Wood gas stove video - Might be old news

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
sudden

Wood gas stove video - Might be old news

Post by sudden » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 am

I found these two videos today showing the micro mini wood gas stove. Have you guys reviewed or used this one before. It looks simple to make and seems to work well. It looks to be the double walled type zelph has been comparing to single walled.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Re: Wood gas stove video - Might be old news

Post by ConnieD » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:23 am

1. I like his forthright presentation. If you like to DIY/MYOG you can do so.

The flame pattern at the last shot looks good.

I don't see anything about the leftover wood, at the end, or if it burns the wood to a fine ash.

2. How do we know these things are efficient for consuming all the BTU's that can be achieved?

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:28 pm

ConnieD wrote:1. I like his forthright presentation. If you like to DIY/MYOG you can do so.

The flame pattern at the last shot looks good.

I don't see anything about the leftover wood, at the end, or if it burns the wood to a fine ash.

2. How do we know these things are efficient for consuming all the BTU's that can be achieved?
If only ash is remaining then the stove has furnished enough oxgen to release all the btu's in the wood. Harnessing those btu's is a challenge.

The "Beaner" stove has charcoal remaining. An indication of non efficiency. The manufacture of that stove says to bury the charcoal for it to be "carbon negative" :?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:50 pm

zelph, Harnessing those btu's is a challenge.
The Trekker Kettle?

The video of your Kelly Kettle modified with a "choke" seemed to keep the flame where it would apply to the inner wall, rather than just go up and out. The small round woodgaz stove you made for it also seemed to direct the fire.

Would you say it used the BTU's well?

I don't recall: did it also burn to a fine ash?

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 am

I watched these videos years ago and built a few of just about every size based on his ideas. They all worked great! Even the tiny ones. Gunsfortoys, NCHIKER, and Hiram Cook started me on my Woodstove journey.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:32 pm

cadyak wrote:I watched these videos years ago and built a few of just about every size based on his ideas. They all worked great! Even the tiny ones. Gunsfortoys, NCHIKER, and Hiram Cook started me on my Woodstove journey.
I just watched his video again and something is not right with the way the jets are burning. :D Most viewers would think what we are seeing is the "norm" for the way the gas jets look.

Here is a quote from his "description"
The Micro Mini Wood Gas Stove is made from recycled tin cans. The outer can is a 15oz Ranch Style Beans can and the inter can is a 6oz Texsun Pink Grapefruit Juice can. The wood used is Hickory, and it was very dry and chipped in to small pieces about 1 inch long by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. Approximately 2 teaspoons of charcoal lighter fluid was used to get the stove started. This type of stove uses the inverted downdraft gasifier principle.
Notice he says he used 2 teaspoons of chacoal ighter to get it started. Those two teaspoons must be at the bottom of the stove and the vapor is rising up the double wall and coming out the holes and igniting. Notice how full the jets look, complete round circles of flame. Notice there is nothing burning in the fire box area. You can look down ito the fire box and see something burning what looks like under the pile of twigs/fuel. The dense pile is causing the vapors to be forced into the double wall...........Just my opinion.

Watch the video again. Also keep in mind how most stove makers piece together their videos. They show only the best looking parts.

Notice also he says:
This type of stove uses the inverted downdraft gasifier principle.
He is one of thousands who read that somewhere on the net and pass it on as if he knows what he's talking about. :roll:

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:44 pm

I never looked at the flames that closely back then and didnt know what I was looking at anyway. I was looking at the construction techniques. :geek:

updraft? downdraft? The nomenclature could use some standardization for sure.
But "thems the buzzwords" arent they! :D

Eons ago in boyscout camps the older guys would send the younger ones to other camps to ask if we could borrow a "left-handed smoke turner"
It took me at least two different trips around the whole camp before I figured it out. :?

I was able to get the nice full flames at the rim holes with double walled stoves. However I get them also with single walled stoves.
Its hard to see and is affected by any wind that might be blowing. note in this video there is very little fuel left in the box.
Could the high heat from the mostly coals ignite when new air is introduced at the top holes?

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:03 pm

This is why video is important.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Videos are important, without interuptions are the best. From Start to finish. We like to see how things are made. How wood is tacked and how it performs when lit. Is there lots of smoke, does it go out shortly after lighting. Does the stove go out when trying to ad twigs to keep it going? lots of things happen when using wood. Smoke gets in your eyes. :roll: :(

Lots of folks say they use rubber tubes to blow on their little stoves to help them catch on fire.

When you see nice blue flames that means all the nasty stuff has been consumed and the nice friendly stuff is igniting. Usuall those flames are easy blown out.

slow burning top lit stoves that have small pieces of twigs for fuel can create those nice blue flames and they go out easy . The Garlinton stove was that way when I experimented with it. A real pain in the neck to keep lit.

It's easy to get flames at the top holes if the holes are 3/8" or 1/2" dia. I'll see if I can dig up some old videos to show the effect.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 pm

I saw a YouTube video, he used a short length copper tubing in the end of clear surgical tubing to keep his fire lit. He used it, as needed.

Interesting idea.