Wood gas stove video - Might be old news

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
JollyRogers

Re: Wood gas stove video - Might be old news

Post by JollyRogers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 am

zelph wrote:Videos are important, without interuptions are the best. From Start to finish. We like to see how things are made. How wood is tacked and how it performs when lit. Is there lots of smoke, does it go out shortly after lighting. Does the stove go out when trying to ad twigs to keep it going? lots of things happen when using wood. Smoke gets in your eyes. :roll: :(

Lots of folks say they use rubber tubes to blow on their little stoves to help them catch on fire.

When you see nice blue flames that means all the nasty stuff has been consumed and the nice friendly stuff is igniting. Usuall those flames are easy blown out.

slow burning top lit stoves that have small pieces of twigs for fuel can create those nice blue flames and they go out easy . The Garlinton stove was that way when I experimented with it. A real pain in the neck to keep lit.

It's easy to get flames at the top holes if the holes are 3/8" or 1/2" dia. I'll see if I can dig up some old videos to show the effect.
I have yet to see any wood burning stoves that burn with a blue flame. A blue flame is an indicator of complete combustion. I wouldn't think that to be an attainable outcome when burning twigs, or just about any solid fuel. If you have ash you don't have complete combustion. If you have smoke, you don't have complete combustion. If you have soot, you don't have complete combustion. This has been mentioned a few times here lately. Can someone educate me or point me to some video of this?

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 am

I can't find a video that deals with complete wood combustion.

As a user of the stove, I am not as worried about complete combustion. For the builders/designers/tinkerers, it's a good goal but I doubt that it matters much when you switch to burning twigs.

For me at least, the idea of a compact wood burner is unlimited fuel. I don't have to worry over how much alcohol I have left. What I give up for that is a clean burn. With the wood stove, I can have a small controlled fire just about anywhere. Sitting there, feeding small twigs to the fire (cooking or not) is relaxing to me. Not having to fiddle with multiple parts is a big plus.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:21 am

I agree with you Sudden. Unlimited free fuel that is laying around for the picking is the appeal for me too.

Will it boil water quickly? yes
Is it easy to load? yes
Is it easy to operate? oh hell yes!
Is fuel readily available? usually
lightweight? 1.8 oz to 4 oz is lightweight to me. (my stoves) 5oz for quart paint can/progresso can stove
can you make one at home? yes
what color flame does it have? uh, yellow. is that bad?

Sounds like an easy home project worth doing. :geek:

IMO smoke usually has to do with one of the following: lack of good airflow, wet wood, type of wood.
I thought complete combustion meant that at the end of your burn there are no solids at all left but just a very fine white ash. I admit that the science of the flames is over my head, but somehow I still have a lot of fun with it. :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 am

JollyRogers wrote:
zelph wrote: I have yet to see any wood burning stoves that burn with a blue flame. A blue flame is an indicator of complete combustion. I wouldn't think that to be an attainable outcome when burning twigs, or just about any solid fuel. If you have ash you don't have complete combustion. If you have smoke, you don't have complete combustion. If you have soot, you don't have complete combustion. This has been mentioned a few times here lately. Can someone educate me or point me to some video of this?
Watch this video of the garlington stove that I made. It burned clean on my very first attempt. Everything was right for a nice clean burn. I had observed blue flames during the burn. They don't show up in the vid though. :roll:

My next three or four attempts to get the stove to boil water were failures. Very hard to maintain a fire. Wood compaction has to be perfect.

Notice how few holes in the bottom. Stove is slow burning due to low oxygen.

Video was made with my camera in 20 second increments. I later got a video recorder "flip"

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... dstove.mp4
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Ok, that clarifies it for me. I have seen the "blue flame" you are referring to. I was meaning a flame that was almost entirely blue, similar to an alcohol stove. I think of an alcohol stove as a blue flame because it is almost entirely blue, with an occasional sliver of yellow. I would consider a yellow flame with a small sliver of blue to still be a yellow flame.
I have seen the blue flame just about any time I have burned wood. As gases in the wood expand from the heat and are released from the wood they ignite and burn with a blue flame. I never really considered this to be an indicator of how efficient anything burned as it is usually just small pockets of gas or sap igniting.

jw934

Post by jw934 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 am

I made several small tin can wood stoves that burns blue flame and the flame does not usually go out even with wind or rain. The latest version is on YouTube and I call it the "peanut woodgas Magic Stove". Here is a link http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... agic+stove . Click on the video that is 0:37 seconds long first.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:50 pm

jw934 wrote:I made several small tin can wood stoves that burns blue flame and the flame does not usually go out even with wind or rain. The latest version is on YouTube and I call it the "peanut woodgas Magic Stove". Here is a link http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... agic+stove . Click on the video that is 0:37 seconds long first.
Thank you for stopping by and giving us an opportunity to view your stove creation.

Your stove burns a little sooty at the end because it starts to get more oxygen through the bottom holes and that allows for a hotter/dirtier burn.

Do you have plans to make modifications to it, like consolidate it into a one piece stove?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/