Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Zelph, How much fiberglass did it take to line the tin and did you use your stainless foil sheeting for the inside wall?
I used 3 lengths to cover the entire surface. I used 2" wide stainless steel band material that I use to make the Fancee Feest and Cobalt blue and the firebox of the Woodgaz. Thje bands cover the joints of the fiberglass cloth. I tacked the cloth to the walls with stove gasket cement. The banding insures that it stays there. The bands are welded at the ends. They are flexed in the middle so I could put them into the stove. Once in approximate position I release the flex and it springs outward to compress up against the seam that goes all the way around the inside.

Daren, we are all learning it's not so easy to make a stove out of found items. :D Anytime is a good time to make a stove :D The stove you made for your cabin, was it too big for the size of the area heated. Is it easy to over load the stove? I suspect a small stove like I'm building will be plenty big to heat a 2 person tent for hunting. What do you think?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Zelph, I think our stoves are good for 2-3 hrs. max so for the hunter there is several options; add more fuel every couple hours or get to sleep in a good mummy bag while the tent is warm. ;)

Daren, go ahead and make one of your creations. We enjoy your workmanship. did you notice, I borrowed your vent adjustment technique you used on the shoe polish stove for my air regulator on my tent stove. ;) Thanks for sharing! :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:32 am

Zelph, I think our stoves are good for 2-3 hrs. max so for the hunter there is several options; add more fuel every couple hours or get to sleep in a good mummy bag while the tent is warm. ;)

I agree, just big enough to get the chill off from a days hunt. Time to sit around under cover of a tent while the winds blowing outside. A nice little alcohol stove has been used to heat 4 cups of water for hot cocoa :D while chit chatting, I'll fill a veggie steamer basket with wood for the mornings warming. In the AM just reach in and take out the ash filled one and replace with the fresh ready to go one. The pulk has brought in all the comforts of home :D

I have a guy on ebay giving me a price on shipping two 3 foot pieces of stainless 2" pipe. I'll get 2 and then continue on with the stove. It's going to work just fine, just need more time ;)

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:47 am

So. For the final test. All of you need to do this, and post your video :)

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 am

So. For the final test. All of you need to do this, and post your video :)

He makes it look so easy :D Wish I had his energy :lol:

Once I get my flu pipe situated, I'm as good as go. Not really, got to get a tent, maybe tomorrow, going north to Madison WI where they have a really good thrift store. I'll be searching locally on craigs list. When snow flies I'll do a video. ;)

Thanks for the video, got me pumped to do the winter camp out. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 pm

I made a modification and it did not solve the problem. I'll try a 2" flu pipe tomorrow.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 pm

FWIW, I would pop rivit a piece of metal over your intake hole and move it below your door hinge. JMO ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Not enough room below unless he mounts it on the side...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:57 am

I'll put one below the hinge and see how it works along with the existing one. I purchased a flange and elbow yesterday and will use a heavy steel pipe for flu just to see if it drafts better.............it should :!:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 am

I think there is enough room plus he could cut off (horizotally) some of the hinge with a dremel cut-off wheel. ;)

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”