Makings for a new Stove

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
Paul B

Re: Makings for a new Stove

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 am

4 big holes = less resistance, more air flows into holes, more the focus of flames.

Lots of small holes = lots of resistance, therefore air goes up and over the top rim of stove instead of through holes, less focus.

Thanks for that. I will be continuing my simple pellet burner designs and experiments - for sure the big air holes seem best. But I am also fascinated by the small jets/radial pattern approach. If that can actually work pretty good, it won't be a minimalist sorta stove! Something one or two orders of magnitude more complex, using 3 or 4 cans, does interest me. Though simple is better seems to often turn out to be best, whatever the scope of the project.

I know this isn't exactly revelatory :mrgreen: but I'm getting a lot of use out of this pellet burner/stove:

ImageImage

ImageImage

The outer can is left over from my first Everything Nice attempt. The inner can used to just sit under the outer, with three screws to lift up the bottom for ventilation; last week I looked at these 'left-over' parts, and decided to compression fit the inside into the outside, if only for the tinsmithy practice. It doesn't need to be set on any 'riser'-like thingee, because the inner can hangs in the outer, off the deck. I think the radial flame pattern benefits from the double wall construction: I'm dubious about the 'heating the secondary air' notion, but the outer wall does isolate the inner jets from outside wind. There is a nice flame cap, it is possible to add a bit more pellet fuel to extend the burn, without putting the fire out, which is sometimes nice. it's about the right size to 'light and forget' for cooking rice, or a small artichoke, or other things, which is convenient. At flame-out, there's a bit of smoke for several seconds, but it does transition to glowing charcoal fairly well, doesn't become an irritating smoke bomb. Not so good as the 'engine' in the charcoal lighter 'stove', though, it sort of runs away. Fun, useful, not any sort of convincing evidence of the superiority of double wall stoves.

Today I visited a sporting goods store, was pleased and surprised to find this:

Though I'm mostly interested in pellet burners lately (BTW, Zelph, I sure like the mini-charcoal lighter stove of yours, with the central ventilation !) I've been wanting a light weight but decent quality pruner for some time - I recon this is it! Has a ratchet mechanism, Gerber should be pretty good quality, and I only paid $15.

I've pretty much not been using my Trekstov(s) or BB, cuz it's easy to make tin can pellet burners that do better - not to say they're better stoves. But I will be camping where there is , what to call it, Wild Forest.?. and I suspect that while there can be single wall stoves that will do good with both pellets and twigs, there can be pellet burners that just aren't big enough or vented right for wood...
or something....

Well, I know this is still pretty wordy, a bit thin on serious information; honestly, this post and maybe a couple more are sort of practice for getting used to photobucket- and I'm aware I have not tried some tricks that I've been told about. Still getting my sea legs, the information quality-density will improve soon. Sure feels good to show some pictures. Hey, I hope it's not as frustrating and time consuming when/if I start doing videos.

Part of the frustration has been, the otherwise pretty wonderful Imac doesn't 'bluetooth' very reliably (to be diplomatic about it! :x ) with the Rumor2 cell phone I have. So I got a micro-sd, which does work; it would sure be easier if Bluetooth would function as it should. Not sure if the problem is the computer or the cell phone...

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 am

The Gerber pruner is nice, ratchet is "power" :)

1 quart paint cans are nice size for our needs. The lid lip makes for a nice place to put pot supports. I recall the pint size can fits nice inside to make it into a double wall. Use a can opener to cut the lid lip off the pint can.

I rearranged 2 of you photos to make them side by side :o

The Bushbuddy is short on capacity. I like loading one time and boil 4 cups of water in one sitting. The BB can't do that.

Single wall quart size cans have power. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm

zelph, I rearranged 2 of you photos to make them side by side

Does it take an "admin" to do that, or, can I do that?

I really like the pruners. Thank you, for sharing that information.

I am still "on the fence" about the stove. I want to see how that all works out.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:47 pm

I am still "on the fence" about the stove. I want to see how that all works out.

