Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
realityguy

Re: Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I was thinking it might be nice to be able to stack the sheets together rather than having them rolled when "packed".That would make a nice compact package for a chimney.That's why I ended up just using downspout with prerolled/formed sections... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:38 pm

I gave thought to your idea RR about hinging to a hinge but opted for the quick fix. The hinge would need to be under spring tension to keep it closed when necessary. You know those little poofs might occur :mrgreen:

The 3" steel pipe could be cut into 12" lengths and then cut length wise. Self tapping screws could be used on the joint(suddens' idea. I'll use my welder that has a throat deep enough to get a weld 6" in from the ends. Stove pipe comes in 3' lengths. some 6" lengths can be put inside the stove for "pulk" transport.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Here is today's results of a burn test. Success, all went well using big chunks of wood and top lighting. I burned wood well into the evening hours so I could test the ability of the fiberglass to prevent the metal wall of the stove from getting red hot. It worked like a charm. :D

I have a stainless steel plate in front of the new air intake and a good size chunk of wood placed left to right in the front and the batch was top lit.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 pm

That is a HOT fire. that intake location made a big difference. Glad you guys are working out all the details. :D
Nice work

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Glad to help out. There is a leaning curve here for me. Those other guys go straight forward and complete theirs without a problem :roll:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey!I think your "inspector" and mine look like they are related..and both like stoves.. and probably tents.:lol:

Okay..now go for the boil time,cook some eggs, and check on the duration of the burn if you fill it up and damper it down.I think you'll have to leave the tent doors open(HOT!)..Looks like it burns well!You can throw some good size chunks in that one!

Dan..check your PM email..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:19 pm

The first stovepipe I liked for portability is the foil stovepipe, rolled into a tube, held to diameter with wire or cable loops.

I found either titanium foil or stainless steel used, the thickness of the foil specified elsewhere... I can't spend a lot of time online with 3G, but I think we have links in small wood stoves for "hunter's tents" here in Wood Burning Stoves.

Lookin' good.

How long is the "burn time"?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:25 am

Sucess! Nice burn Zelph. Missing one thing......a couple spuds wrapped in foil and tossed in the stove. ;) :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 am

Inspector Cat is my assistant ;)

Connie
foil pipes scare me :o Under the right conditions ...maybe!!!! A failure of the flue system could mean DISASTER.

RR, maybe the spuds later today when I get a hot bed of coals................lots of butter and sour cream is in the fridge waiting. :hungry:

I'll burn a couple more loads today just for the fun of it and to get the smell of hot paint to go away. Need to take a trip to the hardware store to get the 3" stove pipe. Maybe!!!! I'll busy the next few days making alcohol stoves to stock the shelves........time goes by so fast when you're having fun burning wood, my favorite. :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 am

Where was I reading about the guy using aluminum beer cans for "spud cookers" when he forgot tinfoil?Was that here? :?: Cut the tops off the cans,throw in the spuds,and chuck them in your stove..
Personally I think I would quarter them first,spread on some butter,garloc, and herbs on the cut side,place them back in the can like a whole potato..JoJos! :lol:
Or..cut the insides out,mix in some cubed meat(Johnsonville deli bites,roast beef,ham,or?),veggies,and the inside of the potato you cut out cut into small cubes back in the potato skin..add the butter,couple tablespoons of water,back in the can and cook..a whole meal! :mrgreen:

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”