the folding stove made with 1/2" SS hardware cloth.

Those of you that have the Woodgaz should try and use it a lot this coming season. Watch the video that comes with it. Do the vertical stack and top light. Practice that and you'll find yourself using more wood than alcohol to heat water and cook.

When I go out solo I use the small original round Woodgaz. I usually pack it fuell of fuel in the evening when I'm just sitting around enjoying the sound of the night, the glowing embers in my campfire and watching the comercial jetliners going overhead. :mrgreen: Hard to get away from those noisy things. :roll:
!st thing in the AM I put a match to it and put the pot on. Easier than rolling out of the sack :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 pm

WhoooWheeee!!!!

I ordered more welded stainless steel wire cloth to make another batch of these stoves.

I'll also make the original round one for use with the Kelly Kettles.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:48 am

I'm working on a batch of these. Have patience...my part time help did not show up for work today. I had to put some of my time into them :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:25 am

Was that before or after you mowed the palatial estate? :P :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:16 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Was that before or after you mowed the palatial estate? :P :lol:

:lol: I did a lot of mowing there on Sat. for sure!!!

My daughter began an attempt to mow our 4.5 acres of grass yesterday :shock: She's about 3/4 finished and will attempt the last of it today. That's a lot with just a 40" deck on the mower. I usually have a friend cut and bail it. He no longer will do that now that he wants to be "really" retired :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 am

That IS a lot to mow not to mention all the weedeating :roll: I only mow about 3 of our 9.5 acres and it is a chore. I recently acquired a 46" cut rider from stumpjumper and it still takes a few hours. I am way behind and still have not done any trim mowing :roll: The better half has not said a word about it as she has had me busy doing her honeydo projects. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:55 pm

You and I need to fence our properties and let some horses come in keep the grass down. I like easy!!! :mrgreen:

By the end of june I'll be sick of mowing :lol: I told my daughter my firld only needs to be cut 2 times a year according to county ordinance.

When my daughter finishes it will look nice. :D Usually when it's cut and bailled it looks kinda half done. ;)

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”