Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
ConnieD

Re: Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Postby ConnieD » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:16 am

DarenN, you guys may have noticed a decided lack of tent stove posts from me.
anything i would have built would have been disqualified for use of tools, equipment, and processes unavailable to the average DIYer. i didn't even bother starting a stove. i have an idea for a small, round, S/S tent stove that i was going to build for the contest. but it will require a fair bit of tig welding; as well as some specialized forming equipment. i may still build it anyways.

I hope you do.

I like this vertical arrangement, loading the wood and lowering the stove, as well as, having a door for adding wood.

The solid sides stove design is a requisite, for this, but this TLUD is very innovative for the tent-stove idea.

I had stuck to the roll-up design concept, moving to the vertical stove with a damper.

I see ridgerunner has got the small diameter "stovepipe" working. Nice.

zelph, I did recover my pulk, my winter gear, and I am set for this season.

I wish I had a tent and tent-stove ready. That Ray Mears video looks so inviting.

I went "pricey" and heavy with a brass latch and brass round-hinges, no Dremel cut-off tool or more to proceed with my draft. I also got "stuck" on my interior shelf idea. I know what I want to do, but I did not find a slotted strip to slide in the "shelf" during assembly in the field.

I am still hoping for a collapsible stove, but these designs look backpackable in a plastic bear container.

For few entries, there are great ideas here.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 am

I also got "stuck" on my interior shelf idea. I know what I want to do, but I did not find a slotted strip to slide in the "shelf" during assembly in the field.

Would it work to space some steel pop rivets on a horizontal plane for your shelf to sit on?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:26 am

Daren..Nothing would be disqualified by me...Just another design and method of building to be considered.
I think most of the people here agree that the design itself is more important than "that anyone can build one".I see a lack of 'folding stoves" also,which increases "packability"..something your stove would probably do..and get high marks from me for that. ;)
Chimneys are a major issue..making,forming,materials,etc..and contribute as much the stove's weight,stability, and packability.I see the chimney as a major issue/problem for all.
Setting up the stove with a chimney flopping in the breeze does make it hard for all stove builders as far as making the doors and vents work easily..without toppling a lighter stove.I think we all agree on that factor.Having the chimney supported at the top makes a huge difference in the working of the stove.

Long time no see,Connie! ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:23 pm

zelph,

I have a pop rivet tool. I have a selection of stainless steel rivets, also.

The sheet metal business, in this town, is no more. I will try the hardware store.

realityguy,

Had cancer scare, had "workup" and no cancer.

Had progress on property, but not there yet.... have investigation underway by Regional Director, APS. I am a senior.

I like the roll-up chimneys. I would say, worth the money, and, support the top with the tipi/tent asbestos stove jack.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Would it work to space some steel pop rivets on a horizontal plane for your shelf to sit on?

or two rows..so you could slide the shelf in between to support it in a partially out position.What you need it for..baking cookies? :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 pm

good to see you up and about Connie and that you have started gathering materials and ideas for a stove. I had to do something different with the size of my flu pipe so I increased it's diameter to 2" Here are photos of the flange and elbow and also a length of aluminum pipe for testing the draft. Later today I hope to get in test burn. No change in air entry mechanism, want to see if the elbow size is what gave me the problems. Same size intake, larger discharge.

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:55 pm

A larger discharge will probably solve your problem at the cost of a heavier elbow and larger exhaust meaning more pack space usage. I was suggesting a cheaper and easier fix, if it would have worked. After seeing the second pic, I am guessing the stove stand will not fit in the stove when collapsed? Fire that puppy up and show us the results :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:10 pm

I fired it a batch that was horizontal loaded and top lit. All went went with ignition and burn. There was a small amount of puffing but I think it was due to being so breezy. After the batch burned and was a good stack of hot coals I put in another large hand full of fuel and let it rip. All went well.

Initially I was going to modify a vintage Coleman camp table as the support for the stove but later found the folding rack at the thrift store. Here is a brief video of the stove on the Coleman table:

I'll do more burn tests during the evening hours when the breeze goes away and it's nice and calm, hopefully.

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:33 pm

The table would have been too tall anyway. Better to have the heat source lower imo.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:01 pm

Sudden, I agree.

Another test tells me I need to lower the incoming air supply :roll: There is a nice learning curve going on here :D

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”