Anyone use an ash vacuum?

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Anyone use an ash vacuum?

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Friend of mine did something similar. Took the bag of ashes and put it into a metal garbage can in the garage. The lid was off the can. The next day the garage caught on fire, burned one complete wall :o Not nice!!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 pm

i have to clean my stove about ever 3 weeks hot coals and all put in small trash can with lid put up handle put brick under handle to hold cover on so if tip over no can get out sits out side till next time then just empty all over the lawn. That sits there hot for 3 days i guess i could boil water on it :lol: :lol:
Attachments
transh can 1.JPG
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 pm

I use a small vacuum..then pull the bag and let it sit outside for a couple days..a long ways from anything flammable.It's sitting in the middle of the driveway.people walking by must think we have a really big dog or clean up his messes about once a year.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:04 am

Oops, wrap some potatos in aluminum foil and bake in your newly discovered outdoor oven. 8-)

Rg, your too funny :mrgreen:

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I have had one from Plow and Hearth ( I think) for close to fifteen years.........I really appreciate having it during our winters, even with them being mild and short.
I have a wood stove in the house (imagine that) and it has the catalytic converter. It burns wood down the almost a powder, so this thing helps reduce the mess.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:35 pm

What kind of filter/s does it have. Most vacs that I have puchased give a warning not to use on drywall dust. Seems ash might be corrosive/clogging also.

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Not sure really, some type of cloth.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 pm

It has worked for you for many years and all is well. I might just try to use mine also along with the ash shovel. When i clean my stove I usually move the shovel very very slowly from stove to bucket. Lots of fine /small stuff stays in the stove.

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm

I guess I am lucky, my wood stove had a small hatch in the bottom that goes to a metal drawer that collects the ashes. I only empty it two or three times a winter. I do use my shop vac with a high quality filter (HEPA Filter) once a year after I clean the stove pipe and then clean out the shelf and the stove and area around it. I have not had a problem with dust from the vac when I do that. I think it's all about the filter with the vac.

I would not recommend using a "normal" vac or even a shop vac with hot ashes though. They should sit for a week or so before they get vaced up.

Wolfman

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:36 pm

You're right, wolfman. Embers can glow for days under certain circumstances.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”