:P No problem there. I'm not sure what 'the stove' is, or is going to be. Here's where I'm at: this is a research project about pellet burners to go inside the (this particular) charcoal lighter. Easily made up as a modular system - the burner that has the power and fuel capacity for the job at hand, variable inside components to provide the air capacity, and/or wind protection for the moment, possible to have a teapot nestled below the rim, on a cross grate, etc.

The studies on single can pellet burners will generalize to a stand-alone burner/stove, I expect.

Anyhow, I don't have time right this moment, but next 'session' in daylight, I'll take pics of 2 or 3 'models' of the charcoal lighter assembly, and report more on how the various burners fit ito the program. Closest approach to a "BPL" stove will be a single, small burner in a 'stand-alone' configuration.

At one point, not long ago, the goal was to make a burner+potstand all out of one can. Last night I noticed that a can I put together ~ 2 weeks ago does that!

Zelph, I'll spend a bit of time and learn that side-by-side technique. Sure tells the story better....

Ya know, the original, larger, heavier Trekstov has more capacity - I bet it will boil significantly more water in one go than the current BB. Later this spring, I'll turn my attention to single wall twig burners. which may amount to basically copying one of your stoves. :roll:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Gerber should be pretty good quality, and I only paid $15.

Gerber's are made in China. WalMart carries a whole line of Gerber products in their gardening area. Some of it looks pretty cheap but for the price, they will serve their purpose for awhile. Their multi-tools are pretty nice, I'm not so sure about the hatchets they make. I would bet the plastic handles don't last long where they wrap around the steel ax head. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Couple of Youtube vids:
Wood gasifier backpacking stove clean burn attachment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ6zVKBnjOs

Um, isn't the 'clean burn attachment' a gas wick? Whatever it is, I just roughed out a couple of gas wicks for pellet burners I've been using. Pics to follow.... looks like this will get a lot closer to the performance I'm looking for with pellets. So far, seems to eliminate or at least dramatically reduce the smoke at flame-out, and generally produces a much more blue flame. Thought these two were either/or.

http://sectionhiker.com/a-batch-loaded- ... ve-sailer/

Before we critique the 'inverted down-draft' part, remember, an inverted down draft is an up draft....

I broke down and ordered a Stovetec 2 door. But I wanna use pellets in it, at least, at home. This gas wick looks like the ticket: insert a can with appropriate holes, and a gas wick.

See, even knowing that pictures will follow makes for less words. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:03 am

The first video makes me chuckle.

Watch the video beginning at the 2:00 mark. all is burning well. At 2:20 when the pot is put on the flame goes out. That is typical of the so called gassifiers that I have played with.. The are too finicky for my comfort zone :o :D

gassifiers are "curiosity" stoves. Never will be good to take as a stove for a section or through hike. They are good to satisfy our curiosity.

"Flame Lift-Off" have you experienced a lot of that Paul?

gassifiers are "curiosity" stoves.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:07 am

zelph wrote:The first video makes me chuckle.

Watch the video beginning at the 2:00 mark. all is burning well. At 2:20 when the pot is put on the flame goes out. That is typical of the so called gassifiers that I have played with.. The are too finicky for my comfort zone :o :D

gassifiers are "curiosity" stoves. Never will be good to take as a stove for a section or through hike. They are good to satisfy our curiosity.

"Flame Lift-Off" have you experienced a lot of that Paul?
i made one mine works great just need little more wood as it dies down but will boil 2 cups water

gassifiers are "curiosity" stoves.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:10 am

.... it seemed like a good idea at the time.... :roll:

I'll study on this a little more, just to see and experience. And, my purpose is not primarily a BPL type stove.

This whole thing must be similar to telescopes: "Large aperture, high quality, low price: Pick two".

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Paul.....the more you burn, the more we learn 8-)

You're close to the ultimate "Paul" wood burner/gassifier. :D

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”