Makings for a new Stove

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
Ridgerunner

Re: Makings for a new Stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 pm

I bet RG's wife fixes him fishhead soup and he eats the cheeks, lips, forehead, AND the eyeballs! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 pm

and the gills and eyelashes :DB:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 am

LOL...........

There is a pocket of flesh about the size of your fist right under that armour plate you are talking about.
It's really shameful how many guys throw that away, or even clean the tuna appropriately.
I am not a proud man, I have gotten literally pounds of Tuna of carcasses after the guy that cleaned them walked away.
This does not make the Tuna gods happy and you will have light catches for eternity. (or a long time)

The asian market fishermen even take what we leave behind.
They cook the bones and all.

Zelph the Eagle is in route.
Tracking number UPS 1Z6W043A0146955554

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:57 am

:DB:

The Eagle has arrived :D

10:15 this morning Dry ice works wonders. UPS has their terminal 5 min. from my place, they do me good ;)

1 package is thawing for today's feast...............Thanks to your generosity we will eat well tonight. I love fish :hungry: :DBfire:

The other package is for Sunday.........eggs in the morning, fish in the afternoon. I should have some Slap Ya Mama by Saturday. :D

Interesting info on the cheeks. I'll have to catch me a couple big carp and eat their cheeks :D

I'll have to google gill plate cheeks ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Actually..the Hawaiian/Chinese make soup out of the aku and ahi (tuna)heads..worst smell you can think of cooking on the stove :roll: ..That's one of the few things forbidden in this house when I'm here.The smell lingers for days. :evil: .and yes,THEY(not me) fight over the eyeballs...
I like eating fish and seafood...octopus,shrimp,clams(any kind),oysters,mussels,opihi(hawaiian limpets),top snail,sea cucumbers,sashimi or sushi of any kind..Aku head soup?..NOPE! :evil:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 pm

realityguy wrote:Actually..the Hawaiian/Chinese make soup out of the aku and ahi (tuna)heads..worst smell you can think of cooking on the stove :roll: ..That's one of the few things forbidden in this house when I'm here.The smell lingers for days. :evil: .and yes,THEY(not me) fight over the eyeballs...
I like eating fish and seafood...octopus,shrimp,clams(any kind),oysters,mussels,opihi(hawaiian limpets),top snail,sea cucumbers,sashimi or sushi of any kind..Aku head soup?..NOPE! :evil:

Do they season it before or after cooking? Or no seasoning?

My parade got rained on and blew away :(

I got my new stove ready for its first test burn and it started to rain. That was not a deterent, I had a set-up to protect from the rain. The wind.......the wind was terrible and had to cancel my burn. :( I was thinking to use the hot coals to grill at least one fish filet. bummer, bummer, bummer!!!!! :evil:

This is what the stove looks like packed with vertical stacked wood and paper for starter. Even made a grille for it. The grille is from a crock pot bread maker.

fishbake 001.jpg

So I had to bake the fish filets in the kitchen oven. I seasoned the fish but didn't really need to. The fish tasted fantastic. :D There were 4 filets in the ziplok, I ate 3 :o all by my lonesome. My wife was not expected home for dinner so it was just me and the fish. I had a salad prepared but passed on that and just ate fish. I like fish!!!!! :D I'm eager to grille a filet with just salt and pepper so i can taste the fish. This species of fish is not fishy.

I seasoned with Light Italian salad dressing, Old Bay seasoning and garlic powder. I then sprinkled Italian bread crumbs on top. Baked at 400 for 1/2 hr. That worked for me :DB: :hungry:

Thank you very much "simplepeddler" Very nice of you to share your catch :D
Attachments
fishbake 002.jpg
fishbake 008.jpg
fishbake 007.jpg

simplepeddler

Postby simplepeddler » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 am

Happy to do it man!

looks like those where Bou cous good

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:00 pm

simplepeddler wrote:Happy to do it man!

looks like those where Bou cous good

For sure Boucoup bien, tre bien, merci beaucoup :D

This summer I sure would like to taste those tuna cheeks raw.

I fired up the stove today and it burned too hot. Need to plug at least 2 of the holes. Now it has some nice color to it. The stove as is makes for a great Iditerod stove :D I feel confident that one load of wood can boil 2 gallons of water.

More tests to follow. I think I'll shoot for grilled red fish for Saturday instead of Sunday. I think I mentioned I like fish and eggs ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Now the stove has got character :D and I ate the last fish for lunch, mightee fine tasting feesh!!!! :D
Attachments
fishbake 009.jpg
fishbake 011.jpg

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Before I left for vacation I grilled the remainder of my filets on my new found stove.
Attachments
fish on the half shell 005.jpg
fish on the half shell 004.jpg
fish on the half shell 003.jpg
fish on the half shell 002.jpg
fish on the half shell 001.jpg

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”