small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
Ridgerunner

Re: small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 24, 2010 4:51 pm

(sure is quiet on the board this weekend! it's like the "Connie and Daren Show" )

Indeedly! Zelph and RG are in the bush...IR is in Buckeye country and I am busy with honeydo's while the better half is in SC. I just received a stove in the mail today and will be testing for JT. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon May 24, 2010 4:58 pm

ConnieD wrote:DarenN,

The Kifaru stove is 0.010" thickness?

Decimal point problem? Maybe 12 guage?

no Connie i didn't mis-type that. the thickness is 10 thousandths of an inch. aproximately 1/3 the thickness of twenty gauge. it certainly explains the warpage that we saw in the u-tube vids. (i'm a sheet metal worker by trade, so i know this stuff! ;) )
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Ridgerunner, I missed that.

You didn't notice DarenN's version of small wood stoves for "hunter's tents" ...he camps in style!

Now that is bringing along "the kitchen sink".

DarenN,

I am so not going to purchase that stove.
Last edited by ConnieD on Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 24, 2010 10:52 pm

If I were to purchase a stove, I wood chose one made of staininless. I wood special order one from Deacon Daren.

Connie, which stove have you chosen to purchase after doing the intense research on them? I sure do appreciate all the info that you've gathered, really informative :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 24, 2010 10:57 pm

DarenN, makes a sturdy stove for a cabin.

Did you look at the link he provided. It's beautiful.

However I don't think I would carry it on my back, snowshoeing, for a "winter camp".

Zelph, At this point, it is "too much information".

I think I need to gather more portable wood stove facts: for example, I have the impression a damper and a baffle and a snug-fit door are essentials for design and performance and safety, of course. I have the impression the length of the "north-south" lay of the wood, may be important: for example, the Hunter stove has live coals in the morning, in one review, and the Scout stove is good for 5-6 hours from one. It seems the length of the box is important, not only for the length the wood is cut. For example: the Scout stove has 16" length, the Hunter stove has 24" length.

He says, it holds heat for 5-6 hrs. I don't know if that means the fire has not extinguished.

He says, his stoves are airtight and fully loaded, dampered, it will burn all night.

The next size up, the Hunter stove at 42 lbs. has three reviews, one reporting live coals are found in the morning.

I would welcome opinions on these, or, other portable "sheepherder's" "packer's" and tent stoves.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 pm

I like the multi-purpose of the top rack on this wood burner. It would make a nice base camp wall tent stove.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTABLE-TENT-CAMPING-STEEL-WOOD-STOVE-HUNTING-FISHING-/400123176605?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2933269d
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 25, 2010 10:59 am

Interesting how the cooking rack and tubes attached to the top surface. The racks fold up making a carry handle.

It appears it would pack in a pack horse or pack mule pannier or, maybe, attached to a frame pack. But 30 lbs?

My entire backpack weight is 30 lbs. or 35 lbs. maximum.

Last edited by ConnieD on Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 am

I found a review ref: http://www.ehko.info/reviews_tgstove.html of the TiGoat Vortex stove, mentioned first here.

He said,
I have used the stove in temperatures above 50 deg F, and in temps as low as -48 deg F.

In his review, he cautions:
Note the first burn of the stove in the above and below pictures. Heat-treating of the stove and chimney will ensure your stove is easy to assemble and take-down in future use. Slowly bring your temperature up making the fire larger over a 1 hour period. Maintain a good 1-2 hour burn and allow the stove to extinguish itself and air cool to ambient temperature. Do not close the damper during the first burn. Allow full heat up the chimney pipe. Do not place a pot of water or any object on top of your stove during the first burn as this may warp the panel.

He has more complete instructions in his review. This is the process the wood stove maker told me. Now, I wonder what the thickness of the materials of the TiGoat Vortex and TiGoat Cylinder titanium stoves are. :geek: DarenN, The review has pictures.

In his review he says,
However when compared to stainless steel stoves of similar size, this stove beats them hands down in performance, weight and long term durability.
and
- Will not warp and bend as drastically as stainless steel models.

I suspected this would be true. But what stainless steel stoves did he compare? He does say,
Your stove is now heat-treated and ready for years of reliable use. You cannot overheat this stove. You may read conflicting information on the web regarding warping issues regarding stainless steel versions of similar type stoves such as those made by Kifaru. Stainless steel stoves will warp badly, and continue to warp over time.

He also said,
- Assembly is much easier with thumb screws and requires no tools - should come standard.
- Front door of stove is a critical design flaw. Needs to be larger for more access to the fire box.
- Damper assembly needs refinement. Tighter seal and should stay put when adjusted.

The review was written in 2008.

He has excellent information about different types of wood for a wood stove.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 pm

ConnieD wrote:I found a review ref: http://www.ehko.info/reviews_tgstove.html of the TiGoat Vortex stove, mentioned first here.

Turk's review of the stove is very informative to say the least.I first met him on Sgt. Rocks' site. He gave a great description of the Bush Buddy when it first came out. turk is a gear junkie extrordinaire :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 25, 2010 6:11 pm

I would like to know what he thinks about the stoves, here, in this thread.

I would like to see him, the Deacon, DarenN, Ridgerunner, realityguy and you Zelph and others come in this forum to have a discussion :!:

...features: damper, baffle, door closed tight; overall size, volume; stovepipe minimum height over the top of the tent, the roll-up stovepipe over years of use; thickness of stove materials, dissimiliar metals as used in the stoves here.

...suggested portable "hunter's tent" stove improvements.

...and anything else thrown in the discussion :!:

...other stoves?

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”