Stainless Steel Kelly Kettle

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Stainless Steel Kelly Kettle

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 pm

sudden wrote:zelph, have you ever seen the woodgaz stove jet? I have :). I was boiling some water for hot chocolate at night and watched the whole upper row of squares form little jets of fire. One of these days I'll catch it on film.

Not seen that yet. I have seen lots of jets caused by small holes in wood that emit wood gas and ignite into small jets. Sometimes they appear at the base row ans the fire progresses there. I have not yet had a failure to light using the method described in the instruction video. The phone book paper stores really flat for transport, ignites really easy and is dual purpose :D think Trail TP :o Better than leaves and Seattle Moss ;)

RG, I agree, that 1/2 pound of bacon was 99% fat....yuk One of the best tasing things in life is bacon fat fried eggs :DBfire: :hungry:

I just might do some eggs today on the Kelly Kettle.........for lunch :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Hmm..the more I look at the kettle..The more I think an exterior shell of stainless with the pot up the middle might be a good idea..say something closed around a steel bottle at the top but with holes around the rim for fire under a pot..and as also a pot stand..the bottle could easily be removed by lifting the pot and pulling it out.
With the setup you have..don't you have to totally disassemble everything to get water? :roll: I also would think that a bottle down the center might heat faster with fire on all sides rather than just having one side(inner) heated and the outer still exposed to the cold.
I know..it loses its "Kewl" factor...
I've always been looking at the cocktail shakers as a nice inner stainless option for water with a stainless decanter upside down around it..and appropriate holes and a side spout on the decanter for venting the inner water pot.Okay..guess I'll have to make one and have a "boil race" with your kettles. :lol: ..I guess I'm going to have to go shopping. Damn! :evil: :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Awww!!!! sorry for poor RG, has to go shopping :(

I am totally impressed with the Kelly Kettle and woodgaz set-up. The fuel stays centrally located and makes for easy cleanup. I just need to do a welded steel handle to make for an easy pickup when the water boils. A handle like Bfinnigan has on his kettle.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:53 pm

zelph wrote:

RG, I agree, that 1/2 pound of bacon was 99% fat....yuk One of the best tasing things in life is bacon fat fried eggs :DBfire: :hungry:

I watched a video today where they cooked bacon and eggs in a paper bag. It worked. They also carried their eggs frozen in a sealed water bottle (already cracked). Forgot now, who was looking for a way to transport eggs????
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:29 pm

realityguy, I have thought the shape of a cocktail shaker is attractive for a stove.

There are different sizes sold for the backpacking/picnic set. It has an insert and it has a lid.

I have seen one sold in REI.

Here are three styles, at Walmart:
Kraftware 24 Oz Polished Groove Cocktail Shaker
Kraftware 22 Oz Polished Stainless Steel Cocktail Shaker
Paderno World Cuisine Cocktail Shaker in Stainless Steel

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm

I saw a cocktail shaker today that had a small lid on top under the larger lid over the large "cup" (24oz,1qt?)which would be a nice way to go..but they wanted $4 and I couldn't find the bottom.I need to check Goodwill on Monday and get a $1.29 one... :mrgreen:

I didn't get shopping as far as I wanted to..chatting with other selling friends.. :roll:

I have a lightweight expanded metal "burner" that has a higher potstand..need a stainless decanter 5" diameter inside and the cocktail shaker..dual purpose if I take Souza and margarita mix!... :mrgreen: )
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:42 pm

You are thinking along the same lines I was thinking: a shaker is useful for backpacking.

I am no longer carrying a wire wisk to make an omelet. I have powdered drink mix that would be helped by a cocktail shaker. I just never saw one for $4 or $1.29 to find out. ;)

I hope you do it. I would like to see the result.

The design cadyak has made me think about the cocktail shakers again.

Maybe a hybrid of a Kelly kettle and a coffee mug stove?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:55 pm

The good(and bad) thing about the kelly is the fire up the middle...I can see having an enclosed fire,just that to me the best place for a water heater is that center portion.Most Cocktail shakers are smaller at the bottom,wide in the middle and small at the top again..if you include the lid are..otherwise they end up as a wide mouthed cup.
Using one in camp..mixing pancake batter,powdered drinks,heating water,drinking cup for soup,drinks,noodles,etc..with the lid you get better heating properties..also the shape(small bottom,larger rim) gives you a better flame retention against the body of the thing.
I was thinking a stainless decanter(straight sides) with a hole the width of the cocktail shakers widest portion in the middle of the top and slightly larger,say 1/4" around it..would bring the flames back to the pot size placed above it.I think I can cut my expanded metal woodstove about 1" down and use that top ring intact as a potstand on top of the decanter.
I have a dog biscuit decanter that already has a rectangular hole in the side for feeding a fire(has a window and stainless frame that is lightly rivetted on it..pop right off)..about 6" inside diameter.
I could use a regular pot also on top,just have to match up a hole with the pot.
I like the idea of heating water under a cooking pot or pan.I have another idea also..i have a a set of triple stacking decanters!I could cook a two/three course meal over one fire.. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Oh Happy Day :D

The small Stainless Kettles are now available.

http://www.kellykettleusa.com/kelly-ket ... ettle.html

I'll be ordering one for myself and my son. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:02 pm

While I was on vacation I received my 2 small Kettles and am eager to try one out. The second one I gave to my wife and she is as happy as a pig in mud :lol:

she told me I have to wait till she's around so we can boil water with them at the same time. Those that boil water together, stay together :o :mrgreen:

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”