Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
Ridgerunner

Re: Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:49 am

I figures as long asthe air intake is half way up or higher, her will be times that it becomes a exit for smoke. ;) Also, the legs can be shortened 3 or 4 inches on the bottom portion to fit inside yor stove. :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I figures as long as the air intake is half way up or higher, her will be times that it becomes a exit for smoke. ;) Also, the legs can be shortened 3 or 4 inches on the bottom portion to fit inside your stove. :)

The incoming air was blowing out my woodgas flames. Vertical stacking makes the flames clean and they want to lift-off. a breeze blows them out because the inlet is right at flame/fuel level. :roll:

The design of the coleman table is such that it can be scaled down to fit your needs. As is it compacts down to a 2.5" square size by what ever the length is. Change the length and all will be well. We want a firm base for our stoves to set on.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I have two of the coleman table legs. They are not light. I think your other stand would be fine if you shorten the legs, jmo ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:58 pm

Can you cut the coleman legs down to the length of the stove and bolt them on so they fold?Somewhere I have a set of those also.

...BOLTS or threaded rod..removable for a more compact stove... ;) ..mine seem pretty solid..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:34 am

I have considered trying an interior "shelf" back to front, but not all the way to the front, much like larger wood stoves have for directing the air flow and for keeping the heat in the room.

The idea is for a horizontal stove design, long enough for a longer branches of more diameter than usually considered for a backpackable collapsible tent-stove. I have been thinking of using a thicker stainless steel foil to support the weight.

I also figured I could use a glass-cutter "circle cutter" to make a hole in the titanium end plate for the damper and for the stove pipe: titanium cuts easily, and I can get a precise size circle for a "press" fit.

zelph,

I like the collapsible sissor-design of the Coleman table legs. I also like the latch and large opening for loading in more wood.

Did you try using the intake and exhaust calculator, designed for wood burning smokers? It was mentioned elsewhere.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:05 am

Connie, I would think the circle cutter would work just fine for the titanium, good choice. I came to a conclusion yesterday that I need to burn quartered logs like Ray Mears was using in his stove. The small stuff I've been using wants to burn too fast and my flu has not been able to handle the exhausting. Today I'll use big stuf and top light as we learned from the Canadians. I relocated a new damper at the base of the stove as shown in the photo. Total square inches match the exhaust so we'll see how things go later today.

The Coleman table folds 1.5 inches square, I measured it yesterday. The dimensions could be changed and the whole thing made from scratch. I did not use the calculator for my new air damper. I did a quick fix with used parts salvaged from a bbq grille. I can refine later once I come up with a good working prototype. My thoughts yesterday led me to think I can purchase 3" steel wood stove pipe and cut it down to make 2".
Attachments
Francheskas' Baptism 025.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:44 am

zelph wrote: My thoughts yesterday led me to think I can purchase 3" steel wood stove pipe and cut it down to make 2".

Nice idea.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:08 am

That's what I'm talking about! I like your new air intake. ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:42 am

Yep..your air intake should work well,looks good.I thought about using sections of "snap together" 3" pipe,recut the diameter,rebend the male edge and make it into a 2" size..but the stuff doesn't snap apart well enough(especially in smaller diameters) and bending that stuff can be pretty tough when trying to get it together in the field at the smaller radius..why I bagged the idea.I do have enough of the 3" or 4" 24" long sections to redo that.Another problem was that my Harbor Freight "brake" will only do 12-15" long metal..not worth the headache of making up/buying a new brake at 18"-24($$$)... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:35 am

I wonder if he could just cut off the linking fold on one end of the sheet metal, roll it into itself (to 2") and just screw or rivet it together? That should give it a nice overlap and maybe stop it from leaking.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”